Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Hardware other than iPod? (Read 5582 times) previous topic - next topic

Hardware other than iPod?

I've done some searching around this forum, and did a google search, but didn't see any info that helped. My question is this: are any companies other than Apple developing a portable mp4/aac player? My music is all encoded as iTunes M4A (encoded from my own CDs, not purchased, so DRM isn't an issue), and I was thinking of looking for a player some time in the future. Is iPod gonna be it for a long while, or are other companies developing stuff?

Reply #2
Most of Nokia's mobile phones play aac and newer ones even support mpeg-4 conatiner.

Reply #3
I would whole-heartedly recommend a Rio Karma. I love mine and this is my second DAP. I hate iPods for various reasons.

However, AFAIK, no player other than the iPod plays mp4/aac. Hence you are stuck with it. You can consider re-ripping your music, but that's entirely upto you.

Reply #4
I remember reading somewhere that Daisy Multimedia Diva Gem played back AAC files. kalmark said in this thread post 19 that it no longer does. But maybe you can still find one that could play AAC somewhere...
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

Reply #5
Check out this CEBIT report:

The Register

Reply #6
new Panasonic D-snap Audio presumably supports AAC. See http://i4u.com.  The storage medium are SD cards.

Reply #7
A PocketPC (if you have use for the other functions, otherwhise i'll be too expensive) and Nero ShowTime Mobile

Reply #8
I'm a little new to AAC/MP4/M4A, so I have a few questions.

I understand that:
-Advanced Audio Coding is the base codec used in MPEG-4 audio encoding. -Raw AACs themselves generally cannot (do not?) have tagging capabilities.. they are like a raw wave, but lossy
-MP4/M4A are AAC audio files inside an MPEG-4 container (although MP4 need not be audio, necessarily).

The questions I have are this:
Are MP4s and M4As the exact same data, or are they in different containers?
If a DAP/software plays back AACs, does that mean in plays M4A and MP4? How about the opposite?

And finally... if you change the file extension of an MP4 to M4A, does that make it an M4A, or are there other differences to the container?

Thanks for any info,
Supacon