Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Classical samples suit (Read 11882 times) previous topic - next topic

Classical samples suit

Reply #25
what are these ##1 ##2 ##3 ##4 and slow? Are these different positions or different rounds or what? And are you using the same sample all the time?

For example with 2.5.6.9 ##1 is 2.9 but ##2 is 1.0 ? It goes from "slightly annoying" (3) to "very annoying" (1)??
Juha Laaksonheimo

Classical samples suit

Reply #26
naturfreak: The issue here was not if you can ABX the file overall or not. I don't think it's really hard and not the point here. The issue here is do you hear very bad distortion during 20-24s with the trumpets/horn with hornpipe?
Juha Laaksonheimo

Classical samples suit

Reply #27
naturfreak: The issue here was not if you can ABX the file overall or not. I don't think it's really hard. The issue here is do you hear very bad distortion during 20-24s with the trumpets/horn with hornpipe?

Sorry, JohnV.

I will check it.

Classical samples suit

Reply #28
Yes there are more distortions in one of the files if I can rely on my ears but I won't describe them as "very bad". (Section 20-24 s)

Classical samples suit

Reply #29
Oups, sorry for being so confuse.
##1, ##2... were the four bitztests I made in a first time. "slow" is the fifth and last one, with a more care in notation (hierarchy). First blitztest (##1) was the fastest one : notation isn't reliable at all. No need to compare or to take in count the the notation of the two first tests.

JohnV: if you have the 2.5.7.7. could you compare the extreme beginning of englese.wav. I ABX with successfully 2.5.7.6 and .7.7: kind of grainy sound, something dirty...

Classical samples suit

Reply #30
The following samples are for Ivan Dimkovic. They're all under 30 seconds, and were extracted from classical discs. I've no other place for upload them.
Various artifacts appear with aacenc32, with streaming profile (2.5.8.2. & 2.5.8.4.). Lame ABR [134] is sometimes better (Zarzuela.wav - Eryximachus.wav - Hérodiade.wav).
Files are tagged, and the COMMENT field contains the ABC/HR log file of ABX tests & comparison between nero AAC, iTunes AAC and lame MP3.
Results obtained with these samples are not representative: I've selected these 7 samples on problems I heard with Nero encodings.

(please, do not comment my notation: there's no relation between the level of the degradation and the level of my irritation)

Four short samples (Orchestral - String quartet - Gamba)

Classical samples suit

Reply #31
Lyric one, with problems on trumpets.
Complete sample: could integrate a listening test at < 150 kbps.

Classical samples suit

Reply #32
Harpsichord with flute and gamba

Classical samples suit

Reply #33
Last one, similar to the previous file :

Classical samples suit

Reply #34
Different from the another, here is an orchestral sample I've ABXed with :
- iTunes [QT 6.4] AAC at 224 kbps
- Nero AAC [2.5.8.4] ::audiophile::
- MPC [1.14] --standard and --insane
- DualStream [4.507] --quality 3
[short details are in COMMENT field of the tags].

The little problem with mpc annoys me, because the incriminated passage doesn't seem to be really hard to encode. I can't say that artifacts are annoying, at least with mpc insane, but at --standard the difference was easy to perceive, without direct comparison.

P.S. In the sample called American (in the Four Samples archive), there's a noise amplification with Vorbis 1.01 I've ABXed at -b 8. It's very obvious at -b 4, obvious at -b 5, and less obvious but still audible above.

Classical samples suit

Reply #36
for Roberto: 19 lyrical samples encoded at 96 kbps (he-aac). For the next multiformat test.

Classical samples suit

Reply #37
Four classical samples for the multiformat test. (MPC --standard)