Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CUETools.Flake 2.2.2 MD5 mismatch in encoded flac CD image (Read 2780 times) previous topic - next topic

CUETools.Flake 2.2.2 MD5 mismatch in encoded flac CD image

reference: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?msg=1016166
@Porcus did you test the files? foo_verifier, foo_bitcompare and flac.exe -t showed anomalies.
Use -V so that the encoder throws errors when MD5 mismatch. So far only this CD has problem, either in separate files or in one image. Removing --vbr the files encoded properly.
Code: [Select]
5 out of 29 files converted with major problems.

Source: "F:\My Music\Game Music\Einhander CD\11 - 突破[Breakthrough].flac"
  An error occurred while writing to file (The encoder has terminated prematurely with code 5 (0x00000005); please re-check parameters) : "H:\11. 突破[Breakthrough].flac"
  Additional information:
  Encoder stream format: 44100Hz / 2ch / 16bps
  Command line: "F:\Software\Player & Codec\CUETools\CUETools.Flake.exe" -q --ignore-chunk-sizes -8 -V --vbr 4 - -o "temp-4071E17331D7A04CACDD90B682F08D96.flac"
  Working folder: H:\
  Conversion failed: The encoder has terminated prematurely with code 5 (0x00000005); please re-check parameters

Source: "F:\My Music\Game Music\Einhander CD\13 - 払暁[Dawn].flac"
  An error occurred while writing to file (The encoder has terminated prematurely with code 5 (0x00000005); please re-check parameters) : "H:\13. 払暁[Dawn].flac"
  Additional information:
  Command line: "F:\Software\Player & Codec\CUETools\CUETools.Flake.exe" -q --ignore-chunk-sizes -8 -V --vbr 4 - -o "temp-322EDDD47174604E85390D5779FAD085.flac"
  Conversion failed: The encoder has terminated prematurely with code 5 (0x00000005); please re-check parameters

Source: "F:\My Music\Game Music\Einhander CD\16 - 焦燥[Impatience].flac"
  An error occurred while writing to file (The encoder has terminated prematurely with code 5 (0x00000005); please re-check parameters) : "H:\16. 焦燥[Impatience].flac"
  Additional information:
  Command line: "F:\Software\Player & Codec\CUETools\CUETools.Flake.exe" -q --ignore-chunk-sizes -8 -V --vbr 4 - -o "temp-F7CE828604ACCD4696C7DC7910958EC2.flac"

Source: "F:\My Music\Game Music\Einhander CD\17 - 熱圏[Thermosphere].flac"
  An error occurred while writing to file (The encoder has terminated prematurely with code 5 (0x00000005); please re-check parameters) : "H:\17. 熱圏[Thermosphere].flac"
  Additional information:
  Command line: "F:\Software\Player & Codec\CUETools\CUETools.Flake.exe" -q --ignore-chunk-sizes -8 -V --vbr 4 - -o "temp-F171283C44598C4BA3A0616461640EF7.flac"

Source: "F:\My Music\Game Music\Einhander CD\21 - 無重量[Zero Gravity].flac"
  An error occurred while writing to file (The encoder has terminated prematurely with code 5 (0x00000005); please re-check parameters) : "H:\21. 無重量[Zero Gravity].flac"
  Additional information:
  Command line: "F:\Software\Player & Codec\CUETools\CUETools.Flake.exe" -q --ignore-chunk-sizes -8 -V --vbr 4 - -o "temp-CDA2793624EC41419FFF9CBE5BC0AE02.flac"

MOD edit: added reference post

Re: CUETools.Flake 2.2.2 MD5 mismatch in encoded flac CD image

Reply #2
Thanks. This really scared me and I checked if my RAM are corrupted or not.

Reply #3
That's quite a W.T.F**k(e)...

It has already been reproduced - and I can confirm the clip @Bogozo posted makes errors with all variable block sizes from 1 to 4 in two different CUETools versions including 2.1.5 (where CUETools.flake.exe had slightly different syntax, that doesn't mean anything else was changed). Nothing wrong with other random files found at this computer where I am now, so I suppose it has to be provoked by something strange. Might check the "test corpus" when I am back at that computer.

korth has already moved this thread, so I assume it is duly noted.

Reply #4
Found the same in my files, in three albums (Flute Music; High Tech Choruses; Jan Johansson's Folkvisor). Checking all --vbr settings from 1 to 4, only one file verified, Jan Johansson at --vbr 3.

I also decoded a few troublesome files with both ffmpeg and reference FLAC, and they agree. So the blame is at the Flake encoder, and luckily not in the reference decoder.

Edit: Might be helpful for debugging to notice that foo_bitcompare gives differences down at -90.31 dB, i.e. the LSB. Also in the Jan Johansson CD where --vbr 3 is correct, the others fail at thousand to two thousand samples, ruling out "random bits happen to hit the correct".

Reply #5
I just found several English phonetics tutorial CD tracks demonstrating vowels, consonants etc have the same issue as well.

Reply #6
When CUEtools flake was new not many people switched from official flac. I use it ten years now and reported encoding bugs but vbr was never tested here.
flacCL only used vbr in non subset levels above 8 afaik.
@Gregory S. Chudov  back when it was new surely could have fixed it when more people were interested back then.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #7
Speaking of flacCL...
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/why-isnt-wavpack-more-popular.31465/post-1111063
I have about 16GB of non-commercial personal archive in 16/48 and 24/48 encoded with flacCL, so the files cannot be verified with any online database. I just scanned all of them and there is no MD5 error. I can't remember the used encoding settings.

Reply #8
@korth
Why did you edit? I PMd a bit with Mr. Chudov. His name is more like Grigory and "Greg" just simpler to use in the country he moved to.

Reply #9
Speaking of flacCL...
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/why-isnt-wavpack-more-popular.31465/post-1111063
I have about 16GB of non-commercial personal archive in 16/48 and 24/48 encoded with flacCL, so the files cannot be verified with any online database. I just scanned all of them and there is no MD5 error. I can't remember the used encoding settings.
By the way there was bug in FLACCL, preventing correct encoding of some files. It was presented in versions pre-2.1.5 and early builds of 2.1.5 - https://sourceforge.net/p/cuetoolsnet/bugs/22/

Reply #10
Last modified : 2014-03-02 02:19:23
Duration : 9:42:09.694 (1 676 625 299 samples)
Sample rate : 48000 Hz
Channels : 2
Bits per sample : 16
Avg. bitrate : 666 kbps
Codec : FLAC
Encoding : lossless
Tool : CUETools FLACCL 2.1.5
Embedded cuesheet : no
So my files are not completely safe. See the timestamp. Anyway, I can't do anything about it now, too late.

Reply #11
So my files are not completely safe. See the timestamp.
As of now, all discovered errors have led to MD5 mismatch - or worse: even if you switched off MD5ing, the FLACCL bugreport indicated that the stream itself would be corrupted.

Anyway, I can't do anything about it now, too late.
Not if they don't verify. Well at least, that would require the bug to be "reversible".

Reply #12
@korth
Why did you edit? I PMd a bit with Mr. Chudov. His name is more like Grigory and "Greg" just simpler to use in the country he moved to.
@Gregory S. Chudov is his HA user name. I edited for a forum "mention"(assuming he has notification enabled).
I suppose I could've left both Gregory and Grigory in the post though.
korth

Reply #13
All cool korth, sorry for my overreaction. Sometimes less coffee...

Reply #14
I can't remember the used encoding settings.
Googled myself and found that I posted in a local forum mentioned a foobar preset in 2013 that worked well for my GPU:
https://www.hkepc.com/forum/viewthread.php?fid=25&tid=1946635
-q -9 --verify --slow-gpu --task-size 256 --cpu-threads 2 - -o %d

Reply #15
@c72578 - Have u noticed this thread?

Reply #17
https://vgmdb.net/album/5066
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyxqUxT0goirVyF6FILtXMKpcQfOwCC5d
CUETools.Flake 2.2.2 failed to encode with --vbr, but now I can predict what kinds for files can benefit from changing the default block size.
With --vbr, this CD has even more error tracks when using presets -1 to -3 than -5 to -8. Only -0 results in no error. The 0-8 presets affect stereo decorrelation (independent, estimate, evaluate, search). Anything other than independent results in error.

Reply #18
Variable block size is getting removed: https://github.com/gchudov/cuetools.net/pull/223
If it cannot be repaired immediately, removing it is better than keeping it - and I don't even know if anyone will miss it. (Except for testing purposes, and those can keep their old builds.)