Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: TAK 2.3.3 Beta thread  (Read 37103 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: TAK 2.3.3 Beta thread

Reply #25
Beta 3 has been added to the first post.

Reply #26
Would you like me to delete the first two?

Reply #27
Yes. Thank you.

Reply #28
beta3 tak_deco_lib.dll works fine with unmodified qaac64/refalac64.

Reply #29
Cool! Thank you.

Reply #30
TAK 2.3.3 has been released.

Reply #31
So great that TAK is alive! Encoding whole collection for years and everything new incoming.
Listen to WMRI...

Reply #32
Hi TBeck.  I was just wondering if you would let TAK be included in Monkey's Audio like FLAC and WavPack are already?

I have the APX file authored and it supports compression, decompression, and verify.

I just don't want to include it unless you give your blessing.

Also, really impressive everything you've done!

Thanks.

Reply #34
Hi TBeck.  I was just wondering if you would let TAK be included in Monkey's Audio like FLAC and WavPack are already?

I have the APX file authored and it supports compression, decompression, and verify.

I just don't want to include it unless you give your blessing.

Also, really impressive everything you've done!

Thanks.
Hi Matt,

it is an honour for me. Really. Please do it.

Without MonkeysAudio there would be no TAK. TAK's early development was primarily driven by my desire to create a fast asymmetrical compressor that could compete with MA's High preset. It wasn't easy...

Sorry for the late reply. I just noticed you sent me me a PM too. For some reason i received no notification.

Reply #35
Thanks Thomas!

Just released:
https://monkeysaudio.com/download.html

I tested on my Windows 7 bottle and my Windows 11 main machine and it works well.  Just let me know if you want anything tuned.

Really amazing work  :)

Reply #36
I'm really overwhelmed by these last few messages, in a good way. :)

With MA, I had the tools needed to start home recording  in Cool Edit Pro and be able to save on storage. I became obsessed with compression ratio vs. performance.

TAK (aka YALAC) was really fresh when it appeared and I was instantly intrigued, and was not disappointed. :)

Before I ramble further, I want to thank Matt and Thomas and David and all the developers and contributors and HA for making audio an awesome experience.

edit: typo
"Something bothering you, Mister Spock?"

Reply #37
Thanks for the new 64-bit DLL. I used it without trouble in a foobar2000 component.

For some reason I see much slower decoding with it than I expected. Same component with the 32-bit DLL reaches 1111x realtime speed, the 64-bit component is limited to 400x realtime speed. 64-bit foobar2000 with ffmpeg decodes at 650x realtime speed.
Tested on Intel Core i9-12900K.

Hi there. How does this 2.3.3 beta 3 actually work with foobar 2000 v2.0 beta 10? It doesn't work for me. Thanks. When i tried to install v0.5.7, it would say, "Could not load component "foo_input_tak.fb2k-component": This component was built for a different processor architecture."

Reply #38
Rather than making another thread:

From https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,122847.msg1028116.html#msg1028116 it seems that everything ffmpeg-based will have issues with old TAK files. If you think there are many old .tak files lying around, you could consider a convert option that preserves whatever wave file metadata and whatever tags.
IDK whether old .tak can be converted to new without recompression, but a recompress option would probably be easy to implement too if you are already going in that direction. Say,
-c -md5 will take a .tak file and convert it to a new-format file with MD5 sum, using the compression mode of the old file.
-c -md5 -p3e will also force recompression using -p3e
Or you can use "-e" rather than -c; this one takes a .tak in.

Reply #39
When I look at the properties of TAK files using the command takc.exe -fi input.tak, I see Seek table: Not available field. However, HA wiki emphasizes seekable playback as a feature of this codec, and once there even was -sts flag, which changed the number of seek points. So what does not available mean today and can it be configured?

If you think there are many old .tak files lying around, you could consider a convert option that preserves whatever wave file metadata and whatever tags … a recompress option would probably be easy to implement too if you are already going in that direction.
+1 for a way to re-compress TAK files in place, just like WavPack and FLAC can do.
• Join our efforts to make Helix MP3 encoder great again
• Opus complexity & qAAC dependence on Apple is an aberration from Vorbis & Musepack breakthroughs
• Let's pray that D. Bryant improve WavPack hybrid, C. Helmrich update FSLAC, M. van Beurden teach FLAC to handle non-audio data

Reply #40
From the changelog, seeking without seek table was introduced in 1.1.0 and then in 1.1.1:

Support for seek tables removed. The new version will neither add seek tables to newly encoded files nor use seek tables contained in files created with older program versions. Important: Seeking in files without seek table is only supported since V1.1.0. Please update the WinAmp plugin and/or the decoding library for full seeking support in media players.