Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Need Help with FLAC tags (Read 3323 times) previous topic - next topic

Need Help with FLAC tags

First time messing with FLAC at all.  Was going to start Archiving my CD collection and wanted to save space on HDD and still have lossless audio so I decided to give FLAC a try.  I was looking on the official FLAC website and it suggested using MP3tag to edit FLAC tags, which is great because I already had that excellent program.  I used MP3tag to edit the FLAC tags and in WMP12 the only tag that shows up is the album art.  In Windows Explorer, none of the tags (including album art) show up.  Just wondering what I'm doing wrong?

Here's the .FLAC and .MP3 in MP3tag as you can see all tags are identical.  You can't see it, but I also clicked on extended tags and added the album art for both.

Here's the original .WAV, .FLAC, & .MP3 in Windows Explorer.  You can't see it, but in the lower left hand corner only the .MP3 shows the image art

Here's the .WAV (top) and .MP3 (bottom) in WMP12.  As you can see, the .WAV has some tags and some are incorrect while the .MP3 has all tags and are correct.

Here's the .FLAC in WMP12.  As you can see, other than the album art, there are NO tags.  Note: the title is not from a "title tag" its just from the filename.

Need Help with FLAC tags

Reply #1
Windows apps don't natively support FLAC. There's software out there that will make it work, though.
For instance (i haven't personally tested this one).

I've had limited success trying this in the past. Now i just sort my collection into 'artist' and 'album' folders, and use a media player that does support FLAC natively.