Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ripping from a DualDisc ISO? (Read 1860 times) previous topic - next topic

Ripping from a DualDisc ISO?

I have a DualDisc ISO, and I want to try and extract the audio from the CD portion of it. Mounting it lets me extract from the DVD side just fine, but when I tried using EAC, it didn't recognize it properly. I also don't have a physical CD drive, so burning is out of the question (I don't know if it would work with a DualDisc anyway). Is there any hope, or is this pretty much impossible?

Re: Ripping from a DualDisc ISO?

Reply #1
I would have assumed there would be two separate ISO files...

Can you play the CD portion of the mounted virtual disc?   When you mount the file do you "see" the CD files or anything other than the VIDEO_TS and (empty) AUDIO_TS folder that you see on a regular video DVD?  

I also don't have a physical CD drive, so burning is out of the question (I don't know if it would work with a DualDisc anyway).
Do you have a friend with a computer?  Or, you can buy an external CD drive for less than $20 USD.     ...But, I also doubt it would work, unless you had two ISOs.

Reply #2
Mounting the .ISO gives both a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder, but the AUDIO_TS folder is not empty like you say. Is this what I'm looking for? I figured it was just the audio portion of the DVD.

Reply #3
On a regular video DVD the audio & video are multiplexed together in VOB files (MPEG files) in the VIDEO_TS folder and the AUDIO_TS folder is empty. 

DVD-Audio discs contain high-resolution audio in the AUDIO_TS folder.   The VIDEO_TS folder is either empty or doesn't exist.   DVD-Audio discs won't play on a regular DVD player.

There are "audio only" DVDs structured like a regular video DVD with VOB files in the VIDEO_TS folder and the audio/video files usually contains a still image (or maybe a different image for each chapter, etc.)

There are some DVD-Audio discs that also have the "audio only" audio/video files VIDE0-TS folder so they will play on a regular DVD player or a special DVD-Audio player.    It looks like that's what you have.   And in that case the audio content is usually the same, just different formats.

Reply #4
I see, that's good to know. The hunt continues, I suppose.

Reply #5
If it's proper DVD-A disc, this software will help extract audio:
https://www.videohelp.com/software/DVD-Audio-Explorer

You can't have CD Audio and DVD part in the same image, I am guessing you have DVD-A disc with DVD Video compliant part for players that don't support DVD-A.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #6
If there is data in the AUDIO_TS folder, then the DualDisc contains DVD-Audio as has already been stated. You should be able to rip it with DVD-Audio Extractor.

DualDiscs were two sided, with CD audio on one side and DVD content on the other. If you only have one ISO, you probably only have the DVD side of the disc.

Reply #7
EZ CD Audio Converter / FLAC or WavPack

Reply #8
Mounting it lets me extract from the DVD side just fine, [...] I also don't have a physical CD drive, so burning is out of the question
You mount it, so you have a DVD drive? Those should be able to read the CD side too. Can't it? (Yes, you should flip the disc!)

Burning? No, but why?

Reply #9
Windows lets you mount an .ISO file as if it were a CD. No need for a CD drive. I suspect it works the same for an image of a DVD.

Reply #10
I have 10+ DualDiscs from 2004-2006. I used to rip and burn both sides without any problem back around that time.

The CD side is standard CD audio which should be extractable using EAC.

The DVD side is standard DVD-Video, which should be extractable using programs such as DVD Decrypter. Note: You can also rip the high-res PCM audio using that or similar programs.

According to Wikipedia the DVD side also contained DVD-Audio portions on at least some discs, though I can't remember if I ever played or ripped it from my discs.