Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iTunes 10 (Read 76021 times) previous topic - next topic

iTunes 10

· Introducing Ping. Use Ping to follow your favorite artists and friends or connect with the world's most passionate music fans. Discover the music everyone is talking about, listening to, and downloading.
· Rent HD TV episodes for just 99¢ each. Watch them on your Mac or PC, on-the-go with iPhone or iPod touch, or in your living room with the all new Apple TV.
· Play your favorites on the all new iPod touch, iPod nano, iPod shuffle, and Apple TV.
· Play music wirelessly with AirPlay on AirPlay-enabled speakers, home theater receivers, and iPod accessories.
· Explore many look-and-feel improvements throughout iTunes.
· Enjoy performance improvements which make iTunes faster and more responsive.
· Additional voice support with VoiceOver Kit for iPod.

DDL: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Home: http://www.apple.com/itunes/

iTunes 10

Reply #1
Yay!  I always wanted to integrate Twitter, Facebook, and the iTunes Store...  Oh wait, no I didn't.  The only improvement that I am liking is that iTunes 10 seems to run a little faster than the previous version on my system, that is it.  I could care less about all of that other stuff.  The iPod announcements were disappointing (though I like the hardware) in that the capacities I wanted weren't announced and the current max capacity for the iPod touch is way too expensive.  No iOS 4 for my iPad until November.  So, all-in-all, the only "new" feature that iTunes 10 brings, that I am using, is the increase in performance speed.  It isn't much (at least not like iTunes 4 or 6) but it is a whole lot better than what it was.

iTunes 10

Reply #2
Most of the stuff only applies to the US as well. You can't rent most of the content in the UK or even buy some of it.

iTunes 10

Reply #3
Please don't take me wrong, but why is iTunes announced on main HA portal?
Aren't out there enough forums covering it, or may we expect WMP etc announcements?

iTunes 10

Reply #4
Well, it is "validated news", many people are enthusiastic about it, and it concern's audio technology. Only the hydrogen part doesn't seem to fit in just yet. The latter impression I have quite often...

iTunes 10

Reply #5
Maybe the most important change in that new version hasn't been quoted above.
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

iTunes 10

Reply #6

I admit that I am neither an Apple nor iTunes fan, but it is somehow disconcerting for me, that a new iTunes version is announced here but not the new foobar2000 1.1 ...
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

iTunes 10

Reply #7
So people can complain about how much they don't like it or don't like that it's in validated news?

Aren't out there enough forums covering it, or may we expect WMP etc announcements?
If a moderator or administrator feels it's worthy, then yes, absolutely.

I admit that I am neither an Apple nor iTunes fan, but it is somehow disconcerting for me, that a new iTunes version is announced here but not the new foobar2000 1.1 ...
No one is stopping you from making a submission, though I believe foobar2000 v1 is already here.

For those who are here to complain, look over what is in this forum.  If it is a major release and deemed of interest to our members it can go in validated news.

Further posts of this nature will be binned.

iTunes 10

Reply #8
I'm fine with it. It's not like this is a high traffic area. Whether you personally prefer it or not, iTunes is a big deal in the audio realm.

iTunes 10

Reply #9
Can't say I care about any of the new features, however I do welcome the performance improvements and iTunes renders fonts a little better as well as using same Windows fonts used throughout the rest of the OS, makes iTunes look that little bit more like a native Windows app.

iTunes 10

Reply #10
I had ditch iTunes due to poor performance on Windows. Is it worth me having another look?

iTunes 10

Reply #11
It is not possible to enlarge album artwork in list view in iTunes 10, as it was possible in previous versions.

iTunes 10

Reply #12
I had ditch iTunes due to poor performance on Windows. Is it worth me having another look?

iTunes 10 is faster then 9 but not by much.  Still if you want to just install it and give it a try, go nuts

iTunes 10

Reply #13
Running it on a Mac for me it performance has improved 10 fold. I couldn't be happier with iTunes.

It's still by far the best app to organise your music.

iTunes 10

Reply #14
It's still by far the best app to organise your music.

That would be your preference. Me, I'm a man of humble needs, and get by with a bit of folder structure and a fairly light installation of FB2K.

Nonetheless, since it's been brought to my attention again, I might be willing to have a go. After all, going out to try new stuff is what landed me into the welcoming arms of Foobar in the first place.

iTunes 10

Reply #15
How to get rid of the stupid "traffic lights" on Mac, and restore normal title bar behaviour:

Code: [Select]
defaults write com.apple.iTunes full-window -int -1

iTunes 10

Reply #16
I like iTunes and Foobar. In fact, I have both installed on my primary computer (a "high-end" PC notebook.) Actually my Foobar is the portable version and I use it a lot. Just not to organize my library for that computer.

Reading a few of the above comments: I don't understand the hatred for iTunes. It is bloated, but is this even a problem, even for Windows-users anymore?? What, are people still rocking 2 gigs of RAM for a Windows installation? I'm sure it will work great on even a Mac Mini Snow Leopard server with 2 Gb of RAM and base specs. (I'll find out soon enough.)

Apple is currently the only manufacturer offering a 160 Gb DAP (that is not huge) that I know of. That alone is enough for me. This mentality that "it's popular and all of the idiots are using it" isn't helpful or relevant. I won't be downloading music from the iTunes store, but that's my personal preference. I archive actual CDs as FLAC and convert them to ALAC for my DAP. I'm happy.

I'm also happy to see posts about new versions of iTunes. Thank you for that.

Do people actually think that F2k "sounds" better than iTunes or vice versa?
The Loudness War is over. Now it's a hopeless occupation.

iTunes 10

Reply #17
It's simply a matter of personal preferences.  Each of those apps has it's pros and cons for various people.

I use both FB2K and iTunes depending on what I'm doing.
JXL

iTunes 10

Reply #18
I like iTunes and Foobar. In fact, I have both installed on my primary computer (a "high-end" PC notebook.) Actually my Foobar is the portable version and I use it a lot. Just not to organize my library for that computer.

Reading a few of the above comments: I don't understand the hatred for iTunes. It is bloated, but is this even a problem, even for Windows-users anymore?? What, are people still rocking 2 gigs of RAM for a Windows installation? I'm sure it will work great on even a Mac Mini Snow Leopard server with 2 Gb of RAM and base specs. (I'll find out soon enough.)

'bloated'... more like stupidly immense, now your audio player becomes your 'social' service. That is over the top and deserves a whole new word for bloatedness.

It used to not even work right (rips+encodes), and honestly i still don't get the need some people have for 'libraries' of music, but hey, some developer wanted to be different so they included that 'feature' and the stupid music player is now your file manager and social service too apparently. Even foobar has that dumb 'file-manager masquerading as a 'library'' as an option. But it is optional in foobar, not on-all-the-time like iTunes and Windows Media Player.

That those things work and some people believe they are essential is another kudos to marketing.

Opinions tend to be opinionated *shrugs*. I hope my 'mini-rant' answered your question.

iTunes 10

Reply #19
People complaining iTunes is bloated just disable what you don't use. You can even do a custom install and select what you only use.

It can be as heavy oras light as you like.

iTunes 10

Reply #20
Well, I use it a lot for copying music on iPod - I know there are other programs for that, but I am not really willing to run programs as administrator just to be able to copy album art.
The most significant change is that iTunes after copying my mp3s on iPod doesn't search for gapless information anymore in files on iPod.
Error 404; signature server not available.

iTunes 10

Reply #21
@Billytheonion's last reply:

Nonsense!

iTunes will still install all that crap even if you don't use it.  What's more it also installs its own drivers and other system files which have interfered with the operation of other programs on my system.

iTunes 10

Reply #22
Greynol, it is possible, but it's not really legal, as you need to extract already compiled installation file.
Error 404; signature server not available.

iTunes 10

Reply #23
Billy, you don’t have to defend Apple at every opportunity.

iTunes does come with a lot of crap enabled as default, which although able to be disabled in some cases, can just be annoying. Must we have to disable it all? And it doesn't allow simple drag'n'drop to the iPod (instead storing all media files on the device as seemingly randomly-chosen and cryptically named hidden folders*), doesn't support playing files unless they're added to the library (as just said), still stores personal information in purchased files (and DRM-encrypts videos), and features other restrictions, of which other users could probably provide much better examples.

And of said “crap”, a lot is this irritating stuff that chooses music or creates playlists for you automatically--because Apple assume people are too daft to think for themselves, perhaps?--and/or allows you to share your listening habits or follow those of others.

But colourful adverts with white-headphoned folk dancing around sell better than functionality and thinking for yourself. (I think it'll be Linux for me next time, in case anyone's not sure. )

* It does offer sane automatic “Media type/Artist/Album/nn. Title.ext” organisation of files on your computer, but drag'n'drop to device would be nice.

iTunes 10

Reply #24
I'm not just talking about Bonjour and the like, but the iTunes store, and the rest of the stuff used to make iTunes do "cool" things.  It's amazing how foobar2000 can do just about anything iTunes can do (and a whole lot more) at an order of magnitude less space.  That iTunes takes what seems like 20 seconds to start is beyond absurd.