Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Mastering for vinyl (Read 1920 times) previous topic - next topic

Mastering for vinyl

Part 1:
http://www.themasterdiskrecord.com/2012/02...tal-age-part-1/

Part 2:
http://www.themasterdiskrecord.com/2012/03...tal-age-part-2/

Interesting stuff. So it's possible to keep the modern "sound" of clipressed CD masters without actually clipping anything, giving the same modern sound, but with better dynamics.

But sadly the resulting superior master must then be compromised for cutting to vinyl. Shame they don't just use that "vinyl" master for the CD! Why don't they? Because the client wants a clipressed CD.

Cheers,
David.

Mastering for vinyl

Reply #1
I have noticed at least a person has operated a pressing factory, I guess he must be crazy (On Youtube, the uploader is the person). However the mastering considers lots of thing including the microphones, the environment (because of the nature) and the media used.

Suppose the power of vinyl only relies on microphones. When I have obtain some vinyl rip and some remastered.  I have notice something very interesting.

I have bought a re-mastered Dave's Time Out (K2HD is supposed strong, but it is failed because of Sony, the record like the first Re-mastered ), Ageing is the problem but the microphone used during recording is the most critical, After I have tried to tune up close to the environment, I guess in 1950-1960s, the microphones used cannot exceed -90dB so the Red Book Format introduced can put the signal in.

It looks like the microphones used are the major problem regardless the mono and stereo so there are lots of bad mastering after 1990s.

In the vinyl, you only need to consider the environment since the signal must be in analogue.  If you are using digital recording ,then it is no need to make any vinyl copies since it is better to be made from tape with simple preparations (Just the wave,not calculated like film).