Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Yahoo releases first legal Lyrics site on the web (Read 5735 times) previous topic - next topic

Yahoo releases first legal Lyrics site on the web

Yahoo! and Gracenote, with the blessing of the major record labels, have released the first legal lyrics site on the web:
http://news.com.com/Yahoo%2C+Gracenote+lau...ml?tag=nefd.top

It looks like the music industry is now going to step up its efforts to go after unlicensed Lyrics sites.

Perhaps the availability of licensed, legal song lyrics will spur Apple to add Lyrics inside iTunes tracks, plus add an option to display the lyrics on iTunes, Apple TVs, iPhones and iPods.

This Yahoo!, Gracenote release may bring lyrics out of the closet and into the mainstream in many media sources/devices.

Update:
It appears that Apple iTunes is in talks to license the lyrics database from Gracenote as well for potential use in its products.

Link to: View Yahoo!'s LYRICS Database

Reply #1
I could definitely see this as a future feature for purchased tracks. Maybe that will be one of the benefits of non-DRM tracks from iTunes and other stores starting in May?
iTunes 10 - Mac OS X 10.6
256kbps AAC VBR
iPhone 4 32GB

Reply #2
I could definitely see this as a future feature for purchased tracks. Maybe that will be one of the benefits of non-DRM tracks from iTunes and other stores starting in May?

Also maybe indies on eMusic will start allowing lyrics to be stored in tags.

I don't know the current state of MP3 Tagging programs regarding lyrics stored in tags of MP3 files, but Josh Coalson, the FLAC author, in a previous reply to me said that the use of the 'LYRICS' tag was intuitive for FLAC files and he didn't see any problem for adoption of the 'LYRICS' tag to store lyrics in FLAC files.

Hopefully non-DRM formats like FLAC and MP3 will standardize the tags programs use for storing lyrics text, so that one common tag will exist (like 'LYRICS') that all audio programs can use to display or edit song lyrics in music files.

Florian wrote me that his MP3TAG editor already supports the LYRICS tag for FLAC files, as he outlines below:
"The LYRICS tag is already supported, since it is a simple VorbisComment entry. Just open the extended tag dialog ('View > Extended tags' or Alt+T) and add a new LYRICS field."

Reply #3
I'm excited about the possibility of media players such as WMP and iTunes being able to fetch official (as opposed to fan-submitted), synchronized lyrics for tracks in your library .

Hasn't happened yet, but let's hope
EAC>1)fb2k>LAME3.99 -V 0 --vbr-new>WMP12 2)MAC-Extra High

Reply #4
It looks like the music industry is now going to step up its efforts to go after unlicensed Lyrics sites.

Meaning people will get sued and have their possessions and wife taken away from them?

Reply #5

Meaning people will get sued and have their possessions and wife taken away from them?
I was just thinking the same thought: are they going to sue me for unlicensed lyric quotations???

I'm laughing at that thought but I would be damned not imaging the government trying to pull that.
OP can't edit initial post when a solution is determined  :'-(

Reply #6
I'm excited about the possibility of media players such as WMP and iTunes being able to fetch official (as opposed to fan-submitted), synchronized lyrics for tracks in your library .

Yes, buggy lyrics typed in by who knows who, are no fun, not to mention possibly illegal. Maybe with this Yahoo/Gracenote move, the music industry will realize that the more they give us (liner notes, lyrics) for the music, the more it should encourage people to buy legal copies of their music. We shall see if this Lyrics inclusion trend with songs catches on (or not). I sure hope it does, and that hardware and software manufacturers take advantage when lyrics are present in a song file to give the user the chance/option to display them.

Reply #8
Yes, buggy lyrics typed in by who knows who, are no fun, not to mention possibly illegal.

I've never cared about legality since, as far as I'm concerned, the current IP/patent/copyright system is hopelessly backward - and at the rate of current technical advance will always be so.

I just want something that works and suits my needs. I don't care about the license, who wrote it, who owns it, etc. Oh, and the less it costs me, the better.
EAC>1)fb2k>LAME3.99 -V 0 --vbr-new>WMP12 2)MAC-Extra High

Reply #9
Now it appears that Apple is considering adding song lyrics to licensed music they sell to iTunes and their Apple products.
See article here.
Also see this article describing Apple iTunes and Lyrics.

Quote from above article:

"The deal caps months of discussions between Yahoo and Gracenote, which said it was also talking with various other music partners, like Apple Inc.'s iTunes."

"We wouldn't be in the business to launch just one service, so stay tuned," said Palmer.

"He said publishers embraced his company's plan to create a lyrics database because they felt lyrics were an untapped resource at a time when consumers were increasingly getting them through the various rogue sites."

"Ralph Peer, chief executive officer of music publishing firm, peermusic, told Reuters last week that unlicensed Web sites have been a major issue."

Can anyone actually find the yahoo site or have any info on what type of service they will actually offer?

Here it is: View Yahoo!'s LYRICS Database

Until Apple adds lyrics of its own, here is a tutorial on how to manually add song lyrics to your songs using iTunes and also how to display them on your 5G iPod or on an iPod nano:
http://www.tuaw.com/2007/03/15/howto-lyrics-on-your-ipod/

Reply #10
Yahoo!'s LYRICS Database I believe is used to help you find the song if you know some of the lyrics. If however you are looking for the lyrics or a song or artist then you just use music.yahoo.com and then look up the name of the song/artist and there is he option to look at their lyrics.
Sorry, I have nothing witty to say here.

Reply #11
For once this is actually a great idea. I am willing to bet that all the 'good will' came from yahoo, probably paying some hefty fees, but making the lyrics available for free.

Unfortunately, it's all crippled: the lyrics are actually shown as an image (probably build on the fly), which prevents doing anything useful with them. On top of that, the song samples provided only work in internet explorer.

Reply #12
How do they think they are competing with free lyrics sites when they provide no service? Users want to be able to get the lyrics, search them, ect, not look at a picture of them...

Reply #13
How do they think they are competing with free lyrics sites when they provide no service? Users want to be able to get the lyrics, search them, ect, not look at a picture of them...

You're right. I don't think a commercial database will ever suit the needs of real music fans. Personally i don't give a shit about about Beyonce, Nelly Furtado and similar lyrics.  The 95% of lyrics that i'm interested in i can retrieve through the LyricsDB foobar plugin, find on DarkLyrics or on the artists webpage. The rest in the most cases was never published, not even on the booklets so i don't think that will be available on Yahoo 

Reply #14
Yes, buggy lyrics typed in by who knows who, are no fun, not to mention possibly illegal. Maybe with this Yahoo/Gracenote move, the music industry will realize that the more they give us (liner notes, lyrics) for the music, the more it should encourage people to buy legal copies of their music.

I think you're definitely on to something there. My guess is that a heck of a lot of people would like them, and the more reliable the better.

This is also one of the remaining attractions of CDs, as you're perhaps pointing out when you also mention liner notes. The same goes for the artwork, doesn't it? Better be sure to supply good quality scans and at a reasonable size (say, 600 x 600 pixels, such as the iTunes Store uses) to online stores, if you want people to buy downloads. Downloads are cheaper for the record labels than CDs, but they'd better try harder to meet the remaining attractions of CDs, if they want people to buy downloads.