Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar messing with my uTorrent downloads (Read 2917 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar messing with my uTorrent downloads

This is one of those "outside the lines" subjects and according to the the Foobar forum rules, did not belong there. I am running Windows 7 and the latest versions of Foobar and uTorrent. Everything worked fine until a few days ago, Now, everytime I open Foobar, my utorrent downloads disconnect with the "cannot access file" WriteToDisk error message. When I close Foobar I can restart the downloads and they continue until I open Foobar again. My understanding is that it is some kind of file sharing problem. I know there are some possible workarounds, such as sending the torrent downloads to a different folder, but I had this problem last year and figured out how to run both without conflicts. The problem is that now, a year later, I have a new computer and for the life of me I can't remember or find online how I fixed it! Any suggestions? If this is any help, I create new folders to download the uTorrent files to, so Foobar has never been directly associated with the new folders.

Reply #1
I've noticed this same issue: Windows 7, 64-bit, latest versions of foobar and uTorrent as of last week. It's got something to do with the file permissions. If you browse to the downloads folder (in Windows), right-click on a given folder, you will likely see the "Read-only" option is checked. Toggling read-only to off resolved the issue.

It seems that what's happening is uTorrent has started marking files as read-only by default, and foobar is trying to modify them. I haven't checked, but there is probably an option to change that in uTorrent somewhere. In my case I would only get these errors when trying to update the file tags, or move the file, etc. If you are getting an error just on playback, something else might cause it.

Reply #2
I've noticed this same issue: Windows 7, 64-bit, latest versions of foobar and uTorrent as of last week. It's got something to do with the file permissions. If you browse to the downloads folder (in Windows), right-click on a given folder, you will likely see the "Read-only" option is checked. Toggling read-only to off resolved the issue.

It seems that what's happening is uTorrent has started marking files as read-only by default, and foobar is trying to modify them. I haven't checked, but there is probably an option to change that in uTorrent somewhere. In my case I would only get these errors when trying to update the file tags, or move the file, etc. If you are getting an error just on playback, something else might cause it.

Thanks for setting me on the right track ... your mention of "read-only" hooked me up with a solution online - I changed the uTorrent Advanced setting "bt.read_only_on_complete" to false. After 10 minutes with Foobar running, two uTorrent files are downloading without interruption.