Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Winamp Flac Playback Quality (Read 5889 times) previous topic - next topic

Winamp Flac Playback Quality

Hi,

Apologies for this being a naive query, but I am about to rip all my CDs to a lossless format and I just want to be sure.

I have chosen to use AutoFlac to rip to individual files plus cue sheet. I actually love iTunes and would prefer to  use it, but it doesn't support Flac and I understand that Flac is probably the best, so I'm willing to sacrifice it. 

However, I decided to compare a Flac file played on Winamp and an Apple Lossless file (of the same track) on iTunes. And you know what, the Apple Lossless sounded slightly better. It was a little brighter and had slightly better seperation. I made sure that both players had no EQ on or pre-amp.

So what I need to know, is this simply a difference in performance between Winamp and iTunes, or is it down to the file format. If so, then shouldn't I be ripping to Apple Lossless?

Shouldn't lossless formats kind of sound as good as each other?

Reply #1
Yeah. That's the magic of placebo. Did you verify your subjective results by doing a double blind listening test?

Reply #2
Do you have replaygain enabled?  If the FLAC file has replaygain and has an adjustment of -6dB or more (more negative), then it's going to be quieter than the ALAC file, which might explain the difference.

Reply #3
Do you have replaygain enabled?  If the FLAC file has replaygain and has an adjustment of -6dB or more (more negative), then it's going to be quieter than the ALAC file, which might explain the difference.

Yes, I do have Replay Gain selected in AutoFlac. Should I change the setting, or is it not affecting the actual quality?

Reply #4
ReplayGain doesn't affect the sound quality. it just lowers the volume down automatically. i personally would suggest turning off ReplayGain.

Reply #5
more specifically: turning replaygain on in the player can affect the volume.  replaygain values added by autoflac are just tags and only affect playback when used by a player.  you can always get the lossless original back by not using them.

Josh

Reply #6
more specifically: turning replaygain on in the player can affect the volume.  replaygain values added by autoflac are just tags and only affect playback when used by a player.  you can always get the lossless original back by not using them.

Josh

Any idea where I would find the option not to play the Replay Gain on Winamp?

Reply #7