Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Unable to fast-forward or rewind some FLACs (Read 2259 times) previous topic - next topic

Unable to fast-forward or rewind some FLACs

Hi All.  I’m new to this forum and I’m hoping someone can help me out. 

I use MusicBee and occasionally, when I’ve selected output to a UPnP device, I’m unable to fast-forward or rewind a FLAC that has been encoded by MusicBee, which if I get it right utilises FLAC v1.3.2.   Yet if I then encode such a FLAC with either dBpoweramp’s Music Converter, or with the MediaHuman Audio Converter, which uses Lavf58.20.100, fast-forward and rewind works.

I’m at a loss why this should occur - ::).  I always select standard compression and haven’t altered MusicBee’s default encoding parameter, which is: -b 512 -s -5 -o [outputfile] – 

Can anything be done to overcome this issue? 

Re: Unable to fast-forward or rewind some FLACs

Reply #1
Remove -b 512 if you don't use lossywav and let flac use its default blocksize. A blocksize of 512 afaik is only beneficial for optimizing the compression together with lossywav.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #2
Remove -b 512 if you don't use lossywav and let flac use its default blocksize. A blocksize of 512 afaik is only beneficial for optimizing the compression together with lossywav.

A speedy response Wombat and much appreciated – I’ll try what you suggest

Reply #3
I've now removed -b 512 and at the same time have upgraded to FLAC v1.3.3 20190804, but still no joy  :( .  I've re-encoded the tracks I'm having this issue with but remain unable to fast-forward or rewind them to a different position when they're playing them and when I've selected output to a UPnP device (a Pi/DAC running Moode Audio) - if I attempt this playback reverts back to the start of the track.  However, as before I can do this if I change the output to the PC or indeed to a DAC, via a SPDIF input.  Any further thoughts re' this issue will be really appreciated.

Reply #4
I lately noticed when my Logitech Media Server streams flac and decodes on the server side i can't skip inside files also. This once worked.
There is a possible fix and this fix is indeed related directly to flac behaviour.
Maybe somebody knowing more about the code can make sense out of this.
https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver/issues/277
https://github.com/mw9/flac/commit/8f43e76f5d25ce7874a2bdf766165deacc77680c
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!