Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Needed equipment for computer audio (Read 12185 times) previous topic - next topic

Needed equipment for computer audio

Reply #25

These are conclusions made from the most reputable scientists in the field such as Dr. Floyd Toole and Sean Olive, just so you know.

This is interesting. Did they publish in JASA or another journal of similar reputation? Do you have references?

The publication for loudspeaker research is generally JAES.

The original project, where it was found that timbre resolution was increased to subjects with proper delayed reflections under specific circumstances was: "The Modification of Timbre by Resonances: Perception and Measurement", Floyd Toole, Sean Olive, JAES, Vol. 36, No. 3, 1988, March, pages 122-141

A recent article where Toole discusses/overviews many relevant perceptual works, including the timbre issue:

Loudspeakers and Rooms for Sound Reproduction—A Scientific Review
Floyd E. Toole
JAES,  June, 2006, Vol. 54, No. 6, pages 451-476

-Chris

Reply #26
There seems to be a lot of confusion over the term 'active loudspeaker'.

An active loudspeaker is a loudspeaker that uses an active (as opposed to passive) crossover. It is the crossover that is either active or passive, and hence the speaker is so called. A crossover is an active crossover when it uses electronics like transistors that must be powered for the crossover to operate. Passive crossovers do not require electricity to operate.

The amplifiers and crossover of an active loudspeaker need not all be in the same speaker box. The distinction between an active and a passive loudspeaker is simple.

In an active loudspeaker the order is:

Source ----- Powered Crossover ----- 2 or more amplifiers ----- Loudspeaker with 2 or more drivers

In a passive loudspeaker the order is:

Source ----- Single Amplifier ----- Passive Crossover ----- Loudspeaker with 2 or more drivers

Reply #27
These are conclusions made from the most reputable scientists in the field such as Dr. Floyd Toole and Sean Olive, just so you know.

This is interesting. Did they publish in JASA or another journal of similar reputation? Do you have references?

Freebies at their employer's web site:

http://www.harman.com/about_harman/technol...leadership.aspx

Search on Toole

Freebies from Olive

http://seanolive.blogspot.com/

Reply #28
I see your point. Nevertheless, I prefer the spatially well defined, transparent, and timbrally very accurate reproduction offered by nearfield monitors, with emphasis on the indirect sound recorded in the recording location (or added in the processing in a controlled fashion) . And I myself perceive it as more natural than sound blown up with poorly controlled reflections of the listening room whose acoustic parameters have nothing to do with those of the recording location, with inevitable coloration from these reflections and possibly with additional coloration due to the design of hi-fi loudpseakers.  I probably do prefer pinpoint sources over those artificially smeared to add "space". Some may have other preferences, up to the point of Bose.

There are some contradictions here, that are easily missed, because of real world vs. ideal circumstances.

Timbre resolution is actually increased, with the aid of reflections, under the right circumstances. Now, the circumstances to make this occur are for the speaker to have very low resonances itself(very rare) and for the off axis response that is reflected to be very close to the on axis/direct sound(also rare). If these two conditions are met, and the direct to reflected path is between 4-10 msec difference, then the effect will be enhanced timbre accuracy and realism, as a result of the enhanced timbre perception. Also, the spatial field would be widened. These are conclusions made from the most reputable scientists in the field such as Dr. Floyd Toole and Sean Olive, just so you know.

Chris,

Always a pleasure to read your posts.

If I read Toole right in his new textbook, your 2-channel conditions get you part of the pie (timbral accuracy and 'apparent source width') ; the other part is 'listener envelopment', and absent a truly concerthall-sized space, this can only come from properly employed surround channels.  I'm guessing you were referring to this in your post mentioning Holman?

Anyway, pawelq and others could do well to pick up Toole's book, there's a wealth of information in there.