Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is the Zoom H1 my best bet? (Read 8409 times) previous topic - next topic

Is the Zoom H1 my best bet?

I'm looking for a good value solution for recording live. It should be mobile and moderately expensive.

I think the Zoom H1 would be my best bet, but I have some nags about it:

As I understand it, I cannot connect external power to it.
As I understand it, I can use it as a USB microphone. This and the fact that it can do high quality recordings, are the factors for me getting it.

Unfortunately, I cannot record in FLAC on the device itself, but that's not really a big issue, I could solve that by using a large SD card, and encode later.

Also: How about durability? It's not like I'm gonna be throwing this thing down a dance hall, but it might get dropped, or occasionally stepped on. I heard the plastics aren't that great.

Could someone (an owner maybe) confirm or refute the statements I heard?

And if possible, what is the characteristic of the device? I don't need a wide i.e. open angle characteristic, like a wide kidney.

Reply #1
As I understand it, I cannot connect external power to it.
As I understand it, I can use it as a USB microphone. This and the fact that it can do high quality recordings, are the factors for me getting it.

Unfortunately, I cannot record in FLAC on the device itself, but that's not really a big issue, I could solve that by using a large SD card, and encode later.

Yes, I got a 16 GB sd card and just record in 24bit wav > process on PC and save to flac or whatever later.

If you mean by "external power", mains power - you can. The H1 should sell for a little more but come with the "H1 Accessory pack", which is really quite necessary, but it doesn't. If you get the H1 get the pack with it. From an Amazon reviewer:

When purchasing the Zoom H1, I would highly recommend getting this accessory pack, only one of the accessories I don't really use, the rest I use very often.

* Adjustable tripod stand:
It's a VERY "cheap" tripod that does the job, it holds the zoom in the position you want it to be in without falling over.

* AC adapter:
I've used this once just to see if it works, which it does. Using this with the USB cable provided, powers up the H1 so you don't have to use batteries.
Though if you're by a computer, you can just use the USB cable alone.

* USB cable:
Powers up the H1 when connected to the computer and can be used for an alternative means of transferring files.

* Microphone clip:
Absolutely brilliant! Love this little clip as it makes the H1 more comfortable to hold.

You may have also heard from other people that the H1 picks up the sound when holding it due to the plastic exterior, well this helps to prevent that unnecessary noise.

* Foam Windscreen:
Much needed indeed, as the zoom is very sensitive, it's very important to have this foam windscreen, it does the job very well!

* Padded-shell case:
A very simple case that protects the H1 well.

Also: How about durability? It's not like I'm gonna be throwing this thing down a dance hall, but it might get dropped, or occasionally stepped on. I heard the plastics aren't that great.

Haven't dropped mine yet. It's probably more durable than it seems - but it's perhaps a minor weakness - though it's not something I've lamented at all.

And if possible, what is the characteristic of the device? I don't need a wide i.e. open angle characteristic, like a wide kidney.

Not sure what this means. It's directional but captures a reasonably wide (but not overly wide) angle. In terms of audio quality I've been very impressed. It's very sensitive: and you really don't want to be squeezing it while recording -- that's one issue. I use a good mini tripod and if I'm hand holding it - I use the same tripod but without the legs extended. If you're in a windy environment you'll need a dead cat windshield.

Hope that helps,

Also look at the Tascam DR-05 (similar price) -- it's more sturdy (and bulky) and has a better interface. Similar in terms of sound quality.

I found this useful (went with Zoom H1 as I wanted something very small and light that could sit on a small camera).
Comparison: Zoom H1 versus Tascam DR-05: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lAMoN17mLk

C.
PC = TAK + LossyWAV  ::  Portable = Opus (130)

Reply #2
I am not 100% sure if the specs of this recorder meet everything you need because I still have to buy it but please, take a look at the Sony PCM-M10, for ~$100 more than the H1 you get what most people say one the best Digital Audio Recorder.

http://kenrockwell.com/audio/sony/pcm-m10.htm (Deep review)

http://transom.org/?p=20377 (Review with samples)

http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/portable-rec...nd-samples.html (Samples)

Reply #3
Most "cheap" handheld recorders only have built-in microphones. There might be situations where you want different or additional microphones or a line input. I have bought a Zoom H6 recently, which has 2 built in mics and 4 separate mic/line inputs. It allows me to use external, high quality microphones. You will be surprised how much difference that can make. I haven't tried dropping or stepping on it, so can't comment on that (yet)
What kind of live recording do you have in mind?

Reply #4
The Zoom H1 has 1 external mic (unbalanced) input.

C.
PC = TAK + LossyWAV  ::  Portable = Opus (130)

Reply #5
The Zoom H1 has 1 external mic (unbalanced) input.
Thanks. It's so small that I didn't even notice
That's probably because for me a serious microphone input is XLR with 48V phantom power, like on the H6.