Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Reason for "washy" artifacts when using MQ setting in SoX? (Read 2796 times) previous topic - next topic

Reason for "washy" artifacts when using MQ setting in SoX?

I was using SoX's mq resample method with Pulseaudio since it is very low on CPU but would not longer stand its "washy" artifacts so I changed to Speex float 10 even though it is very tough on the CPU. Is anyone knowledgable able to explain how this setting can create this artifacts that I usually associate with low bitrate lossy audio? Regards.

Re: Reason for "washy" artifacts when using MQ setting in SoX?

Reply #1
Can you provide a short input audio sample, a sox  command line, and a speex command line that demonstrate the problem?

Reply #2
What are the input and output sample rates when you hear the washy artifact?
Can you reproduce it with command line sox? e.g a sox command line using "medium" quality you can start with is:
  sox in.wav out.wav rate -m 44100
replace 44100 with the desired output rate.

Reply #3
Hi guys. I the output sample rate is 192000 and the settings I use is soxr-mq in Pulseaudio. That is all the information I can give you about the settings, unfortunately. The artifacts are subtle but occur with high frequency sounds like hi-hats and other cymbals.

Reply #4
Hi guys. I the output sample rate is 192000 and the settings I use is soxr-mq in Pulseaudio. That is all the information I can give you about the settings, unfortunately. The artifacts are subtle but occur with high frequency sounds like hi-hats and other cymbals.
Does the output of
Code: [Select]
pulseaudio --dump-resample-methods
include soxr-mq?  If not then PA will ignore the request to use it and use a low-quality default resampler instead.

Are you using ubuntu (or similar)? If so, there is a bug here, requesting that this should be fixed:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libsoxr/+bug/1702558

Reply #5
bandpass: Thank you for your reply. I sometimes use Ubuntu but mostly Void and OpenMandriva when I listen to music and I haven't checked them yet. I didn't know that Ubuntu doesn't include soxr. Strange.

Reply #6
Unfortunately it was reported earlier this year and wasn't fixed in 17.10. Hopefully it will be moved to main or fixed in another way before 18.04 LTS.