Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LG advertise the new V30 as being "perfect for audiophiles" (Read 4341 times) previous topic - next topic

LG advertise the new V30 as being "perfect for audiophiles"

LG issued a press release stating that the announced LG V30 "is the perfect mobile device for audiophiles":

Since I am looking for a new smartphone, I wonder whether the covered technical data do underpin LG's claim, or if it is just the usual marketing blah-blah.

[Hopefully, I started this thread in the correct forum section.]

Re: LG advertise the new V30 as being "perfect for audiophiles"

Reply #1
LG issued a press release stating that the announced LG V30 "is the perfect mobile device for audiophiles":

Since I am looking for a new smartphone, I wonder whether the covered technical data do underpin LG's claim, or if it is just the usual marketing blah-blah.

[Hopefully, I started this thread in the correct forum section.]

Just about everything they hype either lacks audible benefit, or isn't really needed for sonically perfect performance.

The two most audible  things that are audible variables among smart phones are:

(1) Headphone jack source impedance.  Needs to be 1 ohm or less to work well with common headphones and earphones in order to not have audible frequency response dips and peaks due to loading.

(2) Sufficient output voltage into low impedance 'phones - about 1.5 volt is nice, less than 0.5 volts can be a problem.

The following is a rogues gallery of things that are unlikely to produce audible benefits (taken from the LG press release):

"ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS, N.J., Aug. 28, 2017 — The upcoming V-series smartphone from LG will offer next-generation audio functionality for a personalized sound experience that is also easy to use. Developed in conjunction with audio experts, the LG V30 is the perfect mobile device for audiophiles.

The LG V30 takes the Hi-Fi Quad DAC first introduced by its predecessor to a whole new level – it features a 32-bit Advanced Hi-Fi Quad DAC powered by ESS Technology’s SABRE ES9218P. LG’s Hi-Fi Quad DAC presents two new features: digital filters and sound presets. While LG’s original Hi-Fi Quad DAC emphasized delivering Hi-Fi sound as close as possible to the original source by minimizing distortion and white noise, the new Advanced Hi-Fi Quad DAC offers more options to customize the audio experience. 

Customizable digital filters in the V30 Advanced Hi-Fi Quad DAC, typically only available in expensive digital audio players, improve the pre- and post-ringing of the impulse response. In developing sound presets, LG engineers studied the characteristics of popular tones and identified the best combination of sounds to create four optimal pre-programmed settings: enhanced, detailed, live and bass. Even with ordinary headsets, LG V30 users can experience much of the high-quality audio enjoyed by listeners using expensive headsets.

The Hi-Fi Quad DAC controls left and right audio signals separately, adjusting balance in such detail that listeners will feel as if they are standing in the center of a concert hall. The audio paths are wider than ever in the V30 so it can process large, high-quality audio files without lag and with greater accuracy. 

The LG V30 also supports high-resolution audio streaming via MQA technology, the
next big trend in mobile music. MQA is a streaming-focused file format that offers music fans high fidelity sound but in a file size smaller than other formats, reducing the inconvenience of large downloads or the strain on consumers’ mobile data packages.  By combining V30’s stellar Quad DAC with MQA technology, users will enjoy an unrivaled listening experience.
"

Reply #2
Yay, MQA!  Where can I stand in line overnight to get one?

Reply #3
Just marketing. They are focusing in the wrong area to get increased audio quality.
A good 16-bit DAC would of been fine.

Reply #4
Well, damn, what to do with the V20 I've had for less than 2 weeks. It's got the "Quad 32bit" dac, but not the newfangle filters.
Maybe if I used an "audiophile grade" SD card I could narrow the gap?
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #5
Well, damn, what to do with the V20 I've had for less than 2 weeks. It's got the "Quad 32bit" dac, but not the newfangle filters. Maybe if I used an "audiophile grade" SD card I could narrow the gap?
Possibly, but I'd lay the phone down on a Synergistic Research Tranquility Base just to be sure.

Reply #6
Is it even possible to get less-than-transparent audio in a smartphone these days?

Reply #7
Please make sure your mobile also has audiophile battery's and chargers. In addition you have to care about the housing (metal or plastic), rubber bumpers for protection can harm the audiophol audiophile. Etc.pp.

;)

.halverhahn
.halverhahn

Reply #9
Does it deliver MQA decoded digital output? If so, we can eat all the pessimistic words about MQA being DRM?
MQAs superiority as a format is not being data in decoded form as unfold No. 1 does. It only sounds so unsmeared and deblurred at the analogue output of the DAC after further unfolding inside with filters based on recent research in auditory neuroscience!!
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #11
You got me for a full sentence. And then some. :(
I hope when some day a russian hobby coder releases a MQA decoder it is good enough to remove the lower bits without music information so the resulting HiBit file compresses better as the original MQA file. This should open the eyes to the last people not believing in its DRM purpose.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!