Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: why my flac 24bit was i bought really different from my lossy?? (Read 4958 times) previous topic - next topic

why my flac 24bit was i bought really different from my lossy??

hii hydrogenaudio

im new here im also noob about this but im alr do some research about this ( but still didnt understand ) , i have several question about some songs that was i bought before.
i was bought 2 album from mora.jp which present flac 24bit format and aac to buy ( both of 48KHz and 96KHz) mine are flac 24bit 96kHZ. i also have the lossy(mp3 320kbps) with same album ,i have this before i bought my flac , the lossy one was from pirated source and i think it is ripped from cd (because it had some scan of cd in there) , im compare my flac 24/96 with my mp3 320kbps for 1 week with same album and same title , and i conclude the mp3 320kbps is a bit louder rather than flac24/96 especially at the midrange or vocal,the flac one i was felt detained and a bit shy especially at the midrange..( i dont know why , i thought my ears are defect) and i do some research about flac 24bit are exist for application when recording and mixing music ,then why they sell it? i have a conclusion that lossy one alr boosted at midrange ( idk this is true/not or probably same with the flac one ), does my flac is defect? or its normal and should be like this? because this is my first flac
im also check the flac with spectro that frequency cut off is 36,4 KHz and some blue spectro reach 48KHz
here is the screenshot from spectro
http://imgur.com/GIs6F6U
for mp3:
http://imgur.com/AJKddnm
i have 2 question again , its is true if my DAP have frequency response 20Hz-20KHz (± 0.5dB)​ also flac 24bit supported it still cant pull out the full potential for flac 24bit? because of frequency response its only output 20Hz-20KHz and play the 24bit with this DAP is useless?
last question is , i bought another flac from same website after i checked with spectro i think the spectro is a bit strange
the green spectro are form a straight line ( i think around 20KHz or 22KHz) , some blue spectro are reach 48KHz and the frequency cut off is 27,0 KHz
http://imgur.com/elmwGDC
this is normal?? or is this what its called upsampled flac??
i want to ask in this forum before im complain to them
sorry for bad english
if someone want to try the song from im compered , i will upload the song but i know the terms of service isn't allowed any copyrighted marterial also this is my first post ,if possible to share in this post i want to share it
thanks hydrogenaudio

Re: why my flac 24bit was i bought really different from my lossy??

Reply #1
No one here is going to be able to tell you that.

24 bit has nothing to do with frequency.

Reply #2
Some basics:

- As saratoga says, 24 bits has nothing to do with frequency. It is about the maximum difference between "lowest possible positive volume" and "loudest possible volume". 24 bits is more than your ears can handle. 16 bits is enough to cover what anyone needs to listen to in an ordinary room.
- Frequency is directly related to sampling frequency. A 96 kHz file usually includes more inaudible noise. Usually only a waste of space.
- Why they sell 24-bit files even though you can't tell the difference? Because someone is willing to pay for it (and, maybe they save customer support expenses by less people nagging them about it).
- If you get two files from the same place at the same time, they are usually from the same master. If you get two files of the same recording but one was made, say, some years ago, it could be a different mastering. They could sound different because they could be, in reality, different mixes although it just says "remaster". (Mastering is more than just transferring from file to CD.)
- When comparing, you must match volume. Same file at different volumes, sound different.

Reply #3
Although the graph is so tiny, it looks like a 44.1k resampled file. The vertical lines look like clipping introduced by casual upsampling without taking care of intersample peaks.

However it is only based on my opinion. No one can give a 100% accurate answer except the one who processed the file. Also, if I am the one who sell the files I can always play innocent. I can say I am only selling the file from what I received from the artist or studio.

Reply #4
Some basics:

- As saratoga says, 24 bits has nothing to do with frequency. It is about the maximum difference between "lowest possible positive volume" and "loudest possible volume". 24 bits is more than your ears can handle. 16 bits is enough to cover what anyone needs to listen to in an ordinary room.
- Frequency is directly related to sampling frequency. A 96 kHz file usually includes more inaudible noise. Usually only a waste of space.
- Why they sell 24-bit files even though you can't tell the difference? Because someone is willing to pay for it (and, maybe they save customer support expenses by less people nagging them about it).
- If you get two files from the same place at the same time, they are usually from the same master. If you get two files of the same recording but one was made, say, some years ago, it could be a different mastering. They could sound different because they could be, in reality, different mixes although it just says "remaster". (Mastering is more than just transferring from file to CD.)
- When comparing, you must match volume. Same file at different volumes, sound different.
thanks for your reply
i get two files from different source the flac one is from digital website purchased (mora.jp) and the lossy one i got it from pirated source ( that im sure it was ripped from CD) , i think they didnt do a remaster because i see the info/tag its same date release
i comparing with same volume , same dap and same cans but it still sound different

Reply #5
Although the graph is so tiny, it looks like a 44.1k resampled file. The vertical lines look like clipping introduced by casual upsampling without taking care of intersample peaks.

However it is only based on my opinion. No one can give a 100% accurate answer except the one who processed the file. Also, if I am the one who sell the files I can always play innocent. I can say I am only selling the file from what I received from the artist or studio.

thanks for your reply
well its really sad if this is upsampled song, but i see in details properties it have copyright tags , but its still genuine right?

Reply #6
thanks for your reply
well its really sad if this is upsampled song, but i see in details properties it have copyright tags , but its still genuine right?
I think this question cannot be answered in a technical aspect. Since you purchased the file from a Japanese website, if you suspect the file is a bootleg, how about seeking help from the authority, for example JASRAC?

Reply #7

FWIW, I reached the same conclusion before reading your post. The areas where there is spectral contents > 20 KHz seem to have way too much uniformity > 20 KHz to be natural. So not only is it a upsample, it is also an incompetent upsample.

Reply #8

FWIW, I reached the same conclusion before reading your post. The areas where there is spectral contents > 20 KHz seem to have way too much uniformity > 20 KHz to be natural. So not only is it a upsample, it is also an incompetent upsample.

Which one it upsampled?? Both?? Yeah im alr sent a complain to them and has been refund my money back