Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to make a FLAC file with time of 0:00:00, ie, no time. (Read 2805 times) previous topic - next topic

How to make a FLAC file with time of 0:00:00, ie, no time.

Is it possible to create a FLAC file that has exactly 0 seconds duration? If so, how do you do it using the flac command line tools?

That is, the goal is to create a placeholder track for any track that has been removed for whatever reason, but where I want to preserve the total track file counts of the recording. It would have to be a true zero seconds duration, since even the smallest time would result in an audible click in for example a live show set when playing back gapless.

I know this is kind of obscure, but with other file formats, say, .txt, you can do 'touch test.txt' and that creates a zero byte file. Obviously, with FLAC, there is metadata overhead, so the actual resulting file would not be 0 bytes.

I'm looking for a more elegant way to remove banned tracks without actually removing the track number itself from the file list in audience recordings for certain file sharing situations. Any thoughts or how-to do it much appreciated.

Re: How to make a FLAC file with time of 0:00:00, ie, no time.

Reply #1
See attachment.  Audacity > Generate Noise > 00.00.00 > Export as FLAC

Reply #2
Beautiful, thanks. Audacity is good too, not just command line tools, I should have noted that.

While I don't post here much, I really like the high level of competence on hydrogenaudio, it's my go to source for any real audio data format type question.

I can safely say it would never have struck me to use audacity noise generator to create an empty flac file, lol.

Reply #3
Just a quick question though: does the 00:00:00-FLAC contain a single sample, or is there no sample at all?

Reply #4
Like this:
flac --no-padding --force-raw-format --endian=little --sign=signed --channels=2 --bps=16 --sample-rate=44100 -o zero.flac - </dev/null
On Windows, just change /dev/null to NUL.

The resulting file contains only metadata blocks.