Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: why vinyl is better than cds? my new collection are in ? (Read 19964 times) previous topic - next topic

why vinyl is better than cds? my new collection are in ?

Reply #25
Well I hate to quote myself but (I've got a theory):

Your "fantasy audiophiles" are not actually audiophiles at all, that's simply the vehicle for them making purchases that make them feel good (they buy audio gear to feel good [... ] So when you think about "fantasy audiophiles" imagine that instead of hi-fi equipment they're buying roses

et voila:
... so pretty!!!

I want to spend money, it makes me feel good ...
... and well around $1000 - $2000 price is a price that maybe I can pay.

But I'm ...
worried that someone will challenge [my] right to feel good (i.e. "why did you buy that?"). So they require a justification

And people like Analog Scott love to provide them with one ...
The entry level rigs you will find at that link I provided will give you excellent performance but with vinyl one does have to spend some serious money to get state of the art sound.

Because if someone buys his justification (which is what umbilical was really looking for IMO) then it helps reinforce that justification for Analog Scott: "yeah it does make sense to spend lots of money on distorted sound ... because that sensible fellow umbilical agrees with me".
afterall it's easier to defend something you believe is valid

I'm sure he had his mind made up on the matter before starting this thread anyway.

I think so, but before shopping for shiny objects, some people have to shop for a good excuse to go shopping.

----

The reason I point this out is that there have been many threads on HA (of the so called audiophile myth variety, i.e. best playback threads that go vinyl, or best integrated amp threads that go tube) and as far as I can see, although they have the appearance of being about audio, they are really about shopping for a belief that will justify spending money. Whereas in the sensible HA threads (although someone maybe looking to make a purchase) the central theme is actually about audio. I think the only way to spot the difference is that in the former there's always an irrational ideological positioning and a disregard for advice that doesn't serve the OP's real purpose (i.e. you're not giving me my reason to spend loads), and in the latter the thread seems to stay on course (and advice is acknowledged and often heeded). From memory there have been a number of good headphone threads that never went silly.

Just a theory.

C.
PC = TAK + LossyWAV  ::  Portable = Opus (130)

Reply #26
Because if someone buys his justification (which is what umbilical was really looking for IMO) then it helps reinforce that justification for Analog Scott: "yeah it does make sense to spend lots of money on distorted sound ... because that sensible fellow umbilical agrees with me".

Thank goodness I have Carpman to tell me what I really think. Well, no point in hiding it now. The conspiracy has been exposed. I don't know what I would do without "umbilical's moral support. Having spent the money to get the sound I like makes no sense at all without umbilical there to agree with me. Some day I'll have to meet the guy and thank him in person for his validation.

Reply #27
*EDIT: Yikes.  I think I better be more specific and say that vinyl can produce higher frequencies than CD Audio rather than give the possible impression that I was talking about which had a flatter response, for example.

For sure, some sort of signal above 22kHz does come off LPs. But it bears very little relation to the programme material - it's mainly noise and distortion.

Indeed, many (most?) LP cutting lathes deliberately include low pass filtering with a cutoff somewhere around the 18kHz range in order to prevent the RIAA-boosted high frequencies from overdriving the cutting head. So LPs wth genuine musical content above 20kHz are rare as rocking horse droppings.

And finally, please - nobody bring up the example of CD4 quad LPs as a counter-argument. CD4 LPs are an existence proof that it is possible to put meaningful frequencies up in the 30kHz+ range on vinyl, but that doesn't mean all LPs have it. The common process of normal stereo LP production deliberately removes high frequencies (as noted above).

Reply #28
Does anyone know of a before-after measurement of the vinyl pressing/playback chain?

I guess that someone must have a digital hirez master that was sent to the vinyl pressers, so that we can attach numbers to the losses typically introduced.

While we are at it, having numbers on the HF loss as a function of playtime wear for a "high quality, sensible adjusted" system would be interesting.

-k

Reply #29
Indeed, many (most?) LP cutting lathes deliberately include low pass filtering with a cutoff somewhere around the 18kHz range in order to prevent the RIAA-boosted high frequencies from overdriving the cutting head.

...and it's the RIAA curve itself that has me questioning the flatness of the frequency response.

Reply #30
Indeed, many (most?) LP cutting lathes deliberately include low pass filtering with a cutoff somewhere around the 18kHz range in order to prevent the RIAA-boosted high frequencies from overdriving the cutting head. So LPs wth genuine musical content above 20kHz are rare as rocking horse droppings.
Can I get a citation on that from somewhere? I'd love to add that to the Vinyl Myths wiki article.

Reply #31
Stereophile, baby! http://www.stereophile.com/features/cut_an...ion/index2.html

And I'll amend cliveb's counter-counter-argument about CD4 by noting that most of those records were cut at half speed.

BTW, Scott has started a lively pouting session about HA moderator behavior on Vinyl Asylum. I'm actually a little on the fence as to the specific episode he's commenting about, but the whole situation is kind of amusing to me.

Reply #32
Sounds like he's just being a cowardly little attention-whoring princess and should probably run along if he doesn't like this site or the way it's being moderated.

Reply #33
If administrative action is neither performed nor warranted, TOS7 does not apply. And a lot of HA posters are guilty of this sort of stunt.

Reply #34
Ah, but administrative action has been performed, just that you're in no position to know this.  For situations where people think administrative action should be performed, there's the REPORT button.  My feelings about whining over HA outside of HA applies to anyone, BTW.

Reply #35
Fair enough.

Reply #36
BTW, Scott has started a lively pouting session about HA moderator behavior on Vinyl Asylum. I'm actually a little on the fence as to the specific episode he's commenting about, but the whole situation is kind of amusing to me.
LOL I didn't notice your post here until dropping by there while absorbing data about a potential future turntable purchase.

Reply #37
What vinyl potentially has going for it that would audibly matter:

1) 'euphonic' distortions, specifically, those that gives the impression of more 'ambience' and dynamic range.  (That aren't on the master tape.)

2) better-sounding mastering choices

Of course, some might not find (1) euphonic, and vinyl is no *guarantee* of (2). 

To me the least disputable advantage of vinyl today would be what it has always been:

nicer packaging

I think this is the best post in this thread, relating to the OP. People should always keep in mind that the points above aren't necessarily the norm, but the exception (in my experience); other than the packaging part.

BTW this is an indispensable resource & I'm thankful you guys keep it up to date.

Cheers. :]
The same except different.