Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Game Emu Player (foo_gep) by kode54 (Read 273440 times) previous topic - next topic

Game Emu Player (foo_gep) by kode54

Reply #325
Simple auto panning will be used if you enable Effects and set the Echo Depth to something other than 0.

Reply #326
Simple auto panning will be used if you enable Effects and set the Echo Depth to something other than 0.

But will that affect tracks that are already in stereo?
Cyberdyne Systems - Making you a better person through technology.

Reply #327
It may add some echo, but it shouldn't change the panning in a very noticeable way.

Reply #328
It may add some echo, but it shouldn't change the panning in a very noticeable way.

Is there any way to make it so the echo only affects certain systems? I really only want it for NES games.
Cyberdyne Systems - Making you a better person through technology.

Reply #329
What's the quality like on this component? Some video game albums sound quieter than ones I've downloaded. A link to the past sounds naff using GEP. Is that to do with the spc file or GEP? Some albums sound better like ghouls and ghosts and zombies ate my neighbors. Donkey kong country 2 sounds louder with the gamerip i downloaded, the bass has more thump.

Reply #330
Pardon my rather noob comment (I'm new here & I couldn't find if what I'm about to ask has already been previously answered) - Would it be at all possible for SPC files to have an option for the sample rate to be upped from 32k to (at least) 44100 in GEP? (preferably 48k would be ideal) Not having this option is the only thing keeping me from un-installing WinAmp & it's plugin. Your efforts are greatly appreciated Kode. Thank you very much.

Reply #331
What's the quality like on this component? Some video game albums sound quieter than ones I've downloaded. A link to the past sounds naff using GEP. Is that to do with the spc file or GEP? Some albums sound better like ghouls and ghosts and zombies ate my neighbors. Donkey kong country 2 sounds louder with the gamerip i downloaded, the bass has more thump.

The SPC player used by this component is designed to be binary accurate to the DSP synthesizer component in the actual system. If you want equal volume, ReplayGain scan your albums and they will be retagged with volume correction data.

Pardon my rather noob comment (I'm new here & I couldn't find if what I'm about to ask has already been previously answered) - Would it be at all possible for SPC files to have an option for the sample rate to be upped from 32k to (at least) 44100 in GEP? (preferably 48k would be ideal) Not having this option is the only thing keeping me from un-installing WinAmp & it's plugin. Your efforts are greatly appreciated Kode. Thank you very much.

And again, calling to the hardware accuracy, this emulator is only capable of producing a 32KHz signal. I could employ the resampler already integrated into the component to upsample to whatever sample rate you have configured, but that would not add any tonal information to the signal.

I could also go to great lengths to change the emulator to be a high level synthesizer, similar to SNESAPU or ZSNES, interpolating envelope transitions and resampling to a higher output rate, but then it would no longer be an accurate representation of the original hardware.

Besides, why go to that length, when I can merely point you to [a href='index.php?showtopic=82298']this component[/a], which uses SNESAPU in foobar2000, including a DLL copying hack to support multiple instances of the docoder. Then you merely untick the SPC checkbox in foo_gep's preferences.

Or, if tonal content is not your problem, you could simply add a resampler to your DSP chain and set it to 48KHz.

Reply #332
Hi kode!

Thought I'd report on this issue:

GYM files should be played without problems with foo_gep, but for some reason it won't even add them to playlist.

Here's the whole bunch for reference:

ftp://modland.ziphoid.com/pub/modules/Megadrive GYM/

Reply #333
GYM files which contain packed data are currently unsupported. You could try locating VGM versions of those soundtracks on Project 2612 in the mean time. You could also save me some time in implementing that feature by pointing me to some documentation and/or open source software which implements it.

(This is not to be confused with the form of compression which is supported by foo_gep, namely if the entire files are compressed using gzip, but otherwise contain uncompressed data. Also supported are renamed 7-zip archives with a .vgm7z extension.)

Reply #334
GYM files which contain packed data are currently unsupported. You could try locating VGM versions of those soundtracks on Project 2612 in the mean time. You could also save me some time in implementing that feature by pointing me to some documentation and/or open source software which implements it.

Those are Genecyst Sega Genesis audio log files. That emulator is long dead, but there is source code for Winamp in-gym plugin here.

Hope it helps.

Reply #336
Why is that M4A in mono? And what exactly is messed up?

I guess I'll just roll back the last series of changes.

I can probably implement the same functionality into the existing FIR resampler in a much smarter way. Namely, adjusting its sinc pulse generator to use a Lanczos windowing function instead of the Kaiser or whatever it uses now.

Reply #337
Apologies, and I appreciate your effort over the years. The timing was messed up but now it's fixed. I guess with this format we'll never attain perfection.

Reply #338
It's not the format but the player.

Reply #339
kode! thanks for being the reason to stop using winamp.

i'm sure you're gonna say no forever, but can i get an interpolation:none option for spc? i legitimately prefer the lack of interpolation (usually), and i think that the inclusion of other interpolation schemes should justify one that simply has no interpolation.

Reply #340
I'll add it as soon as I get back from my little vacation.

Reply #341
what?! thank you so much! that right there is probably going to keep me away from winamp entirely, other than... chronotron.

oh wait... does foobar support .rar (.rsn) support? i couldn't find it anywhere.

Reply #343
And foo_gep supports RSN and VGM7Z archives independent of any other archive reading components.

Reply #344
yeah i don't know what i was thinking, sorry. i just want to be free of winamp (even though i really like its style) and am rushing through everything for some reason

Reply #345
sorry for the dp, and really dumb, but can you add the "linear" interpolation scheme too, just to complete the set or whatever? i dunno, just one of those "if you're going to do all this..." type things

sorry for bugging the shit out of you guys lol

Reply #346
Done with the linear and nearest interpolation modes, enjoy your pain.

Reply #347

(This is not to be confused with the form of compression which is supported by foo_gep, namely if the entire files are compressed using gzip, but otherwise contain uncompressed data. Also supported are renamed 7-zip archives with a .vgm7z extension.)
Way back when I had written foo_gym (this of course predating foo_gep by several years and before VGM had taken over as the format of-choice for Genesis music rips - otherwise I wouldn't have bothered ), I found an implementation of support for compressed GYM's in kpigym (and its associated tool, gym_ezpk, which as I recall generates them from non-packed GYM files).  I'm not sure what license it's released under and I didn't feel like digging too deeply just now to figure it out but here you go.  IIRC (I didn't bother to browse the source just now), the GYM stream in compressed GYM's is compressed with zlib, and compressed DAC data in GYM's that have that compressed as well is bzlib2 compression.

Reply #348
This has been plaguing me for quite some time, so let me finally overcome procrastination and ask here:

Am I the only one for whom NSF+M3U acts precisely like NSF alone?

GBS, KSS, and all other such formats seem to have no trouble finding their accompanying M3U playlists, and they come up with proper track names and lengths and orders and all that. Any proper NSFe will come up with the correct sequence of tracks and all data intact. It's only NSF that seems to suffer here, doubly frustrating because it's looking like NSF+M3U is becoming the choice for common use despite the existence of NSFe.

Any recommendations? Have I misconfigured something? Have I stumbled into a known issue? Or – best of all, in my humble opinion – would anyone know of an automated method of merging the relevant M3U data into an NSF to make an NSFe? (I'd rather not do it all by hand, certainly....)

Reply #349
Eyy Kode  =D
thx for all the yummy updates yesterday 
I LOVE updates(seeing all the amazing ways programs change and get better =D) it makes my day  ;^_^;

the code you shared with me on my zsnes topic(zsnes forum)..
work  out with the latest MinGW (well the latest update from the other day probably works I haven't tested it yet ) thx =D