Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Dynamic Range plugin (Read 7278 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Dynamic Range plugin

Reply #25
Mr.Fox, have implemented in your Cue Corrector the DR calculator some months ago.

The generated report looks identical to the foobar plugin.

If he rewrote it for his software, we could ask him if he plans to make a new 64bit plugin for foobar.

The best thing would be for Peter to add the ability to calculate it natively in foobar, so as to have by design the DR in LU and in db.

Where is the DR scan function in the menu? I can't find it. TIA

Reply #26

Which version of FB are you running?
Assuming you've installed the plugin without errors, try right-clicking a song or album.

Reply #29
I would welcome an update component, despite all the shortcomings. But unless someone does it from scratch (algorithm implemented here: https://github.com/magicgoose/simple_dr_meter/ ... @magicgoose is that you?) - then you can probably forget about it: The old one is from 2011 (about same time as last time you heard anything from Pleasurize Music I guess?), and had to be retrieved from archive.org after the developer abandoned it.

Yes that's me.
ffmpeg also has an implementation of such an algorithm. I've heard reports that it's sometimes giving wrong results though.
And t.b.h. I don't see much value in it as a plug-in, it would add complexity for little gain. Doesn't sound like it's a task of a music player to do such scans. The results aren't useful for the task of playback, unlike e.g. ReplayGain which is directly useful because it allows you to set the correct loudless.
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #30
Doesn't sound like it's a task of a music player to do such scans. The results aren't useful for the task of playback, unlike e.g. ReplayGain which is directly useful because it allows you to set the correct loudless.
It is a tagging job that needs to listen to music first, and most taggers don't even do the latter.
So it is, I think, a job either for a player that also has sufficiently sophisticated tagging support - that would be e.g. foobar2000 or: a job for a tagger that does indeed scan the audio - that would be Picard then?

Reply #31
Something like Picard seems a reasonable destination for such a job, yes.
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #33
Im also one of those people interested on DR/PLR.

any string with decimals instead of being rounded?

Reply #34
Mr.Fox, have implemented in your Cue Corrector the DR calculator some months ago.

The generated report looks identical to the foobar plugin.

If he rewrote it for his software, we could ask him if he plans to make a new 64bit plugin for foobar.

The best thing would be for Peter to add the ability to calculate it natively in foobar, so as to have by design the DR in LU and in db.

Sorry!! I lose your question.
DR Calculation is added in Cue Corrector v. 10.1.7.
On the directories-tree-viewbox must select audio or cue file than press right mouse button, done selecting "Dynamic range meter" from menu.

Reply #35
Sorry!! I lose your question.
DR Calculation is added in Cue Corrector v. 10.1.7.
On the directories-tree-viewbox must select audio or cue file than press right mouse button, done selecting "Dynamic range meter" from menu.

I was still on the latest .Net 4.5 version, downloaded the newest .Net 5.0 version and indeed the menu entry is there, Thank you!

Reply #36
As a complete outsider on this topic, how is DR info stored in the tags used?
Replaygain I understand and it makes my life easy as I don't have to constantly reach for my amp's volume control. What does DR do?

Reply #37
If you let the component write tags (and not just logs), it will write DYNAMIC RANGE and ALBUM DYNAMIC RANGE tags, bot as integer dB figures.

But what those tags do? Nothing except being visible.

Reply #38
however, once added one can then sort albums and songs according to their 'relative' dynamic range with the goal of playing more 'dynamic' music

just saying :)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #39

Oh alright. I guess they might be helpful information for DJs etc, just like the bpm tag that people often apply. I shall continue being an outsider then :)

Reply #40
however, once added one can then sort albums and songs according to their 'relative' dynamic range with the goal of playing more 'dynamic' music

just saying :)
I've used it to identify which pressing I had of a particular album. (Since I had packed down my CDs after ripping and ...)
Could help me to track down which version not to buy (because, same mix as mine).