Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: lame conversion seems to cut the displayed file ti (Read 3229 times) previous topic - next topic

lame conversion seems to cut the displayed file ti

Hi folks:

I have a wav file that I am converting to mp3 with lame.  I am running lame version 3.93 on redhat linux 7.2 from the command line.  My wav file is of a 2 hour radio broadcast.  When I convert it to mp3 with lame with no parameters like (lame in.wav out.mp3), and play the mp3 in winamp or wmp, it says it is two hours.  However the quality was bad so I tried some of the --presets.  These flags increased the quality, except all the players say the file is half as long as it is.  i.e. (lame --preset fm in.wav out.mp3) makes it sound much better, but playing in winamp or windows media player it says it is an hour long.  Playing in a linux player is fine.

Has anyone come across this before?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Reply #1
WMP doesn't handle LAME tag, so it won't report correct time on VBR/ABR MP3s created by LAME.

Which Winamp version have you tried?
ruxvilti'a

Reply #2
I am using winamp 2.77 on win2k (x86).  Any ideas on how I could use lame to add the correct tag so the time is displayed correctly in winamp?  Thanks a lot.

Reply #3
Sorry, my previous comment is irrevelant.
You weren't encoding with variable bitrate.

I don't know what causes this behaviour...
ruxvilti'a

Reply #4
Maybe the Xing VBR tag is not written into the mp3 file.

You can try vbrfix.

Reply #5
I think lame --preset fm does use VBR.

Reply #6
A snip from 'lame --preset help' v. 3.90.3

basic- presets covering a wide span (fixed rates unless used with -v or VBR):
    phone (16 kbps)    mw-us (40 kbps)    radio (128 kbps)    studio (256 kbps)
    phon+ (24 kbps)    sw    (24 kbps)    tape  (128 kbps)
    lw    (24 kbps)    fm    (112 kbps)    hifi  (160 kbps)
    mw-eu (24 kbps)    voice (56 kbps)    cd    (192 kbps)

He didn't say he's using -v.
ruxvilti'a

Reply #7
Sorry, I was not using the -v option.  I tried it, still no luck.  thanks in advance for any other ideas.