Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tagging dialog Suggestions / Embedded cuesheets (Read 3211 times) previous topic - next topic

Tagging dialog Suggestions / Embedded cuesheets

A few suggestions I have...

- certain tags should be - at will only - displayed in properties dialog, i'd like not to see performer if the tag is non-existant

-why is the CUESHEET tag not visible in metadata section? A complete view on the file tags without any filtering would be nice.

-if we embed a cuesheet by creating a CUESHEET tag and cuesheet data (created by EAC) posesses performer keyword for every track (various artists) this information seems to be lost.

and now ... something more serious

-I have a flac file in which a cuesheet is embedded. My columnsUI configuration requires to be able to use $meta_test(album artist).
Actually, this cannot be used after embedding the cuesheet since foobar silently refuses to update album artist tag to a empty values or remove the tag. The artist/album artist is the permantly the same trough the album (it's no VA).
After taking a breath and going utils->edit cuesheet the cuesheet already differs (to what originally was in CUESHEET tag) by only having one PERFORMER tag instead of having each track the same repeatingly. After clicking on OK album artist tag is emptied corrospondending to the CUESHEET which foobar has had changed. Allright, but why?
There seems to be sort of update issue if CUESHEET TAG is created, cuesheet data is cleaned by parser and new cuesheet data is properly saved but remains 'unused'. Has this occured before?

Reply #1
certain tags should be - at will only - displayed in properties dialog, i'd like not to see performer if the tag is non-existant

Then remove the tag from here:

if we embed a cuesheet by creating a CUESHEET tag and cuesheet data (created by EAC) posesses performer keyword for every track (various artists) this information seems to be lost.

I've never noticed this. Did you embed with foobar2000? In what format is the file which you are tagging?

Reply #2
Thank you, your suggestion worked.

The problem occured with a flac file. Since you have 'never noticed it' I tried to reprocude it just some minutes ago: I couldn't. I wonder what I was doing wrong, then...

Reply #3
Regarding last 'serious' point I had in 1st post

It's about another flac file with similar behaviour

Console says (entry is possibly about one of the previous files):
[17:45:15] Error parsing cuesheet: unknown cuesheet item (line 1)
...while progression bar seems to update a flac file (!fast tagging usually) to infinity.

I used tag.exe with -f CUESHEET=local file.cue to import data. Foobar doesn't verify cuesheet onload, which is not problematic since cuesheet is known to play right regardless of console now says.
Anyway, this is the cuesheet (of the problematic flac file) I imported and which was viewable in foobars cuesheet editor when I loaded the file into foobar.
Code: [Select]
REM GENRE Techno
PERFORMER "Various"
TITLE "A Tribute To Nine Inch Nails - Re-Covered In Nails"
FILE "CDImage.flac" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Terrible Lie"
    PERFORMER "Various"
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "Sin"
    PERFORMER "Various"
    INDEX 01 04:53:13
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Heresy"
    PERFORMER "Various"
    INDEX 01 09:53:05
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "Burn"
    PERFORMER "Various"
    INDEX 01 13:33:57
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    TITLE "Sanctified"
    PERFORMER "Various"
    INDEX 01 18:25:27
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    TITLE "We're In This Together"
    PERFORMER "Various"
    INDEX 01 23:19:55
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    TITLE "Last"
    PERFORMER "Various"
    INDEX 01 28:10:52
  TRACK 08 AUDIO
    TITLE "Hurt"
    PERFORMER "Various"
    INDEX 01 32:38:33
  TRACK 09 AUDIO
    TITLE "Ringfinger"
    PERFORMER "Various"
    INDEX 01 37:15:53
  TRACK 10 AUDIO
    TITLE "Gave Up"
    PERFORMER "Various"
    INDEX 01 42:15:07
  TRACK 11 AUDIO
    TITLE "The Only Time"
    PERFORMER "Various"
    INDEX 01 47:06:14
  TRACK 12 AUDIO
    TITLE "Reptile"
    PERFORMER "Various"
    INDEX 00 51:34:63
    INDEX 01 51:34:69
  TRACK 13 AUDIO
    TITLE "Suck"
    PERFORMER "Various"
    INDEX 01 56:00:07
After submitting cuesheet info in foobars cuesheet editor (I didn't change anything) foobar 'corrects' cuesheet to this:
Code: [Select]
REM GENRE Techno
PERFORMER "Various"
TITLE "A Tribute To Nine Inch Nails - Re-Covered In Nails"
FILE "CDImage.flac" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Terrible Lie"
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "Sin"
    INDEX 01 04:53:13
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Heresy"
    INDEX 01 09:53:05
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "Burn"
    INDEX 01 13:33:57
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    TITLE "Sanctified"
    INDEX 01 18:25:27
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    TITLE "We're In This Together"
    INDEX 01 23:19:55
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    TITLE "Last"
    INDEX 01 28:10:52
  TRACK 08 AUDIO
    TITLE "Hurt"
    INDEX 01 32:38:33
  TRACK 09 AUDIO
    TITLE "Ringfinger"
    INDEX 01 37:15:53
  TRACK 10 AUDIO
    TITLE "Gave Up"
    INDEX 01 42:15:07
  TRACK 11 AUDIO
    TITLE "The Only Time"
    INDEX 01 47:06:14
  TRACK 12 AUDIO
    TITLE "Reptile"
    INDEX 00 51:34:63
    INDEX 01 51:34:69
  TRACK 13 AUDIO
    TITLE "Suck"
    INDEX 01 56:00:07
Now even foobars tagger works fluently. Thats is what I meant, foobar doesn't use cuesheet info properly when cuesheet tag wasn't written by foobar. Nevertheless, while the beahvour could be argueable it's clear that rewrite all tags-option shouldn't fail on that and even if it should procede in update queue skipping file automaticly. Another thing which then annoys is that abort button does not abort, foobar update-dialog isn't responding...

Reply #4
Is that a blank line at the beginning of the cuesheet? If so, it may be the "unknown item".

As far as I know, common usage has cuesheets with the ALBUM ARTIST "Various" having their individual tracks tagged with their specific artists. foobar2000 seems to remove the redundant (and "technically" incorrect) multiple "Various" values, as it does with the per-track artist fields on non-VA cuesheets. I don't know why it does this (perhaps it is as simple as removing redundancy), but I don't think it is a fault.

Reply #5
To clarify what i'm on:

The problem is not that foobar changes cuesheets (which is quite ok since no information seems to be lost) but the problem I encountered with specific flac files; the only details I can give are that I used tag.exe to import cuesheet, foobar console loglines saying invalid itemfiles and that foobar updating dialog does not respond.

Whatever it is doing, maybing rewriting entire flac file?, 'abort' does not work.
This problem only occurs on files modified by tag.exe, nevertheless, it's still foobar's issue if it does play them properly but tag updates fail or seem to take an unknown long amount of time.

I used foobar's cuesheet editor on the files I knew foobar (not the main window) wouldn't respond on update, and foobar removed redundancy automaticlly after appling the cuesheet modified by foobar. After I updated said flac files with help of foobar'S cuesheet editor I could edit tags in no seconds. My problem only exists the first time I try to update some! of the flacs I used tag.exe on, only a tiny amount of these files are  problematic.
Often, the second time I update these files it works as intended the fast way...
There likely is a bug. Must. be.

@dv1989: Thanks for replying, yet, there is no space. You are right, the file is not properly tagged (information's been from freedb), yet, I certainly could post more cuesheets of flacs which couldn't be updated but I've come to the conclusion that those cue files have nothing to do with, to be more specific, I guess it's the referenced *.flac

Reply #6
Okay, I don't know if there has ever been a bug/any bugs, but instead, as I assumed, foobar rewrites flac file ocassionally. Hence I haven't been patient enought. Oh, well.

Nevertheless, here are two suggestions to be more-user-friendly
  • Is there a reason why there is no information about what foobar actually does in the file update window? Something like 'just updating tags' or 'rewriting whole file' would be nice. Also, if the latter is true, why does the progressbar not reflect the file status, if 50% have been rewritten, progressbar should be 50% (in case of one flac file e.g.)
  • Also, as  said previously, if foobar rewrites whole file, the progress-window does not react on close. If there is button which is not greyed out/inactive, it should work, don't you think? (foobar may not touch original flac file then, but rather create a copy to work on, I guess)
Thanks 

BTW, I want those thing to be implemented in one of the next betas 

EDIT:
Ahh, another one: Has there ever been the proposol for a resizeable preferences window? (when editing columns UI code, often window is too small to edit code)

Reply #7
I agree tags should be visible unfiltered. Also I think mp4 chapters should be editable the same like embedded cuesheets in wavpack files. And I already asked for not dropping all the information on cue import... http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....c=48688&hl= And somewhere I asked if it would be possible to embed cuesheets into any file format (which can hold tags). Most of the time no answer on cuesheet questions.