Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar 0.9 manual, comments appreciated (Read 46632 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar 0.9 manual, comments appreciated

Reply #50
@unart I noted that script, I will implement it somewhere soon

I would like to know something about the navigation:

Do you prefer a rather complete navigation menu or a short one

for a complete navigation menu: (I prefer this solution personally)
pros: Easy to find a page in few clicks
cons: New users will be lost and won't know where to click first (and it could discourage new users)

I clearly prefer complete navigation menues, since it makes navigating very easy. The problem "New users will be lost" can be reduced by using different formats for different levels of your navigation (type sizes, indentations, colors etc.).

Alternatively, pull down menues may be useful.

Reply #51
for pull down menus, I can't do that in HTML.. I know only HTML (I know nothing about Javascript, php, XML, SHTML, DHTML, and Cie and I want to avoid compatibility problems).

Reply #52
for pull down menus, I can't do that in HTML.. I know only HTML (I know nothing about Javascript, php, XML, SHTML, DHTML, and Cie and I want to avoid compatibility problems).

In my opinion you can realise pull down menus with plain HTML, e.g. your root page contains a navigation

nav1
nav2
nav3

and if "nav2" is clicked your page "nav2" contains a navigation

nav1
nav2
_nav2a
_nav2b
nav3

i.e. just individual navigation menus for each page. Ok, maybe maintaining your pages is not very convenient in this case.
What's about something like

nav1
_ nav1a
_nav1b

nav2
_ nav2a

?

Reply #53
frames are evil and if I don't use frames, it means something like thousands of HTML files (literally)

Reply #54
I didn't mean frames, just use type sizes, colors, and indentations to structure your nav.

Reply #56
Nice new "customize your foobar" page. You implemeted my suggestion and a part of my logo   

Typo found: "generally" instead of "genrally" in the first sentence of section "Get a special character".

Suggestion: Insert a short explanation regarding speed test (what it is, where to find, link). Maybe there exist novice foobar users 

Reply #57
The converter-option "keep lossless sources at orginal bit depth" is not explained... BTW: Would be interesting for myself which exact meaning this checkbox has.....

Thanks for your manual!

Reply #58
what would you want as explanation?
"if checked, lossless fomats will use the original bit depth.." It's quite the same..

and in the converter page, I point to bit depth and dithering:
#    Output bit depth  : See here about Bit Depth  and Dithering 
http://eolindel.free.fr/foobar0.9/output.shtml#BitDepth
http://eolindel.free.fr/foobar0.9/output.shtml#Dithering

Reply #59
under tags, on the table, i think you should only leave the check marks, and remove the Xs.

Reply #61
Regarding Foobar2000 Manual - DSP: There is quite a bit of misinformation on this page. I will just address the following points for now.

foobar2000 0.9 uses a 32 bit floating point pipeline.

Crashes with output modes: Any poorly implemented audio driver could crash foobar2000 or the system. I have the impression that the situation is worst with Kernel Streaming, although there don't have been a lot of output related crash reports for any output with 0.9 at all.

Differences between output modes: DirectSound is the default output mode on Windows 2000 and XP for multimedia applications. All Windows compatible consumer soundcards support it. Some of them additionally support ASIO, even though that primarly is the domain of studio soundcards which in return often have no support for DirectSound.

DirectSound is usually the best choice on consumer soundcards. Other output modes should only be used when you have a specific reason to do so. For example, ASIO might have some benefits, if you need to map logical audio channels to specific physical channels on your soundcard(s) and your driver does not offer a way to do this. Also see this excellent post by TrNSZ about the quality differences that do or do not exist between ASIO and DirectSound. Kernel Streaming is not addressed in this post, but is not the Holy Grail it is sometimes (especially outside these forums) made up to be either.

You should link to the optional components page instead of directly to the ZIP files since foobar2000.org has anti-hotlinking measures enabled.

Reply #63
what would you want as explanation?
"if checked, lossless fomats will use the original bit depth.." It's quite the same..

and in the converter page, I point to bit depth and dithering:
#    Output bit depth  : See here about Bit Depth  and Dithering 
http://eolindel.free.fr/foobar0.9/output.shtml#BitDepth
http://eolindel.free.fr/foobar0.9/output.shtml#Dithering

Yes, of course, these pointer are good... but IMHO the "keep lossless..." is not self-explanating, because i really not see if there are some correlations to the output-bit-depth-option direct above: If the "keep.."-checkbox is checked, does this mean, the setting in the bit-depth-field is irrelevant and does this also mean, that foobar2000 does also internaly only use 16 bits for its converting-task from flac to wav (for example if i convert a 16-bit flac file) or what else?

Is this question really so dump and have i overseen something?

Thanks a lot!

Reply #64
First of all let me thank you for all of your hard work, IMO a comprehensive user manual such as this something foobar is long overdue for.

In another thread I was trying to help a new user with basic file tagging and this guide immediately came to mind. I could not, however, find basic instructions for editing a tag. Y'know.. right click on the song and pick properties.  The other user appeared clueless about ID3 tags and how to use them. I dont know how comprehensive you intend this manual to be and to what extent you wish to cater to new users but you may want to expand upon basic operations to include this.

On another note I was messing around with my media keys and was able to get them to work well with fubar. I searched the forums about the topic and found some references to their use but no instructions on how to configure media keys with foobar. So I thought I'd share the process you may want to consider adding this, I'm sure atleast someone out there would find this helpful.

1. Access the Keyboard Shortcut configuration from Foobar> File> Preferences> General> Keyboard Shortcuts
2. Doublecheck the list to make sure your key is not already added, multimedia keys usually end in "(MM)"
3. Click the [Add New] Button, this will add an empty entry into the list
4. Click on the "Key" field at the bottom of the window, and press the key you wish to configure, such as >>.
    - This should change "<unknown>" to "Next (MM)"
5. If you would like the key to control foobar even when foobar is minimized or your are in another program, check the box labeled "Global Hotkey"
6. Repeat the steps for any additional keys and click [Save All] at the bottom

I realize all multimedia keys are not made the same and some keybaords require special drivers for them to function, but this process has worked for me using several different keyboard on multiple computers without installing any drivers whatsoever.

Reply #65
Hello BB it's mite from hardware forum, your manual seems really useful and eye-convenient,

I would suggest, 2 adds in Album Art secton, among a lot of any others I would find really useful in such a manual, as a beginner :

- about downloading albumart DIRECTLY from inside Foobar : more details or at least good links (for example, what seems convenient but not clear  to me, with foo_run and dedicated scripts ... )

- more advices for DYNAMIC picture-viewing or even video-viewing (both possible I imagine but I lack, as a beginner, synthetic (?) and put-together info) : easy link, or even a script that allows viewing random pics from external folder like 'myteddy(fou)bearpreferedphotos'  or my last holiday personnal movie in the top of mont-blanc, or the birds flying in la combe lavaux, not far from your home I guess ...

Thank you and hope to read you soon
les conquérants de l'inutile

Reply #66
Thanks for your replies

I didn't have time to update concerned pages today ("false" oral exam (to be prepared for real oral exams), dinner with my professors and then I got some results of very important exams)

@yotsuya I already made a page about shortcuts:
http://eolindel.free.fr/foobar0.9/shortcuts.shtml But I will add something about multimedia keyboards

@mastermite well, I prefer the album art aggregator solution  I have not yet tested foo_run and coverdownloader, but I plan to do it

for random pictures, if you mean a random picture at each album without cover, I already gave a trick to do that, but you will have to rename your files like pic1, pic2, pic3, etc..

If you want something which cycles between covers during the song, I have seen that the latest Albumart plugins are dealing with it, but as it wasn't properly implemented the last time I read it, i'm waiting for a relatively "stable" component (I.e currently it's like one version per week and from different developers  )

for other remarks, I will correct, update, change

Reply #68
I was wondering about making a little video to show how to use the masstagger and freedb to masstag and rename a lot of files.

Do you thing it is interesting? Would you like to see a video like this?

Reply #69
Nothing really special, but my website is now fully W3C compliant.

I have created a masstagger tutorial, but it has to be redone, the sound is too ugly:
http://eolindel.free.fr/foobar0.9/masstut.shtml

edit I had forgotten some pages. (Including one with 240 errors ..)

Some advice about the design and navigation of my website would be nice. I won't change it much, but if someone sees something that could make them even nicer..

Reply #71
I really need feedback about the dynamic menu on this page:
http://eolindel.free.fr/foobar0.9/accueil2.shtml

(on the left)

It uses Javascript and is likely to be ugly if javascript is desactivated.

With this menu, my menu is smaller and I can point to more pages.

Do you like it or should it remain as it was before?

edit: I have added foo uie tabs in the panels page. And as I have finished my exams, I'm likely to improve my website in the coming weeks.

Reply #72
I think you should at least have a non-Javascript fallback for those of us who browse with JS off.

Reply #73
I really need feedback about the dynamic menu on this page:
http://eolindel.free.fr/foobar0.9/accueil.shtml

(on the left)

It uses Javascript and is likely to be ugly if javascript is desactivated.

With this menu, my menu is smaller and I can point to more pages.

Do you like it or should it remain as it was before?

edit: I have added foo uie tabs in the panels page. And as I have finished my exams, I'm likely to improve my website in the coming weeks.

I don't use JAVA either (Using PortableFirefox most of the time).
Please consider a way to have a non java version as well (at least in your offline version of the manual). Thanks.

Reply #74
I'm trying several options but for the moment it's not very nice :/ as it uses both .css and javascript, I don't know how to hide the css part when JS doesn't work and show the old menu instead.. But I'm searching