Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ID3 v2: multiple artists (Read 19048 times) previous topic - next topic

ID3 v2: multiple artists

I've found different tag editors use different separator.

The ID3v2 2.3 standard uses / as separator.  However, if I type that into foobar2000 ColumnUI, it turns into _

If I uses properties dialog, it works fine.

1. How can I get it to work in ColumnUI?

2. When I use properties for multiple files and change one field, the rewrite process will convert all / to _.  How can I stop this conversion?

Thanks!

Reply #1
Isn't this question related to foobar? So why put it in MP3 - General forum?

Anyway, the message in Edit or Add value dialog of foobar says „Use ; character to separate multiple values.” Have you tried that?
If age or weaknes doe prohibyte bloudletting you must use boxing

Reply #2
> The ID3v2 2.3 standard uses / as separator.

2.4 does not, note.

Reply #3
Mp3tag shows the fb2k separator ";" as "\\" in my id3v2.3 tags. Is the double backslash the new 2.4 separator? Does fb2k use the v2.4 separator on all id3 tags?

Edit:  Here is what Florian at Mp3tag had to say:

\\ is used as the separator character sequence for multiple tag fields in Mp3tag.
Surf's Up!
"Columnated Ruins Domino"

Reply #4
Could this be moved to foobar2000 forum?  Or shall I post it again there?

Reply #5
It's really a good question for MP3 General as well as Foobar2000.

ID3v2 2.3 uses \ as a separator for multiple artists. That's correct.

I wonder what ID3v2 2.4 uses?

Reply #6
Don't turn the slash into a backslash 

v2.4 uses null bytes

"\\" in Mp3tag is only the visual seperator in the GUI it's not what's written in the actual tag. Each program might have a different way to display multiple tags

@cheerful:
The / char is used internally in the file as seperator but it is not shown on the foobar gui, you see Artist1, Artist2 or Artist1; Artist2
Also entering a / is not the way to create multiple artists, it's ;
So / is changed to _ because it is not available as normal character in the artist tag in v2.3
And AFAIK the columns ui interface does not support creating multiple artists, it can only display it.

Reply #8
That's right dano sorry, typed the wrong slash. It is /.

Anyways, / is problematic because when you have the artist as "AC/DC" I have seen in WMP, or in TagLib# it is shown as multiple artists: AC and DC.
True.  If I remember correctly, WMP 11 has an implicit workaround for AC/DC as an Artist (Contributing) and doesn't split them when reading/storing it in MP3 ID3v2.3.  Album Artist doesn't support split multiple names, so it's OK there, too.

It's a shame that most media libraries were never designed for multiple names in metadata fields...