Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Headphone listening (Read 3078 times) previous topic - next topic

Headphone listening

The other day i thought that headphons listening on stereo music is shit and if i ever came across some kind of stereo->surround thing or DSPs for foobar it always sounded like crap.

So i just made a simple DSP combination on foobar, the goal was to emulate some kind of surround shit but without losing the stereo details of the music, like other people always do.

So here it goes the samples, maybe there is still something to work around so i mostly want feedback.

Normal version: http://www.goear.com/listen/8c5ed43/chasing-hearts-miwa

Edited: http://soundcloud.com/impregnation-hand-holding/track-79

Normal version: http://www.goear.com/listen/850a81b/colors...heart-uverworld

Edited: http://soundcloud.com/impregnation-hand-ho...rs-of-the-heart

I used soundcloud because the audio is on a multichannel configuration and i think it is the only site that works for this.

This is extrictily for stereo headphones, it's better to avoid headsets but if you have a good stereo one then try it.

Headphone listening

Reply #1
The normal versions sound much better to me. Your edited versions just have a extra wide stereo separation and sound very hollow and harsh.
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Headphone listening

Reply #2
The normal versions sound much better to me. Your edited versions just have a extra wide stereo separation and sound very hollow and harsh.

Yeah, it sounds harsh, maybe its because i used too much noise sharpen, my amplifier is not very good on that aspect, maybe i nthe future i will release the combination of DSPs used so you guys can adjust the sharpen, so it stops sounding harsh to some.

Headphone listening

Reply #3
Personally I have no issues with listening through headphones in the first place. I seem to remember HeadRoom did amps with a crossfeed on it which was apparently meant to make the sound better for those who didn't like headphone listening?

Headphone listening

Reply #4
I would agree that a simple crossfeed filter is exactly what's needed for tracks with a lot of stereo separation, especially older recordings. The effect is subtle, but that's exactly why it works so well, it just brings everything 'together' and evens out of the sound so you don't have eg. all of the guitar in one ear only.

Headphone listening

Reply #5
I'm not sure what this is meant to address.. To me nothing sounds as good as a good headphone set. I've never come across an open air sound system, no matter how many whiz bang channels it sports, which gets inside my head and makes the music as crisp, detailed, and natural as a good pair of headphones.

Maybe I'm just not your target audience 

Headphone listening

Reply #6
I like Dolby Headphone. It can emulate 2 speakers in front of you, or 5 around you depending on your source. You can get it on foobar2000 with a dll from PowerDVD and the DH wrapper plugin.

Headphone listening

Reply #7
I've been using RPGWiZaRD's Foobar Dolby Headphone config (the laidback version) for at least a year now, and I can't imagine going back to a simple crossfeed filter or no dsp at all. I even use that dsp chain when encoding music to my portable player. Check it out, it's good. Perhaps it takes some getting used to, but it works great - for classical music at least (I don't really listen to anything else).

Headphone listening

Reply #8
I'm not sure what this is meant to address.. To me nothing sounds as good as a good headphone set. I've never come across an open air sound system, no matter how many whiz bang channels it sports, which gets inside my head and makes the music as crisp, detailed, and natural as a good pair of headphones.

Maybe I'm just not your target audience 

The only remotely similar experience I've found is with a good set of studio monitors, which is exactly why I have a set of seriously good active monitors in my main system. In the studio, you want to hear every little detail in the music and the mix, which is what I love about good headphones. Of course, the sound doesn't get inside your head, but on the other hand, you get room-filling sound and bass that you feel in your whole body.

The drawback is that good studio monitors aren't cheap ;-)