Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: About the new resampling policy. (Read 884 times) previous topic - next topic

About the new resampling policy.

"Decoders are now made aware of output sample rate (from Windows Mixer settings) and can decode certain formats directly to the intended sample rate, skipping potential resampling steps."

This sounds like a generally good idea, but ¿is there any way to optionally disabling this? and ¿does it also affect the converter? (I guess it won't since there's no windows mixer in the context of the converter)

One little problem I can think of off the top of my head is that some decoders sometimes seem to have a quite wide transition bands, so even my poor sub-15kHz hearing can detect some dullness in the higher freqs due to the frequency response curve. To compensate for this, I set the decoding much higher (96 or higher) and then resample to 44 or 48, assuming the resampler has a much smaller transition band. Doing this I do get to hear a difference in my "high-end" (10-15kHz), with sharper drums and hi-hats and all that stuff.
If these decoders start being so smart, I'm afraid of losing that.

Admittedly I haven't touched this in a long time and I don't know whether newer versions of these decoders have better sampling methods now. I've just been doing this ever since without a second thought and I'm speaking from memory.

Re: About the new resampling policy.

Reply #1
It strictly affects playback only. Decoder is told what the intended output rate is. It is up to the decoder what it does with this piece of information.
It's entirely irrelevant to Converter and such.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #2
So this feature is designed so that it's up to the component to let the user decide whether the output samplerate cue will be honored or ignored during playback.

Hopefuly most devs will include an option for this.

Reply #3
Don't forget that if the component ignores this, the output will still resample to the specific rate.

Reply #4
So this feature is designed so that it's up to the component to let the user decide whether the output samplerate cue will be honored or ignored during playback.
I think what is meant, foobar2000 will do the resampling, if necessary, so Windows will never have to do it. The "user" decides the (Windows) configuration of the output device, you will always get what you want.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.