Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Plugin for Dynamic Amplification? (Read 1617 times) previous topic - next topic

Plugin for Dynamic Amplification?

Is there some plugin for foobar that amplifies a song so that its peak is exactly 0.0db (no clipping)? Note that I'm just looking for amplification, not normalization. It's easy to do this to an already-converted file in Audacity, but it would be nice if a plugin could do it as well.

Re: Plugin for Dynamic Amplification?

Reply #1
Impossible in real time as it would need to scan the whole file first, to know how much to boost it to get the top peak at exactly 0.0dB. TBH most tracks these days are already peaking at just under 0.0dBFS, if not outright clipping, so even if it could be implemented, you wouldn't find it affecting many tracks. Can I ask why you are looking for something to do this?

Reply #2
Plenty of songs from video games, for various reasons, are not amplified to 0.0db (whether they be sequences or streams). But I understand your point that it would be impossible without scanning the whole song first.

Reply #3
TBH most tracks these days are already peaking at just under 0.0dBFS, if not outright clipping, so even if it could be implemented, you wouldn't find it affecting many tracks.
"These days" being the operative phrase. I've been buying CDs for over three decades, and many tracks from the early examples don't get close to 0.0dB. Dynamic amplification as posited by the OP would be very useful for listening to such tracks, especially when mixed with later releases. At least we have Replay Gain, which I have found is a must when ripping my CDs to FLAC.

Reply #5
I sometimes thought about being able to tag audio files such that the system volume could be adjusted for certain tracks, rather like automatically fiddling with an amplifier's dial. I finally concluded there are several reasons why it isn't a good idea to arbitrarily change the system volume. Once I became aware of ReplayGain, the idea became moot, although even with RG there is the occasional track I for which I would like to tweak the volume just a little....  ;D