Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadata support for WMP (Read 522124 times) previous topic - next topic

WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadata support for WMP

Reply #225
WMP Tag Plus definitely won't work in the x64 version of WMP, so it's recommended that you only use the x86 version.

Do you have the latest version of WMP Tag Plus, 1.2?

Are you sure that WMP Tag Plus is loaded in WMP? The plug-in should be listed in the Tools - Plug-ins menu, and should have a checkmark next to it (press Ctrl+M if you don't see the Tools menu). If you have any other tag support plug-ins for WMP installed, remove these to prevent conflicts. After that, please try re-adding the files to the library once again.

Yes, I am running Tag Plus 1.2.

Tag Plus is listed under Plugins and has a check.

I can confirm that I do not have any other tag plugins installed.

I took one of the files that is not working, Love Me Do, and did the following:
  • Removed the song from the library (Delete -> Remove from library only)
  • Tried to re-add the song by playing it from Windows Explorer
  • When it played I could see that it was able to read the tags because it was cycling through Album, Artist, Title in the bottom left corner of WMP
  • The strange thing was that it would add it back into the library after that

I am not sure what is happening. I need to do some more testing and get back to you. I don't have much more time tonight though, so I will have to get back into it tomorrow.

Thanks.

Reply #226
OK. I added Love Me Do back into the library by drag-and-dropping it from Windows Explorer into WMP and it read the tags properly and filed it under Please Please Me. That's good news. So, I guess I could do something similar for the rest of the 'unknown' songs.

This leads me to an idea about what is causing this. Have you ever seen a limitation around the number of flac files that can be successfully added into the library at once? I think something like this happened because the songs that didn't get added to the library are all part of albums that are at the bottom half of the album list alphabetically.

Anyway, I think my issue is probably resolved.

Reply #227
I think something like this happened because the songs that didn't get added to the library are all part of albums that are at the bottom half of the album list alphabetically.

Correction:

I think something like this happened because the songs that didn't get tagged properly are all part of albums that are at the bottom half of the album list alphabetically.

Reply #228
This leads me to an idea about what is causing this. Have you ever seen a limitation around the number of flac files that can be successfully added into the library at once? I think something like this happened because the songs that didn't get added to the library are all part of albums that are at the bottom half of the album list alphabetically.

No, I'm not aware of any library limitation specific to FLAC files. As far as I know, there's just one limitation for the total number of files in the library, and that seems to be around 250 000.

The only thing I can think of, is that the FLAC files were added to the library while WMP Tag Plus was not loaded (either because it was not enabled, or because you were running the x64 version of WMP).

Reply #229
Thanks for your time, Tim. And, thanks again for the plugin.

Reply #230
Might I suggest that an x64 version of WMP Tag Plus would be very welcome?  Many of us switched some time ago, and that will only be more true as time goes on.  I'm afraid I don't know how big of an effort that would be.

Reply #231
Do you mean "switched to Windows x64" or "switched to the x64 version of WMP"? (there's an important difference)

As I said earlier in this thread:

It would require quite a lot of work to make an x64 version of WMP Tag Plus. Besides that, it would add two more test cases, on top of Windows XP and the 32-bit versions of Windows Vista and 7. In my opinion, it really isn't worth all the trouble: the 32-bit version of WMP works just as good and just as fast as the 64-bit version.

Also, the 32-bit version of WMP is still the default version on Windows x64.

Reply #232
Do you mean "switched to Windows x64" or "switched to the x64 version of WMP"? (there's an important difference)

As I said earlier in this thread:

It would require quite a lot of work to make an x64 version of WMP Tag Plus. Besides that, it would add two more test cases, on top of Windows XP and the 32-bit versions of Windows Vista and 7. In my opinion, it really isn't worth all the trouble: the 32-bit version of WMP works just as good and just as fast as the 64-bit version.

Also, the 32-bit version of WMP is still the default version on Windows x64.

Both, I use x64 windows and x64 WMP.

I understand the effort required.  Unfortunately, this issue is not going away.  I have all the codecs setup and working for x64 WMP because Media Center is x64 only.  In order to use Media Center, I have to use x64 codecs.  Makes no sense to try and support both x86 and x64 codecs, it is enough trouble to get one set working.

So I think we have valid reason for going the x64 path.

Reply #233
It shouldn't be *that* hard to get the x86 codecs working as well. Many codecs only come in an x86 version, and those with an x64 version should definitely offer an x86 version too.

Besides, I need to make a trade-off between the possible new features in WMP Tag Plus. Should I work on cool features (like album art support), or on features that will get noticed by only a small percentage of users (such as an x64 version)? Obviously, I prefer investing my valuable time in the first option.

Reply #234
Is there a way learning wmp12 flac playback from a media server (dlna) source? flac playback&seek is fine with xiph opencodecs and wmp tag plus 1.2, but only with files in the local library. Is it possible to extend the flac playback support for dlna/upnp sources (e.g. a twonky mediaserver)?

Reply #235
To be honest, I have no idea, but I don't think that this should be handled by WMP Tag Plus anyway, as it's more a playback than a tagging issue.

However, if there are enough user requests for it, then I might look into this in the future. That means that I'll somehow have to set up my own UPNP media server for testing, so some help would be welcome in that case.

Reply #236
Hi guys!

I installed WMP Tag Plus and it just doesn't work. I add folders with .flac files to library and nothing happens.
.flac files generaly do work perfectly(i see the length of track etc.), but I just can't add them to my WMP12 library.
I DO have this plugin turned on and i DON'T have any other plugin of this kind installed.
I tried also installing the WMPTagSupportExtender.1.4, but it also doesn't work(maybe it'll bring you the solution).
It's really weird because before formating my HDD (abount 1 week ago) everything worked fine and i didn't have any problems with .flac tag support in WMP12 (was using WMP tag support extander).

I'm using suggested codecs from xiph (opencodecs_0.85.17777) and default version of WMP12

Hope you know the solution and you'll help me ^^
/Thanks
zbiGniew1ty

Reply #237
Are you sure that WMP Tag Plus is loaded in WMP? The plug-in should be listed in the Tools - Plug-ins menu, and should have a checkmark next to it.

Please check if the FLAC files aren't already in the library, possibly under Unknown, or in the Other media section. If that's the case, then the FLAC files need to be re-added. Make sure that WMP Tag Plus is checked in Tools - Plug-ins, select the FLAC files, right-click, Delete - Delete from library only - OK. Then go to Tools - Advanced and select Restore deleted library items.

Reply #238
Restoring library in tools helped me(not restoring deleted files ;p).
Everything works fine now:)
Thank a lot for help!

Reply #239
This plugin is awesome!!!

I've struggled for years with WMPTagSupportExtender and WMPTagSupport11. No seeking, no duration, lack of unicode character support, memory leaks and poor performance.

I don't know how you figured out how to get around the duration issue in the WMP library, but whatever you did is freaking genius! And your plugin is FAST. I have a huge library, and the other plugins would slow to a crawl and often times hang/crash WMP, or crash if they encountered a file type that didn't have a DirectShow filter or that they didn't understand. I had some MonkeysAudio files in my collection (.ape) and your plugin just left them alone and screamed through my collection the first time.

Nice work!!! Thanks so much!

Reply #240
Hello

I installed WMP Tag Plus on Windows 7 64-bit machine. It is checked in the Plug-ins menu but i dont see anywhere the advanced tag editor and i cant play flac files. I dont know if I'm using 32-bit or 64-bit version of WMP 12 but I also tried to open WMP from the x86 folder and the plug-in still doesnt work (while checked in the plug-in menu)...

any ideas?

Reply #241
OK sorry about that, i can play flac files.
But am i supposed to be able to use advanced tag editor with this plug-in or not? because I can't.

Reply #242
WMP Tag Plus only adds library and tagging support to WMP for additional formats, like FLAC. To get a new tag editor in WMP 12, you need to install a different plug-in: Windows Media Player Plus!. See the BM-productions website for the descriptions of both plug-ins, which should make the difference clear.

Reply #243
Hi,
I installed Windows Media Player Plus! and now I can see the tag editor, thanks.
But I still have a problem:
with mp3 tracks in the library I can right-click on them and choose either "Tag Editor Plus" to edit the tags or just "Edit" to edit one specific tag in the library... But when i right-click on FLAC tracks the "Tag Editor Plus" item is missing while the "Edit" item is visible but not active...
By the way i created a playlist of FLAC files after the installation of both Windows Media Player Plus! and WMP Tag Plus.

-WMP Tag Plus is checked in the plug-in menu and
-in the "Formats" tab in Properties of the plug-in the "FLAC" item has Read/Write: Yes.

WMP Tag Plus actually works because I can read now the FLAC tags in the Library that I couldn't read before... but the problem is that i can't edit them.

thanks in advance

Reply #244
Please post any further questions about Windows Media Player Plus! in the correct thread - this thread is for WMP Tag Plus only.

The Tag Editor Plus item currently only shows up for tracks that are in the library, so if the FLAC tracks aren't in the library yet, you should add them, and the item will show up for those tracks too.

Reply #245
Hi Tim!

Any news on FLAC cover support?

Reply #246
Support for embedded FLAC pictures has recently been added to TagLib, the tagging library used by WMP Tag Plus. Unfortunately, I haven't had the time yet to add album art support to WMP Tag Plus itself. I've been too busy with Windows Media Player Plus! 2.0, and I'm currently still busy with my master's thesis for school. I hope to get some work done on album art support during the summer.

Reply #247
Summer looks very very far.  Good luck to your master's thesis!

Reply #249
I know embedded Cover support is what you want, but what about a Folder.jpg picture in each album folder ?

Thanks for the tip! I'm aware of this, and already considered, but found it too complicated for me cause of many reasons.
Maybe when i get enough spare time to add the folder.jpg to 1000 albums, i do it.