Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I would appreciate some advice on turntable set up. (Read 5123 times) previous topic - next topic

I would appreciate some advice on turntable set up.

Hello Everybody.

Even this is my first post, i have been following these forums for years, not the vinyl sections (i am new here) but the lossless codecs area, which i am an enthusiast of, but let´s me get to the topic in question, i would appreciate some advice, comments, opinion from you people to make up my mind about my future hifi buy.

I would like to buy a turntable set up, (the whole thing, turntable, receiver, speakers, anything else i may forget), and i have read most of the forum topics given advice on turntables, phono preamp, etc, but still i dwell in a sea of different doubts.

the main point is, i would also like to play some of the hybrid sacd i have (no, not with the turntable) with the same equipment.

So, considering my main interest is play vinyl and sacd, my doubts are as follow.

As far as i understand, for the vinyl part, i would need something like this, i give here some products names, this is 100% open to change.

- A turntable (I like, and think they are good enough for a beginner, the Pro-Ject RPM1.3, the rega P1, and the Music Hall mmF 2.2).
- A stereo receiver (I like this Harman/kardon HK 3485)
- A set of stereo speakers (this is yet undecided)

For the sacd i (think i ) will need.

- A SACD player. (Cambridge Audio DVD99 for example)
- A multichannel receiver (i like this Harman Kardon AVR 260 A/V receiver)
- A set of multichannel speakers.

So, the questions basically are two.

am i going right in my assumptions for both set ups?
can i make a mix of both configurations so i can avoid buying some components?

let me explain, for example, can i set up something like this?.

- SACD player +
- turntable +
- A/V receiver +
- phono preamp +
- 5.1 speakers

and avoid the buy of stereo receiver and stereo speakers?
will this last set up make sense or i am more lost than i think i am here?

any comments on all the above will be deeply appreciated, thanks.

(*) the budget is also open, from around 1000$ to 2000$, I have waited 35 years to have my one vinyl setup since i used my parents one, so no big deal waiting a few more months if necessary to save more money 

Reply #1
SACD player +
- turntable +
- A/V receiver +
- phono preamp +
- 5.1 speakers

and avoid the buy of stereo receiver and stereo speakers?
Yes!  Your home theater receiver will have stereo inputs and various options for routing the stereo signal directly to the left-front & right-front speakers (plus the subwoofer) or to all of the surround with a variety of "soundfield" effects. 

Just make sure to buy surround speakers that are at least as good-sounding as the stereo speakers you would otherwise buy.  And as I always suggest, go to the store and listen to the speakers before choosing.

I would like to buy a turntable set up, (the whole thing, turntable, receiver, speakers, anything else i may forget)
You forgot to mention the phono cartridge.

Reply #2
DVDdoug, thanks for your answer, now i have my ideas more clear towards what i need to buy.

Reply #3
some A/V receivers have decent phono preamps