Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DTS CD No Sound on Surround System (Read 6041 times) previous topic - next topic

DTS CD No Sound on Surround System

Comming from a non-nerd as I don't know ANYTHING about this stuff. Here's goes..

- I happen to have some .M4a files that I uploaded onto my computer of a Beatles DTS-CD (because I wanted to make a DTS CD backup to give to a friend with lossless format)
- I used iTunes to convert (decode) the M4a files to WAV files.
- These files played on my computer (via DTS codec in Winamp), but there was a huge hissing sound if I didn't use winamp.
- I burned two copies onto CDs, one through iTunes itself and Roxio (usually works very well)
- Put it into the DVD player and it read
- Turned on the reciever and the volume... NOTHING!
- Put the other CD in the reciever.. and... NOTHING!
- I mean, the DVD player was working and reading the disc, but there was NO SOUND AT ALL.
- I then burned it with Nero and it had a hissing sound.

Here's my system: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...ed-20/ref=nosim
CLICK for Product Official Site for Product Official Site

On the description, it states: "DTS, Dolby Digital and Pro Logic II surround sound
A built-in DTS and Dolby Digital decoder eliminates the need for an external decoder by processing all six channels of audio information to provide a surround sound experience and an astoundingly natural sense of ambience and dynamic realism. Dolby Pro Logic II provides five channels of surround processing from any stereo source."

I don't get it.... Btw, this is my first attempt at burning a DTS audio CD. However, I've played DVD movies with DTS/5.1 Dolby before and it has always worked on this system.

Any tips on how? why? =\ I'm a bit annoyed..

Thanks in advance!

Reply #1
Comming from a non-nerd as I don't know ANYTHING about this stuff. Here's goes..

- I happen to have some .M4a files that I uploaded onto my computer of a Beatles DTS-CD (because I wanted to make a DTS CD backup to give to a friend with lossless format)
- I used iTunes to convert (decode) the M4a files to WAV files.
- These files played on my computer (via DTS codec in Winamp), but there was a huge hissing sound if I didn't use winamp.
- I burned two copies onto CDs, one through iTunes itself and Roxio (usually works very well)
- Put it into the DVD player and it read
- Turned on the reciever and the volume... NOTHING!
- Put the other CD in the reciever.. and... NOTHING!
- I mean, the DVD player was working and reading the disc, but there was NO SOUND AT ALL.
- I then burned it with Nero and it had a hissing sound.

Hi, not sure I've understood everything....
Anyway: be aware the DTS-Audio CDs are not audio CDs according to the standard, but instead
carry the DTS-bitstream (14 bit/word instead of 16 -> less energy in case you accidentally listen to it
via the analog path (hiss)), and are only flagged as audio. Thus any "ripping" has to be bit-true, and I don't know what file format you are refering to with .m4a...apple lossless ? How did you rip the CD at all ?

Reply #2
try reripping you're burned CD with eac, and play the dts file in winamp to see if dts is burned to disc OK

Reply #3
Wow. Don't know about the mulitude of stuff you 're using, but:
DTS 44.1 (wav) can be played pretty much always on the pc with FOO or VLC.(FOOBAR requires .dts extension-whether wav or dts, and you need t he foo_input_dts.dll)
DTS 44.1 (dts) can be played with FOO.
DTS 44.1 can be played on hardware "universal" dvd players, either decoding through the player, or
    the receivers decoder.
    -same goes for 48khz
DTS 44.1 can supposedly be played on ANY hardware player that supports "pass through" of DTS, and
provided  you have a DTS decoder in your receiver. (I've seen exceptions).
DTS 48Khz is the DVD standard-some hardware players decode or pass through to the receiver.

If youhave the proper (digital/analog) connection from pc to HT receiver and get a hissing noise- then
check the docs on your receiver. Some only accept DTS/DD through particular digital inputs (digital coax
or Toslink), receivers with 6 analog multichannel inputs will accept input from pc soundcards that have
the appropriate 6 out.
Whew. This is not to be considered an exhaustive compendum. I burn/play DTS multichannel all the time,
but all pc/HT/hardware setups are different.
TFC yet? LOL.