Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Are CD ripping services legal? (Read 2389 times) previous topic - next topic

Are CD ripping services legal?

Are there any legal uncertainties with these services?  Does the client(owner of the CD) have the right to out source the physical process of a format change under the fair use standard?  I am interested all responses but particularly in the those from the USA.  The following assumptions regrading the service transacted are listed below:
1.  The client owns the CD and is requesting a format change by the process of ripping.
2.  The actual CD is the one being ripped not another CD that is the same title or a copy in database.

Reply #1
Are there any legal uncertainties with these services? Does the client(owner of the CD) have the right to out source the physical process of a format change under the fair use standard? I am interested all responses but particularly in the those from the USA. The following assumptions regrading the service transacted are listed below:
1. The client owns the CD and is requesting a format change by the process of ripping.
2. The actual CD is the one being ripped not another CD that is the same title or a copy in database.

We would first need to consult the DMCA in order to determine the legality surrounding CD ripping purposes. I don't really understand all of the legal technical details surrounding CD ripping, but I guess it would depend on whether or not the selected disc you were ripping was copyrighted or not and whether or not you were making a lossless backup for just yourself.

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/...23&from=rss
budding I.T professional

Reply #2
A standard Audio CD is not copy protected, so ripping it for personal backup is fair use. No DMCA involved here.

I think CD ripping services are perfectly legal, as long as they don't keep a copy for themselves. Obviously no one would know if they do or don't.
twitter.com/pika2000