Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MEGADETH's David Ellefson: "I Hate The Way Vinyl Sounds" (Read 3257 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: MEGADETH's David Ellefson: "I Hate The Way Vinyl Sounds"

Reply #1
> while most people prefer the warmer sound that vinyl brings

sounds like FAKE NEWS
or where did he get that from?
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #3
The CD masters they use make vinyls is perfect.

Evil laugh.. mmmmmwwwwahahahahahaha

Reply #4
My favorite is when something is only available on vinyl.

Reply #5
"old guy not taking a piss at something modern is always a welcome one"

Gotta love this reply! :D

Can't help thinking of all those Neil Young's pono arsekissers advocates back when he was about to start his "revolution".
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #6
I hate the way that vinyl sounds too. I have studio monitor headphones and whenever I have compared a record to a properly mastered CD, the CD always wins, and I'll give vinyl "rips" in FLAC a listen if they're offered along with CD rips, but it's purely for my own amusement and the vinyl rip usually goes right into the trash.

The problem that people generally have with the CD is that the record companies keep cranking up the loudness with dynamic range compression and so you have things like ELO where the old CDs from the 80s and 90s sound great, and then Sony Music releases a "Blu Spec 2" (supposedly a premium CD, but that's more rubbish), CD with the Best of ELO and they're screaming at you all of a sudden, and that doesn't usually happen on vinyl.

Most of the stuff I listen to isn't cranked up like that, or if the current pressing and the garbage that ends up on Spotify is ruined, I'm listening to a rip of a CD from 20 or 30 years ago.

Vinyl doesn't sound "warm". It sounds dull and lifeless.  Even worse, it wears out with repeated play and pops, clicks, warping, and the needle grinding crap into the grooves permanently is practically a given.

The format is like spoiled milk that went bad in the 1980s and trust fund hipsters who drink PBR have "rediscovered it".

"But I find most artists, they have still the merchandise booth, and fans go to buy things."

Yeah, they're back at it with the Talking Heads. I saw one record (Speaking In Tongues) go for more than I picked up their entire discography on CD (The Brick DualDiscs, no less!) for. This is ridiculous, that an obsolete format is still going, and that vinyl is growing again, like a cancer, at the expense of the much superior CD, in 2019.

"Does Ellefson not realize that streaming services allow you to store music on your phone so you don't have to buy it? "

They might let you store DRM-encumbered lossy files for a little while, but you can't keep any of it. Fundamentally, it's no different than those stupid DRM'd WMA stores like Walmart Music used to be. They just found a different way to shove DRM into music that people will passively accept.

"There was a rumor that Apple would eventually phase out downloads, so what will Ellefson do then?"

I have some ideas about that. But mostly just glad that 95% of everything worth listening to was already produced a very long time ago and CD rips in FLAC are around.

Personally, I'm happy to stick a high capacity SD card in my phone and carry everything I want to listen to with me in FLAC and have it sound good no matter what I'm listening on.

If I had to go lossy, I'd use Opus since it's leaps and bounds ahead of AAC, and when you start using High Efficiency AAC, it's patented and doesn't play correctly on many things.

Generally, if it's in my collection it means that it's worth having in FLAC, because it's not crap that nobody will even remember a few years from now.

When I used MP3 years ago, it was a bad compromise to get a reasonable amount of music on a hard drive measured in maybe 20 GB. We've grown past having to do that now.

Reply #7
There is no guarantee that re-releases on vinyl are free from heavy-handed DRC. Rather, it should be expected that there will be heavy-handed DRC.

It’s pretty funny when images of waveforms are posted supposedly proving they are more dynamic than their CD counterparts.  The vast majority actually prove the opposite unbeknownst to the people presenting them.  It has also been demonstrated that DR measurements are not a credible means to determine whether or not vinyl is free from heavy DRC.