Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why I am not interested in buying cds anymore? (Read 22405 times) previous topic - next topic

Why I am not interested in buying cds anymore?

Reply #50
I like to have the artwork that comes along with a lot of releases. Often, it can be a piece of work that the artist has had specially made for the album. In this case, it is very much a part of the album. I like to have a real version of this that I can look at. Some albums will also have a nicely made booklet to go with them, and I find that this can add to the experience too .

You should definitely buy something from Richard Skelton's Sustain-Release label: http://www.sustain-release.co.uk/catalogue.htm.
The music might not be your style, but the packaging is very special - and different for all buyers.

Reply #51
I think CDs are impractical. I haven't used a CD player in nearly a decade. I don't care about the package, the music is what's important to me.

Reply #52
I like supporting talented artists and I like album art and notes so I still buy CDs.  I hope MP3s are gone soon; lossless sounds better to me and gives peace of mind that nothing is missing.  FLAC is great for computer and portable media players.  iTunes Apple Store and Amazon should be adopting it soon.  I buy FLACs too. 

Music is so cheap there is no need to steal it.  Don't eat junk food that weakens your metabolism and get quality tunes with that money and feed your mind. 

A few times my files got deleted, and Amazon mislabels many tunes so it's good to have CDs.
opinion is not fact

Reply #53
lossless sounds better to me

Are you prepared to provide us with objective evidence, and if so would you be willing to take part in future listening tests?

Reply #54
lossless sounds better to me

Are you prepared to provide us with objective evidence, and if so would you be willing to take part in future listening tests?

Generically speaking, lossless do sound better than lossy, only under certain restrictive conditions (high bitrates, average listener, no killer samples etc...), lossy may become subjectively transparent. Of course, we all know that nowadays these conditions can be easily satisfied in an ordinary listening setup targeted to SQ for nearly every given lossless source, but the simple assumption that lossy sounds worse than lossless can always be proven true!
... I live by long distance.

Reply #55
You don't think that downloads provided by amazon and itunes (per astroidmist's post, did you read it?) don't also fall into your "restrictive condition"?

Reply #56
You don't think that downloads provided by amazon and itunes (per astroidmist's post, did you read it?) don't also fall into your "restrictive condition"?

I was speaking "generally", but ok, let's stay on the case: yes, I think they do at 99.99%, but can you be a priori sure that they do at 100%?
All the more, in the sentence you quoted he also says "[lossless] gives peace of mind that nothing is missing" and even if I myself actually don't listen from lossless sources any more, this latter, if not subjective quality, seems to me a good reason not to buy lossy material.

Reply #57
A few times my files got deleted, and Amazon mislabels many tunes so it's good to have CDs.

If you don't backup your data that's your fault. And even a CD could break or becomes otherwise unreadable...

Reply #58
All the more, in the sentence you quoted he also says "[lossless] gives peace of mind that nothing is missing" and even if I myself actually don't listen from lossless sources any more, this latter, if not subjective quality, seems to me a good reason not to buy lossy material.

If all that was given was the "peace of mind" argument then this would have been fine.

Reply #59
Writeable CDs are known to deteriorate much faster than factory-pressed silver discs, and the same should hold true for DVDs and Blu-Rays. If anything, I would expect the deterioration problem to be worse on the newer discs, since each bit is represented by a much smaller surface area, due to their higher data density.

I've had more than my fair share of CDs go bad with no use at all which is why I don't bother buying blank CD-R's anymore, however; each and every DVD I've ever burned with music, etc., on it over the past 9 years can be read perfectly fine.

Reply #60
Andavari, I am a satisfied user of TAIYO YUDEN writeable CD's from Japan and have nothing but good things to say about them.
Can you tell me what percentage of your "writeable CD's gone bad" are from TAIYO YUDEN ?

Reply #61
All I can say to the hordes of starving artists out there is: if you’re unhappy with your job, quit and find another.

I think you're missing the point, they like being artists, they just don't like people using their wares for free.