Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Gapless WMA (Read 6041 times) previous topic - next topic

Gapless WMA

The WMA decoder for foobar2000 1.0.1 (basically a default installation) doesn't seem to handle gapless properly.  WMA files play with a small gap.  This gap also appears when decoding in non-realtime and transcoding to Vorbis.  (Yes, I know transcoding is evil, but these are pretty high bitrate WMAs so i don't see it as a problem in practice.)  I understand that WMA is supposed to be gapless.  Is there a way to make foobar2000 handle gapless WMA properly?

Edit:  I meant to mention originally that WMP plays these files correctly (gaplessly) and fb2k does not.

Gapless WMA

Reply #3
I created 2 WMA files and tested Winamp 5.572 and WMP 11 - they cannot play them gaplessly too.

In fact, WMP cannot play gaplessly even plain WAVs (44/16)...

Gapless WMA

Reply #4
I created 2 WMA files and tested Winamp 5.572 and WMP 11 - they cannot play them gaplessly too.

In fact, WMP cannot play gaplessly even plain WAVs (44/16)...

WMP11 gets gapless wrong if you skip to the very end of the song to test gapless playback.  You have to skip to at least ~5-10 seconds before the end to allow it time to buffer the next track, it seems.

Gapless WMA

Reply #5
use foo_dsp_crossfader plugin.

Gapless WMA

Reply #6
You have to skip to at least ~5-10 seconds before the end to allow it time to buffer the next track, it seems.

Did you try adjusting the buffer length in fb2k?

File > Preferences > Playback > Output

Gapless WMA

Reply #8
You have to skip to at least ~5-10 seconds before the end to allow it time to buffer the next track, it seems.

Did you try adjusting the buffer length in fb2k?

File > Preferences > Playback > Output

Right now I have this at 1000 ms (the default).  I'll try adjusting this when I'm at my home computer, but shouldn't 1000 ms be good enough?

Also, gaps seem to show up even in non-realtime decoding, i.e. the kind you'd use in the converter for transcoding.

Gapless WMA

Reply #9
What a useful suggestion.

For me, foo_dsp_crossfader is the best way to get gapless playback with not gapless (gaplessless?) files.

Gapless WMA

Reply #12
wma really have gap tag?

why do not "just use" plugin?

mb wmp "just cut" gaps? like "out_ds" in winamp (by peter)

Gapless WMA

Reply #13
why do not "just use" plugin?

Because proper gapless playback is desired, not crossfading that would mess up the transition between tracks.

Gapless WMA

Reply #14
turn off this feature. leave gapless only

Gapless WMA

Reply #15
It handles WMA Lossless gapless playback properly out-of-the-box just fine for me.

Gapless WMA

Reply #16
I understand that WMA is supposed to be gapless.  Is there a way to make foobar2000 handle gapless WMA properly?

Edit:  I meant to mention originally that WMP plays these files correctly (gaplessly) and fb2k does not.

What version of WMP where these files encoded with?

Originally wma encoders didn't do gapless, but it was added with a later revision.
It could be that there isn't gapless playback information (because it was made with the old encoder) and WMP simply crossfades them (by correct estimation) in a manner that appears to be gapless playback.
elevatorladylevitateme