Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Help me build my first serious music (stereo) system (Read 11559 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Help me build my first serious music (stereo) system

Reply #50
Those Yamahas ostensibly have 4 tone controls.

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,116626.msg963615.html#msg963615

The loudness control on the remote for the RX-770 is a bit of a joke since I've found the treble control also needs massaging while adjusting the loudness control.  The bass control can be helpful, but really only when the volume is at either end of the scale.

Reply #51
If we listen digital audio files, why we can't use digital devices, not hardware, eg. "Equalizer APO" and "Room Acoustics Software" to dramatically improve the sound quality, limited only by the speakers performances? This powerful equalizer is simple amazing! Better than many analogic expensive hardware devices... and free (donations welcome).

Reply #52
2) Second suggestion--check your ears.  This is a common insult among the audiophool crowd, but the reality is that anyone my age (mid-50s) that thinks their ears are still golden is either delusional or exceptional.  Exceptionally delusional, that is.  Between military service and too much Van Halen, my ears are a bit ragged and roll off over 8kHz.  At 10kHz and up I can't hear anything at any volume below painful.  However, while that isn't a really a problem, certain midrange frequencies will sound like broken glass in a garbage disposal if they go over a certain volume.  Your statement that you avoid loud volumes because your ears are sensitive leads me to think  you may have a similar issue.  So you can see what it is that your ears are sensitive to by running the tone sweep tests at the links I provided.  Run them at a volume somewhat higher than your normal listening level to find your upper hearing limit and see if any points sound exceptionally harsh.  If  you find a point that irritates your ears, recruit a test subject to listen and see if they hear the same harshness.

Thank you so much for your input and a special thank you for those links. I actually never conducted tests like these so it was all very useful.
I learned that I pass the mosquito test (17.4 kHz) at my regular listening volume level and can still hear 18 kHz but it's a lot quieter. And I cannot hear 19 kHz and above.
17 kHz was somewhat hurtful to my ears whereas 18 kHz did not. I guess that's where my sensitivity really rolls off - at 18 kHz...

P.S. I will try implementing your other suggestions a little later.

Reply #53
Oh boy, oh boy. Apparently I like expensive speakers...
Went to another hi-fi shop in the area where they played Paradigm Prestige 85F speakers vs Focal Aria 936. The Arias blew Paradigm out of the water. The price though is significantly more than I originally decided I would spend on speakers...

Reply #55
Listening sighted or blind?  How was the room?  How will your room compare to it?
Sighted. The room was much bigger than mine (in width) and slightly bigger in depth, height the same. Plus, they have sound-proof treatment on the walls.
Pic is attached.

Reply #56
I like their wall!  Did you happen to notice what it was made out of?

As for the budget, don't rule out negotiating with them a bit--Focal Aria 936.  And you could upgrade your receiver to something like the Marantz SR7012 (on closeout) and still be close to your original budget.

Reply #57
I like their wall!  Did you happen to notice what it was made out of?
I believe they were made out of foam. I can check tomorrow.
Thanks for the other suggestion as well )))

Reply #59
Well, now I'm jealous!  My suggestion for your amp/DAC would be this:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_642SR7012/Marantz-SR7012.html

along with this:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/audyssey-multeq-editor-app/id1210584625?mt=8

and this:

https://www.marantz.co.uk/uk/products/pages/productdetails.aspx?catid=hometheatre&subcatid=avreceiver&productid=marantz2016avrremoteapp

and an old iPad. 

Then I'll be really jealous--my older version has crappier versions of both apps.   The ability to meaningfully tailor the room EQ curve is huge--many systems lack any sort of tone control when using room EQ.

Reply #60
nm.