Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why do my FLAC encodes have gaps between tracks? (Read 6752 times) previous topic - next topic

Why do my FLAC encodes have gaps between tracks?

Hello,

Guys I am really stumped.  I have ripped over 2000 CDs over the past 3 years via EAC to FLAC (as tracks, no CUE sheet) to play back via Logitech devices, i.e. Squeezebox, Transporter, etc.

On albums like Dark Side of the Moon where track transitions are supposed to be seamless, I have always noticed a bit of a "splice" sound between tracks.  This was annoying to me, but I thought it was normal.  Now, I'm understanding that these should play back just as on CD, with no gaps.  I have tried playing the tracks back via Winamp, and even burning to CD with no gaps via Nero.  The little ticks/splices between tracks remain :-(

How could this have happened?  I'm not using any Replaygain, etc. My EAC was setup using the recommended guides.

Here is a video of the transition I'm hearing, you'll have to turn up the volume a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efIOlBGoi9k

Reply #2
A lot of those recommended guides are shite.  Please show us a log file from one of your rips that is giving you problems.

Crap, I just re-ripped Dark Side of The Moon to give you a file log, and sure enough no gaps on this rip.  WTF. 

If I only knew what was causing the gaps originally, I would look for some way to fix the FLACs via some kind of batch converter.  I'm totally stumped, and now kinda angry because I don't want to re-rip everything.  That would take months.

Reply #3
If something screwed up in ripping which has resulted in bits of tracks going AWOL then I doubt you'll be able to fix them. Could be something wrong on your drive, offsets and the like. I never had a problem with EAC and FLAC and I used it for years.

I guess you should've ripped a CD which you knew had no gaps first to check it.

Reply #4
Thanks to some assistance on the Logitech boards, I found out what happened:

Each track has exactly 4608 samples/104 millseconds of silence appended to it.  Since I no longer have this problem with my rips, I can only guess that I was using an earlier version of EAC.  This changed occurred sometime in mid-2008, as rips post this date are gapless.  The problem is 90% of my rips were done before this time :-(

Do you guys know if any batch-converter I could use to chop off 4608 samples of each track?

Reply #6
Thanks.

I think I'm going to need something called CUETools, as my files are still FLAC as opposed to wave.

Reply #7
Oops, good point. I haven't used CUETools, so I don't know if/how it could do that. The FLAC files will need to be de- and reencoded in any case, but of course it's better if the program does so automatically (and transfers tags; I'd suggest a batch file for one of the programs in that topic, but that creates an issue with tags).