Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Remote Volume Control For Line Level Devices (Read 10114 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Remote Volume Control For Line Level Devices

Reply #25
Yes, it is far more difficult to implement in mass production as it requires additional software and development, as well as a chipset or processor capable of doing such an operation.
Again, nonsense.

If the TV can send PCM out of the S/PDIF then it only requires a few additional lines of code.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

How many people actually hook up additional speakers to their TV?
For those who don't like the sound of their TV speakers, quite a few.  As a portion of audio enthusiasts in forums such as this, an even larger number.

How many TVs only have optical out?
Again, quite a few, but sadly (and to your credit), optical outs with variable level controls are not as ubiquitous as some of us would like.

How many people are silly enough to use active speakers?
Considering that soundbars qualify, so the number is probably bigger than you may have at first thought.

Again, I've worked in the industry.  How about you?!?

If it's credentials you're after, I have a masters in Electrical Engineering, as well as a college level of education in Audio Engineering. And I still work in "the industry", and have done so long enough to know anyone who flaunts credentials is an idiot.

Anyone who said it was "just a few lines of code" has no idea.

We have gain control over optical out in rockbox. It's actually less code to have it. To not have it you'd have to have logic that detects that the device is in optical mode and then adjusts the gains to zero db for the optical output.

Reply #26
Yes, it is far more difficult to implement in mass production as it requires additional software and development, as well as a chipset or processor capable of doing such an operation.
Again, nonsense.

If the TV can send PCM out of the S/PDIF then it only requires a few additional lines of code.

For those who don't like the sound of their TV speakers, quite a few.  As a portion of audio enthusiasts in forums such as this, an even larger number.

Again, quite a few, but sadly (and to your credit), optical outs with variable level controls are not as ubiquitous as some of us would like.

Considering that soundbars qualify, so the number is probably bigger than you may have at first thought.

If it's credentials you're after, I have a masters in Electrical Engineering, as well as a college level of education in Audio Engineering. And I still work in "the industry", and have done so long enough to know anyone who flaunts credentials is an idiot.

We have gain control over optical out in rockbox. It's actually less code to have it. To not have it you'd have to have logic that detects that the device is in optical mode and then adjusts the gains to zero db for the optical output.

Not on a TV that has an analog gain stage after the DAC. Yes, this will be different for a receiver or rock box because it doesn't have built in speakers to drive.

Reply #27
So instead of accepting that I am speaking directly from experience (yes, that also includes implementation; not theory), you would choose to nitpick me on my usage of the language.

Anyway, good luck to you.

I am not nit picking, I am directly addressing your impulsion to show off your credentials whilst knocking my understanding. I'm not interested in you're experience, I'm interested in facts. You wave your "credentials" in my face expecting me to nod along. I can't believe you're a mod. If this had been any other section of the forum you'd be banned. I'm gob smacked.

Reply #28
Again, nonsense.

Not on a TV that has an analog gain stage after the DAC. Yes, this will be different for a receiver or rock box because it doesn't have built in speakers to drive.

All official rockbox targets have analog gain stage after the DAC. (If you are unaware rockbox is a firmware for MP3 players which of course have analog headphones).