Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What is the best tool to resample a couple of files? Sox via foobar2000? (Read 4506 times) previous topic - next topic

What is the best tool to resample a couple of files? Sox via foobar2000?

Hi,

I need to resample a couple of high res files from 192khz to 96khz. What is the right way to do it? I read about foobar2000 + sox but some people say there may be a problem with dither...

Thanks

Re: What is the best tool to resample a couple of files? Sox via foobar2000?

Reply #1
Depends.
If you leave the bit depth unchanged (24) we talk about bit 24. This is at -144 dBFS. No playback chain can resolve this.
If you reduce bit depth to 16, you must dither: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,117191.0.html
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #2
What is the right way to do it? I read about foobar2000 + sox but some people say there may be a problem with dither...
Foobar with the SoX component is a great way to do it. The SoX component itself doesn't include dither, however. So if you want to dither, you'll have to do it with either Foobar's own dither or with another component, or externally...

Reply #3
Depends.
If you leave the bit depth unchanged (24) we talk about bit 24. This is at -144 dBFS. No playback chain can resolve this.
If you reduce bit depth to 16, you must dither: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,117191.0.html
oh, didn't realise that bit depth is interdpendant with sampling rate when converting with resamlpling...

Reply #4
oh, didn't realise that bit depth is interdpendant with sampling rate when converting with resamlpling...
You're supposed to dither when you reduce the bit depth.*    If everything is 24 bits it's not necessary.   And since dither is added noise it could theoretically make the sound worse.  

In reality, you can't hear the effects of dither (or the lack of dither) under normal-reasonable listening conditions at 16-bits, much less at 24-bits. ;)  

I wouldn't loose sleep about your resampling tool/method...    I don't do much with high definition but sometimes I resample from CD (44.1kHz) and 48kHz for video, or the other way around.   I've never noticed any difference no matter what software I was using.  (I never bothered with careful ABX tests and there was no choice anyway.)    Usually the video was using Dolby Digital (lossy) and I still wasn't noticing any difference. 

* Somebody on the Audacity forum was making 8-bit files.    At 8-bits you CAN hear quantization noise and/or the dither.   Dither is supposed to sound better than raw quantization noise but this person preferred it without dither.

Reply #6
When audio is dithered the audible "hiss" is generally less audible because correctly dithered audio presses the noise into the uppermost frequencies and reduces the noise at frequencies we most hear yielding an apparent increase in signal to noise ratio.

Reply #7
Isn't SSRC more accurate than SoX?

Reply #8
Depends.

Show me your ABX for dithered vs undithered. This is a TOS violation.

Reply #9
When audio is dithered the audible "hiss" is generally less audible because correctly dithered audio presses the noise into the uppermost frequencies and reduces the noise at frequencies we most hear yielding an apparent increase in signal to noise ratio.

No, you're talking about noise shaping, which is totally different. Why weigh in on these topics when your knowledge is like this?

Reply #10
I need to resample a couple of high res files from 192khz to 96khz.
I know this is a bit off what you are asking, but to ask back?
Do you? Need to resample the files ... to files? If you just want to play them back from a computer with foobar2000 to a DAC that does not accept 192 in, you can resample on the fly upon playback.

And if you want to transfer the files to somewhere where 192 playback is not supported: you are already in lossy terrain, so ask yourself if you need 96 or can save space by going 48 (and reduce bit depth) or even to a good lossy codec.
(My attitude is, my own transcodes are disposable.)

Reply #11
Hi,

I need to resample a couple of high res files from 192khz to 96khz. What is the right way to do it? I read about foobar2000 + sox but some people say there may be a problem with dither...

Thanks

Install the latest SoX resampler foobar plugin, Case updated it for 64 bit.

It works in 64 bit floating point. Simply set your desired settings, in best quality mode and export to 32 float or whatever you want. If you wanna export to 24 bits or less, then add a dither, easily doable in foobar when you select a lossless codec for output.

Also, make sure you reduce the gain by at least a dB if your files are peaking up to 0dbfs as SRC would push it above the ceiling, that's no problem in floating point, but as soon as its truncated to 24/16, it will be clipped. Other than that you're good to go.

Hope this helps.

Reply #12
I need to resample a couple of high res files from 192khz to 96khz.
I know this is a bit off what you are asking, but to ask back?
Do you? Need to resample the files ... to files? If you just want to play them back from a computer with foobar2000 to a DAC that does not accept 192 in, you can resample on the fly upon playback.

And if you want to transfer the files to somewhere where 192 playback is not supported: you are already in lossy terrain, so ask yourself if you need 96 or can save space by going 48 (and reduce bit depth) or even to a good lossy codec.
(My attitude is, my own transcodes are disposable.)
The problem is that I play it via Android (Nvidia Shield) via USB output. Android can not resample on the flight. But you are right, the  problem is that my DAC can only do 32/96.

Hi,

Thanks

Install the latest SoX resampler foobar plugin, Case updated it for 64 bit.

It works in 64 bit floating point. Simply set your desired settings, in best quality mode and export to 32 float or whatever you want. If you wanna export to 24 bits or less, then add a dither, easily doable in foobar when you select a lossless codec for output.

Also, make sure you reduce the gain by at least a dB if your files are peaking up to 0dbfs as SRC would push it above the ceiling, that's no problem in floating point, but as soon as its truncated to 24/16, it will be clipped. Other than that you're good to go.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, will try that.

Reply #13
Isn't SSRC more accurate than SoX?
Uhmmmm.... it depends:
https://src.infinitewave.ca/?Top=SSRC_HP&Bot=SoX14_VHQ_LP&Spec=0155

Foobar is certainly a good "tool" (that can use many interesting plugins, SOX and SSRC too) for resampling, even if - unfortunally - still lacks in completeness...
https://github.com/avaneev/r8brain-free-src
https://github.com/unevens/oversimple
Hybrid Multimedia Production Suite will be a platform-indipendent open source suite for advanced audio/video contents production.
Official git: https://www.forart.it/HyMPS/