Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Possible memory leak? (Read 2116 times) previous topic - next topic

Possible memory leak?

Hello all!

I've reinstalled foobar2000 2.1 64 bit on new computer at work, reconfigured the looks, and added addons which I use at home: Discogger, MusicBrainz Tagger, SRC Resampler, Waveform Minibar (mod).

During playback of music memory usage rises to few gigabytes. It goes pretty slow, but after half an hour / hour it goes to 5-7 GB.

Annotation 2024-01-17 094416.png

Maybe it matters, maybe not, output card is "Creative Soundblaster Live! 24 bit External". It's set as default output device in windows.

I've tried without these addons, nothing changed, memory usage is still high after some time; also I'm using default user interface, nothing fancy.

What can I do, how to troubleshoot?
TAPE LOADING ERROR

Re: Possible memory leak?

Reply #2
Will try tomorrow. Just to add, when I stop playback, memory filling also stops. And it goes at a rate of approx. 4 MB/sec.
TAPE LOADING ERROR

Reply #3
What file format(s) are you playing?

Reply #4
I am playing FLAC files. I have somewhat large-ish collection, almost 3 TB, but on my old computer I had no problem at all. And this is fresh install, with even less addons than before, but what's left are the same ones I had on old installation.

And I've found out one more thing: when I minimize the windows (send it down to taskbar) memory filling stops. When I bring window up, memory filling starts again.
TAPE LOADING ERROR

Reply #6
Possibly a visualization?
I have config almost exactly the same as this one (this is from home):
Snimka zaslona 2024-01-17 182817.png

I've tried without minibar, same thing happened. I do have GPU accelerated visualisations, I will try tomorrow disabling that, and making a setup without visualisations at all.
TAPE LOADING ERROR

Reply #8
No, I don't have two adapters, I have Dell Optiplex 3000 SFF computer, with only onboard (well, on CPU) GPU.
TAPE LOADING ERROR

Reply #9
UPDATE: I've disabled HW acceleration on visualisations, and foobar behaves normally now. But visualisations are now pretty... ugly and choppy.
Old PC was Gen4 Intel i7 with nVidia Quadro GPU, and no problems whatsoever. But I am unsure if both GPUs were seen in system. This one is with Intel UHD 770.
Is there going to be an update to the visualisations to solve the bug?
TAPE LOADING ERROR

Reply #10
Peter has been made aware of the issue, but the problem cause needs to be found for it to be fixed. As far as I know you are now the second person suffering from this problem, so it's not easy to reproduce.
I don't know if a memory dump of the process would help with debugging. Let's hope Peter comes in with the right questions.

Reply #11
I'm willing to run some sort of debugging version which would provide log files, if there is such thing.
TAPE LOADING ERROR

Reply #12
I experienced also memory leaks with visualizations: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,122847.msg1017848.html#msg1017848
Setting up a new foobar2000 installation without Cover flow solved the problem. Intel UHD Graphics 730.

Reply #13
Problem being investigated.
In meanwhile, please make sure you run latest drivers for Intel UHD 770, downloaded from Intel. Do NOT trust Windows Update ones.
I had some pretty horrible experiences with this exact GPU last year, new development machine had random instability, all fixed by updating GPU drivers.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #14
Reproduced memory creep on Intel UHD 770.
Apparently reusing various D2D objects (such as gradient brushes) instead of creating them per render pass mitigates this. Fixed for the next update.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #15
Thanks, Peter.
TAPE LOADING ERROR

Reply #16
Apparently reusing various D2D objects (such as gradient brushes) instead of creating them per render pass mitigates this. Fixed for the next update.

Would this affect solid colour brushes? I reuse a single one in my component.  :-X