Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Unable to run foobar 2k after installing (Read 1852 times) previous topic - next topic

Unable to run foobar 2k after installing

I have never used fb2k before, this is my first time with the software. I first installed the 64 bit version and it ran perfectly but I couldn't use any of the "not stock" components that I got so I uninstalled it completely and then installed the 32 bit version. The installation went smoothly but this error message showed up when I tried to run it : Internal error- one or more of the installed components have been damaged; please run the foobar2000 installer again. So i ran the installer again but the same thing happened each time I did. I even tried an older version, without succes. I always uninstalled everything using the uninstaller that's in the program files folder before trying again. The problem shouldn't be directly related to my pc as there is plenty of free hard drive storage and the operating system is windows 10. Anyone knows what's happening ?
Thanks in advance

Re: Unable to run foobar 2k after installing

Reply #1
Thanks to this thread I have learned that some people have a habit of installing the bundled components in user-component directory where they don't belong.

While waiting for Peter to fix this in code you can get things working by manually removing the incorrect copies. Delete the following three directories, if they exist, from profile\user-components directory:
Code: [Select]
foo_dsp_std
foo_input_std
foo_ui_std
If you have a regular installation you can find this profile directory by copy/pasting the following to your Explorer's address field:
%appdata%\foobar2000-v2

Reply #2
There were .dll files with these names in there but no directory... I deleted them anyway but it did not change anything. In %appdata%\foobar2000-v2 there is a single empty file named "running", nothing else.
Thank you for your time

Reply #3
Could you also provice a Process Monitor log recorded when you try to run the player and get the error. Please save in the native PML format. You can right click foobar2000.exe in the monitoring window and select "Include 'foobar2000.exe'", that contains all the information needed to help figure out what is the problem.

Reply #4
Here is the log file. Using a filter I excluded all the successful events to make things simpler, let me know if it wasn't a good idea, then I'll record another log file.

Reply #5
That log file is useless because you filtered away all the required information.
But it's okay, the issue I was expecting to find and trying to help you with has since been mitigated in foobar2000 v2.1 preview. Just download the latest version and things should work now.

Reply #6
Here is a useful logfile (hopefully). The same thing happened with the 2.1 preview so I went back to the 2.0.

Reply #7
The 64 bit version still works just fine tho. Maybe the 64 bit-compatible versions of the components I need exist and I just couldn't find them, I'll do some more research.

Reply #8
That log is better, thanks.
Unfortunately I'm left confused of the cause. You have all the required components present and foobar sees them in the right location. But for some reason after loading the ffmpeg dlls the player seems to decide to quit. I don't see any explanation for that in the log.
I think Peter needs to add extra info to the error messages.

Reply #9
Thank you for your time. At least we have a better idea of what's going on now. To be continued

Reply #10
To enable secret logging mode:
Open foobar2000 profile folder - Windows Explorer: %appdata%\foobar2000-v2
Create a "logging" subfolder
Each foobar2000 run will create a timestamped text file with app lifetime events. This is more detailed than console logging and works even if foobar2000 is otherwise broken / fails to start up. These events are normally kept for crash logs (most recent of them get included).
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #11
Here are the text files. The latest was recorded when trying to run Foobar in safe mode, the other one when trying to run it normally.

Reply #12
Please try again with today's build (2.1 preview 2023-11-08) and post new logs.
Thanks.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #14
Just reporting back that your latest logs were received and they left everyone very confused. In safe mode the logs claim that no DLLs get loaded. In normal mode all components looked like they were loaded but they don't provide any services.

The Process Monitor logs you provided earlier confirmed that file sizes were correct, but that is all. Somehow in theory they could be replaced by invalid ones. You could rule that out by verifying their checksums. Though I think that's highly unlikely. But here's MD5 checksums of the 32-bit DLLs from foobar2000_v2.1_preview_2023-11-09.exe:
78432a2e04ad804bdce2a39d942df6a5 *foo_converter.dll
568e68a05f142d36bb6db3f0562efcbc *foo_dsp_eq.dll
9c0ab4defda7f5adaf8ff91ef7b6b4c7 *foo_dsp_std.dll
75f5add075ae7b28638190ff298012dd *foo_fileops.dll
a499d5a83ffddedf057d9c60fc1da768 *foo_freedb2.dll
035b24fad5624182693cf603a2390c26 *foo_input_std.dll
747ad9388b5e8f6726c27c7195219e7d *foo_ui_std.dll
7f23f9f628cc7763018b02a8469f4136 *foo_unpack.dll

I wonder if you have some software that hooks foobar2000 (or the components) trying to alter its behavior but failing spectacularly. Might be helpful to have a Process Monitor log where you don't filter stuff to just foobar2000 but show other programs too.

Also you could test starting foobar2000 when your computer is in safe mode. You can try that by running "msconfig" and test diagnostic startup.