Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: COM Automation Server for 0.9 (Read 592796 times) previous topic - next topic

COM Automation Server for 0.9

Reply #75
It is great component, but some functions, like AddTrackBefore(index), AddTrackAfter(index), RemoveTrack(index), MoveTrackTo(old_index, new_index), GetPlaybackIndex() are very usefull, but not exists

Reply #76

As I've re-wrote my code, I no longer use the PHP COM to do my bidding, I have written a VB app which works as a proxy between the web server and foobar by using XMLHTTPRequest to send song updates to the server, which the server then generates the now playing image.

Foosion, attempt to install the latest Apache server, and try running the script as a php file from the web browser. I may just have Apache/PHP set up wrong, but it doesn't apply anymore as I'm using a different approach.

Is your Apache running as a service, and if so, is it configured to run as the same user account as foobar2000? I think the default Apache service is configured to run as a network service, and it's possible that this COM server does not work across user accounts.

Wow, I never thought of that... When I get some time I'll play around and create a separate Apache service just for it

Reply #78
tried comserver2 on vista with foobar 0.9.4.2 and it doesn't seem to register, has anyone else tried it?

Reply #79
Yup, seems to work fine here on RC1, 5728, RC2 and RTM (all build i remember trying it on).

Reply #80
Yup, seems to work fine here on RC1, 5728, RC2 and RTM (all build i remember trying it on).

strange... i'm on RTM and ive tried to register it. But when i look at Preferences > Tools > Com Automation server it says the server is " Not Running: Operation unavailable" and all three paths are " Not available".

thanks for the reply btw

Reply #81
Odd. Both the automated registration during install and manual calls work.. the /regsvr:comserver2 switch.

Reply #82
Keep in mind that the registration procedure needs administrator rights to work.

Reply #84
That might have been it

Though i'm not running any special account and UAC is turned on.. Maybe i ran the COM Server install as admin (probably, all MSI ask for permissions).

Reply #85
Another question

Is it possible to get coverart through comserver2?

I'm using VBscript

Reply #86
Since when does foobar itself support coverart? Or do you mean a tag-embedded image?

Reply #87
Since when does foobar itself support coverart? Or do you mean a tag-embedded image?

Yeah, I was actually talking about coverart. You're right, It's not possible.

I just read this:
As for access to other (third-pary) components, well, many of those (including masstagger and converter) cannot be controlled from other components anyway, so binding them to COM is not possible without extra work (by the author of the specific component).

Reply #88
this sounds really, really weird, but for some reason, in vb.net 2k5 (.net 2.0), I can't do anything that references to my own form within any of the events. For example, I have this relatively simple code here:

Private Sub fooPlayback_TrackChanged(ByVal bLocationChanged As Boolean) Handles fooPlayback.TrackChanged
        Me.Hide()
        MsgBox("blah@!")
    End Sub

When I try debugging it, the program quite literally goes to Me.Hide(), fails without any error, and skips any subsequent lines altogether. I've been trying to figure out if I'd done something retarted for quite a while now, and I can't think of anything.

By the way, if I omit the Me. Hide() command or try to get, say, the track name from foobar, it'll work fine; it's just whenever I reference to something on my own form, it dies.

EDIT: It's probably something weird with the threading or something, because after creating my own thread-safe routines and some threading hackery, I got it to work. I suspect it's because the event routine is pretty much another thread, and .net usually can do the thread-safe stuff for you properly. There's probably something weird with this COM component which prevented it from happening. .net doesn't seem to like COM stuff much; it's done a lot of weird things before when I tried to get it to work with old COM components

EDIT AGAIN: seems like I can get some events to work, like trackchanged(?) but volumechanged just doesn't call at all

Reply #89
I'm using VB2005, and all works fine here 

Reply #90
I'm sorry to asking this again foosion, but....Any news of the development status???

LTourist

Reply #91
I'm re-writing my InfoBar application, and coming up with some cool stuff for my Media Player Control module. Gotta love what you can do with COM Server...

Below is a screen shot of work in progress... Click for full size version:

Reply #92
Link to your infobar application?

Reply #93
I haven't released a build yet, but when one is available I'll let everyone know.

Reply #94
I just installed this but the COM server does not seem to be running.
I want to play with this in PHP because that would be pretty good fun.

Do I need to restart or something? I have admin rights etc.
hi

Reply #95
Just make sure its registered right, Look at the foobar options page for the COM Server status. Works right after installing for me, as long as the regsvr command went ok.

Reply #96
foosion:

Any updates on development? What I'd really love is the ability to get the current playing song and edit a tag.

Specifically, my InfoBar app has a track rating dropdown button just waiting for some code on your end...

Reply #97
jimbo11883 is right. We NEED tag editing!

Reply #98
Hi, I have a question about this component. Well, lots of questions actually, as I don't really know much about using languages like C++, but I really want to make use this component, specifically I am hoping to get buttons in RocketDock that can control foobar, but I don't even know if this is possible! That seems to be the kind of thing this component is designed to do, and it would be awesome to have playback buttons in RocketDock, so... can anyone tell me where to start? What programs do I need, where can I learn what code I will need to write etc. Do I even need this component? I have been looking into things and it seems you can design "docklets", which might do the trick. Hmm, I'll keep looking.

Cheers!

Reply #99
I do not know RocketDock or how to extend it, but you generally do not need the COM Server plugin unless you want to get data from foobar2000. If you merely want to trigger certain playback functions, you can use the command line interface for foobar2000 (run foobar2000.exe with the /? parameter to get a list of supported commands).