Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: RIAA now says ripping is illegal (Read 12316 times) previous topic - next topic

RIAA now says ripping is illegal

Reply #25
Well, some things need to be cleared here.

I started this topic because in my country - POLAND - ripping music from AudioCDs, sharing compressed (ripped music) with friends is fully allowed by law. The law is law! I do not mess up with law and any organization (including holly RIAA ) will not mess up with law in my country. RIAA is making a crusade for things that are actually in duty of justice courts as part of criminal law. This is really not welcome by any normal human being to be hunted down my some strange folks in black suites.

Reply #26
Bad analogy.  I also don't pay the artist every time I play a CD.  Are you suggesting the artist should get paid once when the CD is mastered, but get no royalties for any discs sold?

The analogy with regard to freely distributing ripped music would be that, when a plumber fixes my toilet, he must fix my friends' for free also.

Well, some (even musicians themselves) think that music should be completely free, that the Artists shouldn't even charge for it.  Personally, if I could only pay the artist, I would.  I won't support RIAA record labels.  Paying record labels sends them a message that 1) It's ok to install rootkits on my pc and violate antispyware laws, 2) It's ok to conscript the U.S. government and lobby for corrupt laws hellbent on destroying technology that we take for granted today.  3) That its ok to sue 12 year olds, and specifically target Americans who don't have the money to have a single leg to stand on in court.  4) That its ok to waste taxpayers money trying to get so-called "educational" programs forced into schools to brainwash children to the whims of the content control cartel.  Any artist that signs up with an RIAA label has just signed a death sentence, both between themselves directly and the RIAA, and with the fact that there will be more and more people who will refuse to have anything do do with RIAA artists. 

Here's a counter-analogy for you "If a public library allows you to read and check out books, CD's and movies for free, then it must allow my friends to do it for free also". --Oh wait, they already do.  Regardless if authors or creators of any work in a library have made any sort of a deal with them in any way does not diminish this.  Hundreds of millions of people every year are depriving the content creators of DIRECT revenue from the "consumers" of copyrighted work from libraries, therefore, the RIAA/MPAA should pander the U.S. Senators to have all public libraries smashed down, destroyed, in the United States for facilitating copyright infringement.

I must admit I don't really understand this setup. However an artist is signed to a label under contact; what that contract entails is their business.  The label undertakes various work for an artist that I suppose deserves some recompense (developing rootkits is a costly business).  Are you suggesting that, by sharing ripped files, this is benefitting the artist more?

This has been analyzed, and published in one or more large newspapers by a Harvard Professor, that filesharing increases visibility of music and increases sales, its free advertising.  If this werent possible, then tell me how in the hell there are musicians who specifically WANT THEIR MUSIC SHARED ON P2P? FOR EXAMPLE  BILL LONERO  http://www.billlonero.com/  How come he hasn't gone out of business? he's not making money on his music online?  Independent artists also don't use DRM either, amazing isn't it? 

Again, irrelevant; you've missed the point.  This is the point: You cannot say that by purchasing an object you have the rights to do anything you wish with that object.  It just isn't the case, whether it's a gun or a CD.

Wrong, the point is that as the buyer of a product, I can do ANYTHING I wish with it, AND, you, nor anyone can stop me.  If I go buy a crowbar, here's a few things I can do with it:  1) Can pry nails from lumber, 2) Can paint it to change its color 3) Can sell it or give it away for free to anyone in the world, at will 4) Can use it for self defense if someone breaks into my home 5) Can smash a computer with it that pisses you off 6) Can smash windows with it 7) You could kill someone with it, or mug someone, with severe consequences, but you have the freedom to break the law initially.  You can do *****anything***** with it.

As others have said also, some countries have NO copyright laws whatsoever, NONE.  Your argument means absolutely nothing there not only in a philosophical sense, but also in a legal sense and in a real world sense, means absolutely nothing.  It would be like you saying that its illegal to go see a movie, and then go tell a friend not to see it because the movie sucked, and that now that person is guilty of copyright infringement because he caused another person to deprive the creator of that work of revenue.  Just because a "CREATOR" creates a work, does not predispose them to be ENTITLED the right to revenue.  If their work SUCKS, they DESERVE to suffer financially, thats the risk THEY took, they can go out of business and starve to death for all I care.  Customers are the boss, we create the rules, noone forces us to open our wallets, and when we DO open them, and buy, you better damn well believe we can do whatever on God's green earth we want with it.

Nothing that you have said has changed my perception.  However I also agree that it is useful for people to try before they buy.  That said, isn't that what the radio is for?  Less mainstream bands can, and do, provide poor quality samples on their website for evaluation purposes.  I know that this is not ideal; I'm not sure of my stance on this one; whether I have one, or particularly care to adopt one.  The simple fact is that most people who use P2P do not eventually buy the album; it is used as an alternative to making a purchase.

The radio?  Your joking right?  The radio is full of illegal payola driven, extremely repetitive CRAP music (none of which is independent btw), and I stopped listening to it years ago after realizing the same people representing the music played on the radio are wasting taxpayers dollars to fight an artificial and futile war against so-called piracy, raiding colleges (in my home town even) to go look for MP3's (the FBI), conscripted by the **AA's.  They're doing this instead of "protecting" this country.  Attorney General Elliot Spitzer's investigations into payola with radio stations are all over the web, maybe its time for you to become aware of the real world legal investigations that these people you think are being "hurt" by P2P are guilty for themselves.  They're scum and they deserve to be boycotted.

Bottom line is this:  Your perspective on the issues with music is solely limited by how oblivious one chooses to be to what thousands of other people have had to say about the Multi-national corporate worldwide government promoting copyright industrial cartel.  The more people read the facts at www.p2pnet.net, www.boycottriaa.com, www.webcasteralliance.org., www.cdfreaks.com.  The less influence the **AA's will have attempting to poison your mind, and redefine your beliefs without you realizing it until you too become a sucker to their propaganda.

Reply #27
Here is a solution that actually exists, for classical music:

Magnatune Offers High-Quality Classical Downloads

http://www.stereophile.com/news/1205magnatune/index.html

excerpt:

"The whole idea of Magnatune is that when you buy an album, you actually make a difference in an artist's life," Buckman told Stereophile. "In other purchasing situations, money goes directly to record labels, which then decide what to give artists. With us, musicians and music come first."

Reply #28
The more people read the facts at www.p2pnet.net, www.boycottriaa.com, www.webcasteralliance.org., www.cdfreaks.com. The less influence the **AA's will have attempting to poison your mind

Problem is that the great majority of people dont even know that **AA exists. Or just dont know WHY they exist. And they are just the ones who really influences record labels sales.
Alguém pare o mundo que eu quero descer!!

Reply #29
I know someone who has a workmate who's dog gets cheap DVDs from their relative in Malaysia.  What's that all about?  How can they press and distribute Disney DVDs so cheaply?  Is that legal, or just unprosecutable?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=364734"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As far as I know, some countries ignore copyrights. Hong-Kong would be one of them.

Many CD or DVD in south-east Asia are "unlicencied", that is manufactured and sold without the agreement of the copyright owner. I know about one for sure : the DVD box with all Ghibli movies (animes by Hayao Miyazaki, Isao Takahata etc). The Ghibli studio said that they never authorised the distribution of such a DVD box.

Maybe it is legal in some countries. On some items, it is written "Not for sale outside Hong-Kong and Macau".

Reply #30
in canada they also recognize "personal use" when it comes to ripping media and this is actually part of the copyright law. it means you can copy for personal usage but you can't rent ,copy, re-produce without permission. the law actually says that you're not liable for copyright infringement as long as it's for personal use only - yours and no one else.

bear in mind that laws regarding P2P don't exist here. the recording industry are simply using the copyright laws and apply it to everything even though there's no specific law that bans or prohibits P2P. plus we also pay very costly levies on optical media, hard drives, mp3 players, etc. and that money goes to the recording industry to offset some of the costs related to piracy.

here in canada, unlike in the states and the EU, it's been an uphill battle for the recording industry. they've gone to court a number of times and tried to persuade the government to declare P2P illegal but so far their legal efforts have mostly failed with several judges telling them to take a hike.
Be healthy, be kind, grow rich and prosper

Reply #31
Well, some (even musicians themselves) think that music should be completely free, that the Artists shouldn't even charge for it.

Either these artists have signed a contract with someone to sell their music or they haven't. Those that have have gone against their principles, and for those that haven't surely it's not too hard to find their music for free if they're providing it themselves
Personally, if I could only pay the artist, I would.

And what, expect him to pay for studio time, promotion, materials &c. out of their own pocket in the hope he'll get it back?

I won't support RIAA record labels.  Paying record labels sends them a message that 1) It's ok to install rootkits on my pc and violate antispyware laws, 2) It's ok to conscript the U.S. government and lobby for corrupt laws hellbent on destroying technology that we take for granted today.  3) That its ok to sue 12 year olds, and specifically target Americans who don't have the money to have a single leg to stand on in court.  4) That its ok to waste taxpayers money trying to get so-called "educational" programs forced into schools to brainwash children to the whims of the content control cartel.  Any artist that signs up with an RIAA label has just signed a death sentence, both between themselves directly and the RIAA, and with the fact that there will be more and more people who will refuse to have anything do do with RIAA artists. 

Much as the RIAA does bad things, the artists still sign the contracts. Are they foolish, twofaced or content?

Here's a counter-analogy for you "If a public library allows you to read and check out books, CD's and movies for free, then it must allow my friends to do it for free also". --Oh wait, they already do.  Regardless if authors or creators of any work in a library have made any sort of a deal with them in any way does not diminish this.  Hundreds of millions of people every year are depriving the content creators of DIRECT revenue from the "consumers" of copyrighted work from libraries, therefore, the RIAA/MPAA should pander the U.S. Senators to have all public libraries smashed down, destroyed, in the United States for facilitating copyright infringement.

That's rather silly. Having CDs to lend is entirely different to copying them, particularly from a legal perspective.

This has been analyzed, and published in one or more large newspapers by a Harvard Professor, that filesharing increases visibility of music and increases sales, its free advertising.  If this werent possible, then tell me how in the hell there are musicians who specifically WANT THEIR MUSIC SHARED ON P2P? FOR EXAMPLE  BILL LONERO  http://www.billlonero.com/  How come he hasn't gone out of business? he's not making money on his music online?  Independent artists also don't use DRM either, amazing isn't it?

Independent artists also don't make as much money as record labels. Business is nothing to do with music; sad but true.

Wrong, the point is that as the buyer of a product, I can do ANYTHING I wish with it, AND, you, nor anyone can stop me.  If I go buy a crowbar, here's a few things I can do with it:  1) Can pry nails from lumber, 2) Can paint it to change its color 3) Can sell it or give it away for free to anyone in the world, at will 4) Can use it for self defense if someone breaks into my home 5) Can smash a computer with it that pisses you off 6) Can smash windows with it 7) You could kill someone with it, or mug someone, with severe consequences, but you have the freedom to break the law initially.  You can do *****anything***** with it.

If it were possible to prevent crowbars from being used to mug people without any other effects, do you really not think that would be a good idea? That's of course not analogous to rootkits, which clearly do have other effects, but I really don't see any problem with DRM providing it doesn't actually do anything else. It wasn't possible for the consumer to make perfect copies of the music he bought twenty years ago, after all.

As others have said also, some countries have NO copyright laws whatsoever, NONE.  Your argument means absolutely nothing there not only in a philosophical sense, but also in a legal sense and in a real world sense, means absolutely nothing.  It would be like you saying that its illegal to go see a movie, and then go tell a friend not to see it because the movie sucked, and that now that person is guilty of copyright infringement because he caused another person to deprive the creator of that work of revenue.  Just because a "CREATOR" creates a work, does not predispose them to be ENTITLED the right to revenue.  If their work SUCKS, they DESERVE to suffer financially, thats the risk THEY took, they can go out of business and starve to death for all I care.  Customers are the boss, we create the rules, noone forces us to open our wallets, and when we DO open them, and buy, you better damn well believe we can do whatever on God's green earth we want with it.

I actually have no idea what you're talking about now.

The radio?  Your joking right?  The radio is full of illegal payola driven, extremely repetitive CRAP music
Sad but true.
(none of which is independent btw)
Sad and not entirely true.

Bottom line is this:  Your perspective on the issues with music is solely limited by how oblivious one chooses to be to what thousands of other people have had to say about the Multi-national corporate worldwide government promoting copyright industrial cartel.  The more people read the facts at www.p2pnet.net, www.boycottriaa.com, www.webcasteralliance.org., www.cdfreaks.com.  The less influence the **AA's will have attempting to poison your mind, and redefine your beliefs without you realizing it until you too become a sucker to their propaganda.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=366062"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I haven't read all of those links extensively, but if you think they're all unbiased you're equally as blind as someone who believes all the RIAA says. Just to give a little perspective, a very small proportion of the music I now buy is affiliated with the RIAA, and those that are tend to be from '80s.

Reply #32
[/QUOTE]And what, expect him to pay for studio time, promotion, materials &c. out of their own pocket in the hope he'll get it back?

When I'm boycotting him, he or she doesn't get jack $hit, thats the price you pay as an artist if your stupid enough to sign a contract by an RIAA affiliated label.  Alot of musicians would make just as much money working at a 7-11 store by the time all the money is taken by everyone else except the artist.  That's the price musicians pay for being ignorant of how much they will or are getting screwed unless the go independent and use the internet as their primary method of getting known.

Much as the RIAA does bad things, the artists still sign the contracts. Are they foolish, twofaced or content?

Answered in the above response.

That's rather silly. Having CDs to lend is entirely different to copying them, particularly from a legal perspective.

It is a rather perfectly applicable and relevant analogy.  The MPAA/RIAA etc all scream bloody murder and say that when you download a song it's the same as stealing, and say that it does not qualify as trying before you buy.  But a public library allows anyone to try before they buy; whether its books, cd's, or movies.  While these are not the newest releases by any means, the principle still applies here.  Also, nothing is to stop anyone from renting DVD's or music from libraries and ripping them for their own personal collection, thus in the RIAA/MPAA's minds, they are in effect, FACILITATING copyright infringement.

You can't walk into a grocery store and grab a movie off the shelf for free and go rip it because you will be arrested for shoplifting, you can from a library however.  A library removes the purchasing requirement which makes so-called 'piracy' a little more difficult.

Independent artists also don't make as much money as record labels. Business is nothing to do with music; sad but true.

They sure as hell have alot more talent than just about any RIAA music made after 1995, and they also don't compress and distort their recordings all to hell to try to get your attention when you hear them on the radio, not to mention disingenuously try to make you think CD quality music is no different than Itunes DRM compressed crap, to fool the general public into further accepting crippled DRM downloads, since they won't think they're missing anything when the past 11 years of CD mastering has destroyed the fidelity of recorded music.

If it were possible to prevent crowbars from being used to mug people without any other effects, do you really not think that would be a good idea?

Hell no, thats not even debateable, the fact that you could even think of a question like that puts you squarely in line with the same mentality of those that want a Police State/New World Order.  Regardless of what your religious beliefs may be I'm going to say this:  When God created Adam and Eve, did He make it impossible for Eve to CHOOSE evil?  Did He prevent her from biting into the apple?  No.  What you just said also removes the responsibility of the crowbar owner to exercise his or her sense of what is right and wrong, so you want to remove that 'burden' of people to have to think for themselves and excercise self control, and put that control in the hands of a corporate or goverment entity to control those who have crowbars?  At whos expense also?  Sorry that smacks of fascism in my book, because your implying that **someone else** knows best instead of the individual.

Allow me to rephrase what you just said to illustrate the gravity of your statement.

'If it were possible to prevent guns from being used to mug (implying kill) without any other effects, do you really not think that would be a good idea'? 

Nope, violation of 1st Constitutional Amendment  --I need say no more (bearing arms assumes they WORK, i.e. as in are USEABLE, to shoot, to be able to defend yourself etc, DRM'ing a gun effectively violates the 1st Amendment through emasculation.

'If it were possible to prevent encryption from preventing law enforcement from being able to view the contents of a suspects hard drive without any other effects, do you really not think that would be a good idea'?

It's actually happening right now, Executives at Microsoft are showing police officers how to get in the secret NSA backdoor(s) of Windows Vista built in encryption utilities.  That's ok, when most people encrypt their HDD's (they won't  use Vista) its for the SPECIFIC purpose of making it as hard as possible if not impossible for even the NSA, FBI, DHS, CIA, local cops to be able to break it, it's none of their business wtf is on anyones machine, legal or illegal.  Even if someone is a terrorist or other criminal, the FREEDOM that technology provides, TRUMPS national security, without freedom NOTHING else matters.

That's of course not analogous to rootkits, which clearly do have other effects, but I really don't see any problem with DRM providing it doesn't actually do anything else.

Therefore you have no problem willfully forfeiting your fair use rights and personal property rights, and you also have no problem helping fund the very people who want to outlaw technology that you have probably enjoyed, and perhaps even make this website illegal for talking about NON-DRM'd audio compression, and which drives are best able to bypass copy protections.  Maybe when hydrogenaudio.org gets served a DMCA takedown notice and the freedom you had to post here will be non-existant because the site won't even exist.  We'll see how your attitude and beliefs stand up if and when that ever happens--remember in Finland (for example), it's illegal to even TALK about DRM in any organized manner, these are the types of laws that people need to be removed from power from for perpetrating upon their countries.

It wasn't possible for the consumer to make perfect copies of the music he bought twenty years ago, after all.

Yeah, that's irrelevant.  Americans and the world abroad had the best technology at the time and we enjoyed it and used it to its fullest extent.  People made dubs of innumerable cassette tapes and we passed them around and listened to them on our home stereos or in our cars.  The 'sneaker net' was alive and well back then because that's all there was, and the **AA's never complained back then.

I actually have no idea what you're talking about now.

Freedom prevails over all else, fair use trumps copyright law

I haven't read all of those links extensively, but if you think they're all unbiased you're equally as blind as someone who believes all the RIAA says.[/QUOTE]

If you or anyone were to publicly proclaim that ANY SITE was unbiased, they would say that YOU or they were blind.  People love to try to make it look like their point of view is omniscient and voids all others point of view.  The less you read from different sources, the more limited your understanding remains, this is obvious.  At the same time, if you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.  Disagree with me an any point you wish, just remember in the future when you wish to do something with your digital music/media and you are not able to do it because they took your freedom away, you helped bring it upon yourself by giving the benefit of the doubt to an extortionist cartel desiring nothing but to turn the entire realm of entertainment into 'pay PER play, PER CLICK, and per VIEW' for everything that you and I are currently able to enjoy for free today (example, AOL trying to spearhead the idea of charging for emails).

Just to give a little perspective, a very small proportion of the music I now buy is affiliated with the RIAA, and those that are tend to be from '80s.

Good music was made in the 80's, personally if I were to buy some now, I would buy it used from ebay or somewhere else, used.  Btw I also don't believe in paying record labels 90 years after the artist is dead.  (Btw it used to be 75 years after the artists death before the work became public domain, they didn't think that was long enough so it was extended to 90 years, cool huh?)

Reply #33

And what, expect him to pay for studio time, promotion, materials &c. out of their own pocket in the hope he'll get it back?

When I'm boycotting him, he or she doesn't get jack $hit, thats the price you pay as an artist if your stupid enough to sign
a contract by an RIAA affiliated label.  Alot of musicians would make just as much money working at a 7-11 store by the time
all the money is taken by everyone else except the artist.  That's the price musicians pay for being ignorant of how much
they will or are getting screwed unless the go independent and use the internet as their primary method of getting known.

Although I was mistaken by quite what you meant when you first posted this, it's worth pointing out that it was only after
the sentence I was quoting that you actually mentioned RIAA affiliated labels.

It is a rather perfectly applicable and relevant analogy.  The MPAA/RIAA etc all scream bloody murder and say that when you
download a song it's the same as stealing, and say that it does not qualify as trying before you buy.  But a public library
allows anyone to try before they buy; whether its books, cd's, or movies.  While these are not the newest releases by any
means, the principle still applies here.  Also, nothing is to stop anyone from renting DVD's or music from libraries and
ripping them for their own personal collection, thus in the RIAA/MPAA's minds, they are in effect, FACILITATING copyright
infringement.
I don't see why this matters at all; libraries intently have a legitimate purpose. Although needless to
say many people do take advantage of them, the same could be said for shops.

You can't walk into a grocery store and grab a movie off the shelf for free and go rip it because you will be arrested
for shoplifting, you can from a library however.  A library removes the purchasing requirement which makes so-called 'piracy'
a little more difficult.

True enough.

If it were possible to prevent crowbars from being used to mug people without any other effects, do you really not
think that would be a good idea?

Hell no, thats not even debateable, the fact that you could even think of a question like that puts you squarely in line with
the same mentality of those that want a Police State/New World Order.  Regardless of what your religious beliefs may be I'm
going to say this:  When God created Adam and Eve, did He make it impossible for Eve to CHOOSE evil?  Did He prevent her from
biting into the apple?  No.  What you just said also removes the responsibility of the crowbar owner to exercise his or her
sense of what is right and wrong, so you want to remove that 'burden' of people to have to think for themselves and excercise
self control

That is actually a very interesting philosophical point, and I'm sure one that I've argued in much the same way myself under
different circumstances.

and put that control in the hands of a corporate or goverment entity to control those who have crowbars?  At whos
expense also?  Sorry that smacks of fascism in my book, because your implying that **someone else** knows best instead of the
individual.

For my part, I'd say that laws in general imply that someone else knows, if not best, then certainly well, although I know
that's not what you mean.

Allow me to rephrase what you just said to illustrate the gravity of your statement.

'If it were possible to prevent guns from being used to mug (implying kill) without any other effects, do you really not
think that would be a good idea'? 

Nope, violation of 1st Constitutional Amendment  --I need say no more (bearing arms assumes they WORK, i.e. as in are
USEABLE, to shoot, to be able to defend yourself etc, DRM'ing a gun effectively violates the 1st Amendment through
emasculation.

Since I'm not American, that doesn't really have any powerful meaning for me. It is interesting, though, that there seems to
be so much more opposition to any control coming from the US than from Britain, given that over here in many ways the US is
seen as allowing its citizens much less personal freedom (although I've never experienced your country first hand, my brother
lives in NY state and he's noticed many small things). It's also worth pointing out that as well as it being illegal to carry
guns here, it's also illegal to carry any weapons for self-defence (something I fully support, incidentally), so again your
rephrasing doesn't mean a lot to me. Also that paragraph I just wrote is terribly formed and possibly doesn't even make
sense.

'If it were possible to prevent encryption from preventing law enforcement from being able to view the contents of a suspects
hard drive without any other effects, do you really not think that would be a good idea'?

It's actually happening right now, Executives at Microsoft are showing police officers how to get in the secret NSA backdoor
(s) of Windows Vista built in encryption utilities.  That's ok, when most people encrypt their HDD's (they won't  use Vista)
its for the SPECIFIC purpose of making it as hard as possible if not impossible for even the NSA, FBI, DHS, CIA, local cops
to be able to break it, it's none of their business wtf is on anyones machine, legal or illegal.  Even if someone is a
terrorist or other criminal, the FREEDOM that technology provides, TRUMPS national security, without freedom NOTHING else
matters.
Somehow to me that is relevant problem, possibly because of selfish motives; while I do have sensitive information I
don't intend to attack anyone with a crowbar  .

I think to illustrate my original point it needs to be reduced rather more since as it stands there are far too many other
aspects interfering with it. The crux of it is this:
A company is making a crowbar. It's almost complete but without one more component it's entirely non-functional. There is a
choice of two components, X and Y. Both are identical in cost, in design, and in every other way but one. Both can be used to
pry things open, and both can be used for self-defence. Somehow, though, component Y cannot be used for attacking people with
(this is a very special crowbar, of course!) Under what justification could the company add in component Y? To allow
freedom of choice? Of course that's not even remotely analogous to the situation since DRM isn't something that's equally as
easy to apply as a... lack of DRM. But how off-topic can a post in Off-Topic get? 

Reply #34
That's of course not analogous to rootkits, which clearly do have other effects, but I really don't see any problem
with DRM providing it doesn't actually do anything else.

Therefore you have no problem willfully forfeiting your fair use rights

which don't actually exist for me in the form implied

and personal property rights

I was actually rather exaggerating my own viewpoint to play the devil's advocate a little there. Got to love Internet
personalities  What I can honestly say is that DRM has had absolutely no effect on my life, since as I said I very
rarely buy RIAA CDs, and I actually haven't seen a copy-protected disc in my life. Also I never rip CDs to computer, so I
probably wouldn't even notice if they were copy protected. That's more what I meant; from a purely personal perspective I
don't have an issue with DRM. On the other hand the concept of DRM isn't one I agree with at all, which is why

and you also have no problem helping fund the very people who want to outlaw technology that you have probably
enjoyed, and perhaps even make this website illegal for talking about NON-DRM'd audio compression, and which drives are best
able to bypass copy protections.  Maybe when hydrogenaudio.org gets served a DMCA takedown notice and the freedom you had to
post here will be non-existant because the site won't even exist.  We'll see how your attitude and beliefs stand up if and
when that ever happens--remember in Finland (for example), it's illegal to even TALK about DRM in any organized manner, these
are the types of laws that people need to be removed from power from for perpetrating upon their countries.
doesn't
really hold.

Just to give a little perspective, a very small proportion of the music I now buy is affiliated with the RIAA, and
those that are tend to be from '80s.

Not particularly important, but for some reason I forgot to post "or before" at the end of that.

I haven't read all of those links extensively, but if you think they're all unbiased you're equally as blind as
someone who believes all the RIAA says.

If you or anyone were to publicly proclaim that ANY SITE was unbiased, they would say that YOU or they were blind.  People
love to try to make it look like their point of view is omniscient and voids all others point of view.  The less you read
from different sources, the more limited your understanding remains, this is obvious.  At the same time, if you don't stand
for something, you will fall for anything.  Disagree with me an any point you wish, just remember in the future when you wish
to do something with your digital music/media and you are not able to do it because they took your freedom away, you helped
bring it upon yourself by giving the benefit of the doubt to an extortionist cartel desiring nothing but to turn the entire
realm of entertainment into 'pay PER play, PER CLICK, and per VIEW' for everything that you and I are currently able to enjoy
for free today (example, AOL trying to spearhead the idea of charging for emails).
That whole paragraph basically
reinforces the message that the whole of your last post gave me: your thoughts and opinions are really much more considered
than I first gave you credit for, and while I do disagree on some points I apologise for being needlessly aggressive in my
first reply 

Bit of a mammoth post there, I think 

Reply #35
To correct something I misstyped referring to guns, I meant 2ND Amendment, not the 1st.

That whole paragraph basically reinforces the message that the whole of your last post gave me: your thoughts and opinions are really much more considered
than I first gave you credit for, and while I do disagree on some points I apologise for being needlessly aggressive in my
first reply 

Well said, I give you credit for being humble, I could probably use a little more humility myself.  Not something that is common to see on blogs/posts.

I don't see why this matters at all; libraries intently have a legitimate purpose. Although needless to say many people do take advantage of them, the same could be said for shops.

Same can be said for P2P

Somehow to me that is relevant problem, possibly because of selfish motives; while I do have sensitive information I don't intend to attack anyone with a crowbar

I own a computer and I don't intend to attack anyone by hacking into their machine, commit identity fraud, steal someones credit card, bank, and DMV records, but those are just words, how does anyone know for a fact that I wouldn't do that?  How would they know you or I are not a "potential" criminal?  Does the possibility that anyone in the world could in fact be a potential criminal warrant that they have no right and/or reasonable expectation of privacy?  Does their suspicion of you mean that you should sheepishly step aside and allow them to peruse the entire contents of your hard drive, at will, without your consent?  If you think it does, then start practicing saluting from your chest.

I think to illustrate my original point it needs to be reduced rather more since as it stands there are far too many other aspects interfering with it. The crux of it is this: A company is making a crowbar. It's almost complete but without one more component it's entirely non-functional. There is a choice of two components, X and Y. Both are identical in cost, in design, and in every other way but one. Both can be used to pry things open, and both can be used for self-defence. Somehow, though, component Y cannot be used for attacking people with (this is a very special crowbar, of course!) Under what justification could the company add in component Y? To allow
freedom of choice? Of course that's not even remotely analogous to the situation since DRM isn't something that's equally as easy to apply as a... lack of DRM. But how off-topic can a post in Off-Topic get?

Ill translate this into a real world equivalent:

"The crux of it is this: A company is making a computer processor and another company is making a new operating system. It's almost complete but without one more component it's entirely non-functional. There is a choice of two components, X and Y. Both are identical in cost, in design, and in every other way but one. Both can be used to connect to the internet, and both can be used for thwarting hacker attempts and unauthorized access. Somehow, though, component Y cannot be used for running open source software programs, or downloading "unapproved" files, nor making backup copies with your software of choice with (this is a very special computer, of course!) Under what justification could the company add in component Y? To allow freedom of choice? Of course that's not even remotely analogous to the situation since DRM isn't something that's equally as easy to apply as a... lack of DRM. But how off-topic can a post in Off-Topic get?[/QUOTE]

Under what justification could the company add in component Y? To allow freedom of choice?

The justification is this:  Noone is adding anything, things are being taken away, and with a bastardized form of re-engineering, are being "given back" to you, masquerading as "new features", "interoperability", and "latest technology".  What are some reasons freedom of choice should matter?  Lets consider some preposterous applications of "DRM" to non computer, non digital things.

Hammers (or crowbars) last a long time, companies that make hammers probably wish they could make more money on them since they can last for over 20 years.  Maybe there should be an RFID (with your personal info, DNA profile, retinal scan ID, and fingerprints, voice recognition data, etc) transmitter in the hammer that charges your bank account on a per swing (or per nail pull) basis, to ensure more consistent revenue flow to the hammer manufacturer.  By the way, if you get caught trying to remove the RFID chip, its a federal offense, with 5 years imprisonment and $250,000 fine.

How much greed will people continually sympathise with by large corporations before they realize they're totally out of control?  Don't feed the beast, starve it, and it will destroy itself.  Corruption cannot prevail forever.

Innovation
Stop the egregious lawsuits
Create a quality product with longevity and true value to the customer
Don't sue your customers
Don't lie to the general public and the world
Acknowledge the importance and necessity of competition in the marketplace instead of trying to literally destroy your competitors through lies, bribes, and unethical behavior in general
Make lobbying illegal worldwide, punishable by a 5 milllion dollar fine and 20 years in prison
I could go on but you get where Im coming from.

Reply #36
Nothing to add here more than appreciating the posts from TrueAudio, it's so refreshing to read you 'cause all that you say and all the analogies keep a look on a bigger picture of what's really important: personal freedom and the right to choose

Thanks! 
"If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off"
- Sir Isuck Newton -