Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Does anyone use a Raspberry Pi for streaming (Read 6561 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Does anyone use a Raspberry Pi for streaming

Reply #25
So, I'm noticing something interesting and I haven't even started to test.

I'm using a Raspberry Pi 3B+ and a JDS Labs OL DAC that has both USB and TOSLink.  Using AlsaMixer, I have the volume maxed for the USB DAC, which is supposed to be Line Level Out.  The TOSLink HAT doesn't have any volume controls.

TOSLink is a lot quieter than USB is.  I can hear that it's quieter, but I also have a VU meter connected, and the two bars only get about halfway up the VU meter via TOSLink, but they get almost all the way to the top on loud parts over USB.

I have to assume that maxing out the volume on alsamixer is getting me above line level out.  I'm curious how I determine the exact volume setting for Line Level Out.

Reply #26
So, if I do a non-blind comparison and can't hear any difference, is there any point to doing a full ABX test?

Reply #27
If you're comfortable with using either/or mode, and doing a simple non-blind comparison isn't giving you any doubts, there's no reason to really push for a double-blind, unless you're recommending the results to others. Double-blind is essential for serious comparison, or making objective recommendations about the technical merits of one over the other. If you're just picking a mode for personal use, and can't readily tell them apart, just go with whatever is easiest or less painful to implement.

Reply #28
Placebo is strong when it comes to audio.  I was 100% sure there was no difference.  And then I thought I heard a slight difference in one song.  I think I will need to ABX it, just to put it to rest in my own head.  From my past experience, I am 99% sure that I am imagining things and the ABX test will come out showing that I am guessing.  That's the beauty of doing an ABX test.  It's objective and puts the matter to rest.  Sadly it's 10:38 PM here and I don't have time to move this setup to a computer with a line in.  So, it's going to have to wait till tomorrow.

Reply #29
IMO: If a difference is heard, the full ABX is needed to prove that it is not bias driven. On the other hand if some careful listening in a quiet room yields no perceived heard differences, I doubt that an ABX will then throw up any, and is therefore unnecessary. Also, why bother?

Referring to domestic use cases of course, not to testing at equipment design stages.