Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Copying Hidden Tracks (Read 3732 times) previous topic - next topic

Copying Hidden Tracks

Apologies if this has been asked, but I'm new to hydrogen audio and haven't been able to find the answer to my question through searching the forums.

I'm using EAC to copy cds to MP3 (just sticking with the alt-preset standard setting at the moment), and am pleased with the results. However, several albums I have include "hidden" tracks appended to the end of the last track on the album. I don't really want to copy & encode 6-7mins of silence so how can I split the track in three to create, say "Track 12", "Filler", "Track 13"? I can then just copy tracks 12 and 13, ignoring the silence in the middle. Do I need something like mp3directcut, or is there an alternative approach I can use?

Guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

Copying Hidden Tracks

Reply #2
You also could edit it in the wav editor and then encode it.

Copying Hidden Tracks

Reply #3
You could use the Copy Range feature of EAC.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=319762"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Cool, thanks    Just started using EAC recently so I'm still getting to grips with all the features.

Michael

Copying Hidden Tracks

Reply #4
I'd use EAC's wav editor for this task. It's a very nice feature - when EAC is open, go to Tools --> Process WAV, and you're in business. The main downside is that each wav editor window is dependent on a parent main EAC window.

When I split a single cd track into multiple mp3 files, I generally give it the following tracknumber convention:

Artist--10_1--Final_Main_Track.mp3
Artist--10_2--hidden_track.mp3
God kills a kitten every time you encode with CBR 320

Copying Hidden Tracks

Reply #5
What I sometime do in this cases is to rip as image+cuesheet uncompressed.
Then I edit the cuesheet and manulay split the last track into 3 tracks (the first part, the silence and the last part). Of course to do that you must know the starting and ending point of the silent part, You can use EAC wave editor to check for those points

Finally I load the cuesheet in foobar2000 and use it to encode to MP3.
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

Copying Hidden Tracks

Reply #6
because i use my mp3's mainly for playback on my pc, i use a slightly different method.  i rip the cd's as they are, leaving all the tracks intact, but i use foobar2000 for playback, and have the "skip silence" component enabled.  so when i am listening to a track with a long silence, and then a hidden track at the end, foobar2000 will skip the silence, and play the hidden track directly after the main song.  this prevents me from having to tamper with the way the cd was designed by the artist.
a windows-free, linux user since 1/31/06.

Copying Hidden Tracks

Reply #7
There's one time I've tampered with a CD because of this; John Fahey's last. It's got 18 minutes of silence between the second last and the last track, which is just too ridiculous.... The artist was dead by the time the CD was put together, so the CD layout are due to the producers decisions. I left 30 seconds of silence to respect the wish for a pause, but can see no diminution of artistic content from dropping the 17 min and 30 secs. Its a fantastic record BTW, as sensible and spiritual and raw as they come. I cut with some wave editor. Maybe Audacity?
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts