Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Watching the bitrate.... (Read 5290 times) previous topic - next topic

Watching the bitrate....

I've been playing with the source code for ogg123 and added in some lines to print to a file the instantaneous bitrates so I can plot them w.r.t.

Anyway, after a short 5 min mucking around, I got these two beautiful graphs to share with everyone.  (x axis is time in seconds, y axis is bitrate in kbps)

Bitrates for GT3b1 (q5) on harp40_1.wav

Enjoy

Watching the bitrate....

Reply #1
You can try an oggspot that I've written some time ago for that purpose, rather than using ogg123.

It's still early development, but should suffice for what you wanted.

I wanted to do something in the lines of what EncSpot does, but have no time for that now.
- Eugene 'HMage' Bujak

Watching the bitrate....

Reply #2
Can you post a win32 binary, please ?

Watching the bitrate....

Reply #3
This program does not have a GUI yet, I don't have time for that.

But here's the gnuplot-generated graph of Linkin Park - In The End for each block:

Axis X - time, in seconds.
Axis Y - bitrate, in bits per second.

Every vorbis block is represented as dot on this graph.
Encoded with libvorbis 1.0 and oggenc 1.0 with -q5 key.

We can see practically three layers of different block types - near-nominal (most of the stream), high-bitrate (presumably, on sharp attacks and hard to encode blocks), and low-bitrate (presumably, on very easy to encode blocks).

Here's graph of the same song encoded with libvorbis 20030903 CVS:

And here's encoded with Garf's GTune 3 beta 1 (linux binary from his webpage):

To see the difference between libvorbis 1.0 and libvorbis 20030903 CVS, you'll need to open these files in two windows and switch between them:
Encoded with libvorbis 1.0
Encoded with libvorbis 20030903 CVS

I observe that all short blocks with high bitrate now use more bytes. Same tendency on low-bitrate blocks - they have now more bits for detail.

Encoded with Garf's GTune3b1

The picture of Garf's GTune is drastically different - the bitrate scale of graph has to be adjusted, since it adds another very-high-bitrate layer of blocks, moving half of them from high-bitrate layer. Also, this encode also adds a teeny bit of just-below-nominal bitrate blocks too.
- Eugene 'HMage' Bujak

Watching the bitrate....

Reply #4
Hi

I know there's a win32 version around but the link I get is 404. Can anyone tell me where can I download it? (or pm me to mail it to me)

Thanks in advance!