Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Monkey's Audio 3.98 ALPHA1 Available (Read 15135 times) previous topic - next topic

Monkey's Audio 3.98 ALPHA1 Available

Reply #25
If someone is interested. New updated GUI is available:

- auto-verify on creation of all APE files works

- added hacky about box

- [delete] keyboard shortcut now works

- Make APL mode now works

- few other little things

http://www.monkeysaudio.com/files/MAC_398a1_GUI.rar

Reply #26
A quick naive question:  is there already a compile (or compile-ready source) for linux/x86 ?

I suppose you can compile yourself from the sources.

And for foobar2000 users here's decoder that can play files encoded with new version.

The source has much too much Windows specific code, so compiling under Linux is an illusion.

I send a modified source to Monkey, which corrects some of the problems. When I find these changes in the official
code, I will continue porting the code to Linux.

It is possible to port it completely to Linux, but I don't maintain a second source code tree.
I have a second source code tree for 3.96, and I don't do this again.
--  Frank Klemm

Reply #27
Both compression and decompression speed was about 3.8...4.0 which is about 3 times slower as 3.97 extra high.

This makes insane comparable with optimfrog's 'extra' mode, both compression- and speedwize. I expected insane mode to blow away the competition, but it's not that bad either...

I'll wait with adding this to the graphs, since this is still alpha and things might change sooner now.

Ca. 10...12% speedup of compression and decompression is possible for (current) Pentium 4 using SSE-2 instructions.

For next generation Pentium-4 (Prescott) I expect a speedup of nearly 50% by using SSE-2 instructions.
--  Frank Klemm

Reply #28
The source has much too much Windows specific code, so compiling under Linux is an illusion.

I send a modified source to Monkey, which corrects some of the problems. When I find these changes in the official
code, I will continue porting the code to Linux.

It is possible to port it completely to Linux, but I don't maintain a second source code tree.
I have a second source code tree for 3.96, and I don't do this again.

Frank, I understand your reasons very well. Anyway, there should be an official command-line version with most of the source files identical between win32 and linux..  Your linux efforts should have been merged - but maybe he just doesn't care about unix ?

In the meantime, how is your SV8 development going ?

Cheers

Reply #29
I've been trying out the MAC v3.98 a1. I am glad that it finally uses APEv2 tags now as default, but I'm not sure the unicode has been worked out. I was noticing as I was tagging a CD that MA will not display the information tag if the ape file has an â (or I imangine a non-english character) in the ape file name or its path. The tags appear fine in Tag Control but when I try to diplay the information in MA then no window appears that would normally appear if the file name/path had no special characters.
I'm running Win2k

If anyone can confirm/ or tell me what I'm doing that would be great

thanks