Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Jean-Michel Jarre purists... Anyone ? (Read 4976 times) previous topic - next topic

Jean-Michel Jarre purists... Anyone ?

I have been a Jarre fan for many years now, and I wanted to know if there are any other people out here who have any suggestions for what album versions they like the best, IE is the best recording. I guess they aren't necessarily related, however I am sure you understand what I mean.

There has been a lot of re-releases of his albums, and if anyone has any suggestions Id be happy to take them. I guess this question comes with regards to the loudness issues that seems to plague a lot of new versions of albums coming out.

This question would particularly apply to the following albums:

Oxygene (1976/77)
Equinoxe (1978)
Magnetic Fields (1981)
The Concerts in China (1982)
Rendez-Vous (1986)

Any other input would be greatly valued.

Reply #1
I  bought the CD of Equinoxe back in 1986 when I bought my first standalone CD player and I still consider it to be a reference recording for testing out new hardware. In my opinion, it was decades ahead of its time for sheer technical quality.

Cheers, Slipstreem. 

Reply #2
I'd recommend both Oxygene and Equinoxe, in their Mobile Fidelity versions (aka MOFI, aka MFSL).
Probably hard to find now, but both are excellent.

Reply #3
I think the original LPs of Oxygene and Equinoxe are surprisingly good.

I say surprisingly, because some sounds are difficult to cut into vinyl, yet these recordings work well.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #4
I'd recommend both Oxygene and Equinoxe, in their Mobile Fidelity versions (aka MOFI, aka MFSL).
Probably hard to find now, but both are excellent.
Another recommendation for MFSL remasters. I own both albums an they sound great!
If age or weaknes doe prohibyte bloudletting you must use boxing

Reply #5
Thanks for the tips. Will see if I can get a hold of the Mobile Fidelity versions here in Norway somewhere. I got my eyes opened to Jarre from a cassette copy in 1988 so the audio quality wasnt what initially sparked my interest, but as age progresses (and, sadly, hearing decreases) I would like to get the most out of the albums while I can.

Glad to see fellow Jarre fans here, although Jarres albums after 1993 (Chronology) have so far been quite a disappointment IMHO.

Reply #6
I don't recommend the MFSL remasters, they lack treble a lot, compared to other pressings (and they are loud, -5.00dB average)  If you can get hold of the first CD issues made in late 80's, it is fine. Avoid the "-3.50dB" ones reissued in 1992-1997. I think Choronologie was poorly mastered, and Oxygene 7-13, the loudness race went to its limit for Jarre.