Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Quality of Sony DAC 6x Current-Pulse (Sony SDP-EP90ES) ? (Read 5087 times) previous topic - next topic

Quality of Sony DAC 6x Current-Pulse (Sony SDP-EP90ES) ?

Hello everyone,

I am running a setup of several Sony ES devices from the 1990s. I am now in need of a DAC to hook up my HTPC/TV/Laptop and wanted to get something from the Sony ES series. That brought up a nice offer for the "Sony SDP-EP90ES" which isn't mainly a DAC but more of a 5.1 sound processor. How ever, I would only use it as DAC.

According to google the DAC in it consists of "6x Sony Current-Pulse" and I believe that means it is a 1-bit D/A (or 6x 1-bit D/A) ?

But how good or bad is that compared to todays DAC standards?

Thanks in advance !

Re: Quality of Sony DAC 6x Current-Pulse (Sony SDP-EP90ES) ?

Reply #1
I used one for several years as digital preamp. It was the only affordable unit that could do it back then. It has a simple digital EQ build in.
The downside imho is that its noisefloor when using its volume control was pretty elevated when listening at the speaker with silence.
No idea how they managed the volume control but i doubt it was much computing power behind against todays DACs.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #2
I used one for several years as digital preamp. It was the only affordable unit that could do it back then. It has a simple digital EQ build in.
The downside imho is that its noisefloor when using its volume control was pretty elevated when listening at the speaker with silence.
No idea how they managed the volume control but i doubt it was much computing power behind against todays DACs.

I wouldnt even really need it as pre-amp as my amp is already doing everything I need? I am not even sure what usage a pre-amp would have for me. My amp is a Sony TA-F690ES.

So the problem with the volume control shouldnt affect me as I will use my main amp to control the volume?

So how does the DAC in it compare to todays DAC?
Is it still worth buying?

Reply #3
It will only convert 16bits 44.1/48kHz over optical or coax S/PDIF. As mentioned before todays units surely have a lower noisefloor and USB.
Look at that affordable one for example http://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-behringer-umc204hd.1658/

Reply #4
It will only convert 16bits 44.1/48kHz over optical or coax S/PDIF. As mentioned before todays units surely have a lower noisefloor and USB.
Look at that affordable one for example http://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-behringer-umc204hd.1658/

These reviews are typical example of modern audio myths on parade. In the insane view of the reviewer, audio quality seems to rest solely on jitter, which is in fact generally not an audible problem with modern audio gear with any pretense of quality at all. Between the lines one can see evidence that the products being hyped in that review  have many spurious responses that are about 70 dB down, which among other things means that they are completely outperformed by a Behringer UCA 202 ($29).

I think I even have a UMC204 or some other family members on hand, and while they are probably sonically transparency, their general performance is nothing to write home about, for the price or otherwise. They all look up hill to see the performance of their little $29 brother!

Reply #5
You see problems with the UMC204?
The only device we had a positive abx result for doing 44.1kHz audibly different then higher samplerates is the 202, isn't it?

Reply #6
I am now in need of a DAC to hook up my HTPC/TV/Laptop
What's on the analog side?...   Headphones?  Your stereo system?  Powered monitors???

All of that stuff should have a built-in DAC and analog outputs, so are you sure you need a DAC?     What's the problem you're trying to address?    The audio quality from your PC/TV/Laptop isn't necessarily substandard unless you're getting excessive noise,  or not enough headphone loudness, or something like that...     Distortion & frequency response are usually better than human hearing, so noise is usually the only potential "audio quality" issue.

Reply #7
What's the problem you're trying to address?
His collection of antiquated overpriced Sony gear is too small?

Reply #8
I am now in need of a DAC to hook up my HTPC/TV/Laptop
What's on the analog side?...   Headphones?  Your stereo system?  Powered monitors???

All of that stuff should have a built-in DAC and analog outputs, so are you sure you need a DAC?     What's the problem you're trying to address?    The audio quality from your PC/TV/Laptop isn't necessarily substandard unless you're getting excessive noise,  or not enough headphone loudness, or something like that...     Distortion & frequency response are usually better than human hearing, so noise is usually the only potential "audio quality" issue.

On the Analog side are 2x Magnat Zero 8 with a Sony TA-F690ES.

When I used my headphone dac I could hear a reduction of noise and clearer sounds. Probably because my TV' DAC or the DAC in mx HTPC's motherboard has bad current isolation or what ever it is.

Plus I would like to stay with an Sony ES device as I have 6 more if them and they have been working for me for 20years perfectly fine.