Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Need suggestions Voice encoding (Read 4798 times) previous topic - next topic

Need suggestions Voice encoding

Hi everyone,
    I need to encode a batch of voice tapes. They where encoded using a portable stereo recorder. They slould be encoded at something like 128Kbps stereo.

I have found an old thread which suggested ACC and VORBIS for this kind of encoding. The thread was dated Jan 28 2002.

Now we are at the end of the year 2003. Which coded do you suggest NOW for voice encoding ? Which seetting to use ?

Thanks you in advance

Heca

Reply #1
If it's really just voice i would recommend speex... otherwise vorbis at around q0

Reply #2
1. Why does it have to be stereo? Isn't your recorder mono?

2. Why 128 kbps? Speech would sound excellent with 80 or even 64 kbps. If you are going to record to mono (rather than stereo), 56 would be good, too.

Reply #3

2. Why 128 kbps? Speech would sound excellent with 80 or even 64 kbps. If you are going to record to mono (rather than stereo), 56 would be good, too.

With Speex you can get good quality 16 kHz mono at 28 kbps.

Reply #4

> 1. Why does it have to be stereo? Isn't your recorder mono?

> 2. Why 128 kbps? Speech would sound excellent with 80 or even 64 kbps. If you are going to record to mono (rather than stereo), 56 would be good, too.

My Voice recorder is.. stereo and I need the stereo sound because most tapes were recorded in open spaces with a nice stereo effect.

Heca

Reply #5
Quote from: Heca,Oct 18 2003, 10:50 AM
Quote from: Sebastian Mares,Oct 16 2003, 09:05 AM

My Voice recorder is.. stereo and I need the stereo sound because most tapes were recorded in open spaces with a nice stereo effect.

Heca

So it's got two mics with decent seperation? I've never seen it. Not saying it doesn't exist, but I've never seen it.